• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking: July 11-17

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:26 am Reply with quote
wait all together ano hana has sold 34,000 copies for the first volume...why hasn't this been picked up yet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
Because drama doesn't sell well here in the North American anime market.

Although AnoHana is an Aniplex title, so Aniplex USA could release it here if they wanted to. I wouldn't bet on it though.
Suzuku21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
wait all together ano hana has sold 34,000 copies for the first volume...why hasn't this been picked up yet?

Actually, when you factor in DVDs, it's sold 44k so far. I doubt AnoHana will be picked up here for the same reasons Toradora wasn't.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
Suzuku21 wrote:
Actually, when you factor in DVDs, it's sold 44k so far. I doubt AnoHana will be picked up here for the same reasons Toradora wasn't.

You've lost me here. Toradora the anime is published in R1 by NISA. Is your "here" somewhere else, or are you talking about the light novel?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Tora was picked up here, but not by any of the significant license companies that would give it a dub, which is why I doubt AnoHana will ever get a dub. It might be picked up on the cheap by Nippon Ichi though, like Toradora
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Because drama doesn't sell well here in the North American anime market.

Clannad and Blue Drop seem to of sold well for S23. Not to mention they just picked up both ef series. There's also Angel Beats under their belts.

Funimation also rescued Kanon, Air, and Haibane Renmei, so they must've sold pretty well in the past. Plus Spice and Wolf seems to be a huge seller.

Cruchyroll's first, and probably only, DVD release was 5 centimeters per second.

Then AnoHana also has the "Noitamina tag" attached to it and people would be much more likely give it a try should DVD/BDs surface. It's also highly touted and a great seller, so companies will have to give a few more looks than normal. Despite Bandai proclaiming Lucky Star sold very poorly, they still released K-ON because it's highly touted and a great seller.

So AnoHana has a very fair chance of being picked up. My guess would be S23.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
AnoHana v1 has sold 45k copies so far.

It's not going to be a cheap license.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure it is an expensive license, but that wasn't your arguement. You said dramas don't sell well here, so I cited recent examples of dramas being picked up and looking to be fairly successful. You came back with "it's not a cheap license".

OK. I argue that Angel Beats, Evangelion 1.11/2.22, Clannad, Katanagatari, Gurren Lagann, Haruhi Suzumiya, K-ON, and many others had very expensive licenses as well, and here they are on our shores. The only show off the top of my head in the last couple of years that is presumably being held up by an expensive license is Bakemonogatari, which, I think (not completely sure), is the best selling TV series ever after K-ON!!. If it's true, I can't say I'm shocked.

Also, AnoHana almost sells itself with the right marketing.

"From the studio that brought you Black Butler, Blue Exorcist, and Fairy Tail!"

"Animated by Masayoshi Tanaka of Toradora and Highschool of the Dead!"

"Directed by Tatsuyaki Nagai from Toradora, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, and Honey and Clover!"

"From the beloved Noitaminia anime block which brought you Eden of the East, Honey and Clover, Princess Jellyfish, Shiki and more!"

I repeat: I believe, AnoHana has a fair chance of getting picked up here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, AnoHana almost sells itself with the right marketing.
"quotes"

Those quotes don't sound like AnoHana selling itself honestly. Wink
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
OK. I argue that Angel Beats, Evangelion 1.11/2.22, Clannad, Katanagatari, Gurren Lagann, Haruhi Suzumiya, K-ON, and many others had very expensive licenses as well, and here they are on our shores

I don't disagree with you, but the only one in that list that can be called a drama is Clannad. All of the others had at least some amount of 'action' in it, or they just weren't dramatic period (K-ON).

Again, I said that if Aniplex USA wants to release it then it can. However, I do not think that they would sell it cheap to some other North American licensee. I personally don't see it happening from the trends I have noticed in the US market. If it happens then that'll be great. I'll definitely pick it up.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
no ano-hana will not be cheap but i think this would be a perfect title for nisa to pick up. Despite the lack of dubs, they have done wonderful with their sub only releases special editions.. I am sure some one will pick it up it in due time..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1