• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo's You're Under Arrest License Ends in January

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
This is sad. I really like AnimEigo's releases of their shows. They have been slowly drawing back from the market.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
OOP date should be 1/31/2012 instead of 1/21/2012.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Is that the right image? I know it's the one in the encyclopedia but the first series (which I think is the one the article is referring to) was cel-animated and not as brightly colored.
Anyway, sad to see that it's going OOP. I've got the first DVD and showed it to my anime club one night and they loved it, although I've never felt the need to buy more of the DVDs.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Is that the right image? I know it's the one in the encyclopedia but the first series (which I think is the one the article is referring to) was cel-animated and not as brightly colored.

Looks like it's from YUA: Full Throttle(3rd series).

As for this, will AnimEigo have any decent titles left? Seems like they slowly stepping away from the market and letting the licenses to the shows they made money off of slip away.

But for this show, I can see Sentai picking it up. Just so that they can claim that they have all 3 series licensed.

Last edited by tangytangerine on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
CAIMERAMAN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
This is truly the end of an era in anime fandom. You're Under Arrest (TV series 1) and Oh My Goddess (OVA) represented the best in Kōsuke Fujishima's work as well as grand enjoyment of early 90s anime. But all good things must come to an end, even great licensed titles. Thanks for all the years of holding this great series, Animeigo.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
Could be a good thing, I say. Maybe some other company that's actually not dead can get it, now and rerelease it.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
It's been several years since I last seen a copy of the AnimEigo's Your Under Arrest and I am surprised the license hasn't expired sooner to be honest.

Like CAIMERAMAN, I too enjoyed the TV series 1 of YUA. It had comedy, action and a pretty good plot. Although I liked the first season of Ah my Goddess as well, out of every series I watched from Kosuke Fujishima, YUA is my favorite.

At least the second and third season of this series were licensed, although it took several years. I would have liked to see them dubbed, but if it's better to have something than nothing at all.

I wonder though, is AnimEigo still in business? I haven't watched a show licensed by them since the Your Under Arrest TV series season one though, so it's been several years.

I've got to say, although YUA is a good, decent made series, I think it's underrated compared to other shows, at least these days. But since it's a older series, I can't say I am really surprised.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
CAIMERAMAN: It'll come back, either through Sentai or Right Stuf. It's not a "niche" title, so people will be willing to buy it, especially since the re-release will inevitably be cheaper than the current deals at Animeigo.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:27 am Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:

As for this, will AnimeEigo have any decent titles left?

Yes, but they're live-action samurai. Laughing

AnimEigo's YUA OAV dub work was one of the first good dubs such that even the Japanese director admitted directing the Japanese seiyuu to be more like the dub VA portrayal for the latter YUA TV series.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quote
AAAUUUGGGGHHHH I keep putting off getting it and now it's going OOP. Someone buy it for me dammit.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:08 am Reply with quote
I was a little late jumping on the You're Under Arrest wagon, but now I truly consider myself fortunate for having gotten the four box sets of Animeigo's release when I did. This show just stunned me--great DVD presentation with all its features, a great dub, and just a great show in general, mixing slice-of-life character-driven drama with occasional exaggerated action. The opening and closing songs (Love Somebody most especially) are wonderful, and it is a classic in every sense of the word.

I did enjoy the sequel series from Sentai even without a dub, but it really felt like they weren't necessary, repeating story elements or even new story elements that ignored past story elements. And since the original series was cel-animated, there was more life and love to the animation than the sequel series as well. I would've been happy with just this first series, while the sequel series were basically just dessert servings.

As far as I know, this series is at least on The Anime Network online. There can be a chance of it being re-licensed for a new DVD release, which would be great so that this series can stay alive for newer fans, but for me personally I'll always be happy with my Animeigo collection. What really needs to happnen is Dark Horse or anyone releasing the manga version in full, so my Fukushima library can be complete, or as complete as it can be with each new volume of Oh My Goddess coming out.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:49 am Reply with quote
I rented the first three of the four part You Under Arrest to bad I was not able to rent the last episode and one of Oh My Goddess years ago at a video store. To bad I was not able to rent more Oh My Goddess sad for what has happen to AnimEigo what is it website by the way. Sad
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:56 am Reply with quote
marcos torres toledo wrote:
... for what has happen to AnimEigo what is it website by the way. Sad

Add a dot com to the AnimEigo and you'll be good to go. Smile

But for those of you still looking to get YUA before it goes OOP, take a look at TRSI. (yes, I know, enough of the acronyms). Really though, they still show plenty of the volumes. In a moment of insanity I went and bought their mega-bundle a few months ago. Yes, $130 was a bit of a pill, but I really enjoy You're Under Arrest and it is cool to have the original series as part of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
tangytangerine wrote:

As for this, will AnimeEigo have any decent titles left?

Yes, but they're live-action samurai. Laughing

AnimEigo's YUA OAV dub work was one of the first good dubs such that even the Japanese director admitted directing the Japanese seiyuu to be more like the dub VA portrayal for the latter YUA TV series.

I too loved the show and the dub, one of the better if not one of the top ten dubs I have ever heard. If they ever do a top dubs better than the oringinal cast seiyuu list, this would rank up there. I will pop in the first episode now and then just for a quick chuckle when I have had a long day.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
To all those a bit panicky over the license expiring: Ummm, you do know that AnimeEigo has had the license since 2002 right?

There's no such thing as a R1 label that can hold a license for a decade. Nobody holds on to a property that long.

Also, I don't see AE going under, I see Woodhead retiring(the man has 2teenage sons and a Japanese wife) and appointing one his close friends to replace him or maybe his Japanese brother in-laws. AE lives off of live action stuff, thats what's helped keep them going.

Remember, ADV's Dirty Pair license officially expired on February 29,2008 that was nine years of holding those properties.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2