• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Manga of 2011

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oriana3k

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote
That list of most-anticipated upcoming manga has some titles that aren't licensed. Do they know something we don't? *crosses fingers for Gokusen*
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I just noticed they announced titles which even Viz didn't mention.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote
Ouch, no love for High School of the Dead? I don't think it is that bad of a manga, but I guess you can't please everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Gia wrote wrote:
The story is about a young man who falls in love with a teacher, although nothing happens between them until the boy is of age. Volin admitted that the first volume is a bit odd, but it suddenly "everything turns" around volume three and readers want to spend time with the characters...despite the lack of sex in the book.
I think the assessment of Bad Teacher's Equation is spot-on. While I felt the first few volumes have some awkward moments both artistic and plotwise, over the course of 10 volumes (to be released here in 5 doubled-up omnibus editions) it seemed like Kodaka really found her feet. The art improves-- so much so that, for example, had you shown me Masayoshi from v01 and v10 I may not have even realized he's the same character-- and the story branches out nicely as the cast interacts with side characters who have interesting stories of their own but also serve to develop the main characters' personalities/relationships.

As for the "lack of sex" in the earlier volumes, rather than a drawback* I actually thought it was a refreshing change. The romantic/sexual tension (something that I feel Kizuna's main couple lacks) is allowed to really build in a slow but natural way which makes the eventual, ahem, "payoff" that much more meaningful. (And while I won't spoil anything, I just have to say that the way a certain aspect of the story unfolds was a pleasant surprise.)

Like almost everyone else who's been anticipating the title, I first read it in scanlation form years ago. I was so wrapped up in the story I devoured all 10 volumes over 2 evenings (truth be told, if I hadn't had to work the next morning I probably would've pulled an all-nighter and finished it in one go). In fact, I actually prefer it to Kodaka's more-famous series Kizuna. So I am thrilled to finally have the chance to own it and am recommending it to fellow fans at every opportunity. Just talking about it makes me want to go back and dig up the old scans but I'm trying to resist so I can relish the story anew as it's released in book form. Must... have... willpower! Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

*[I know that's not what Gia was implying here but there are some BL fans that might overlook the title for that reason.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Wish they'd had time to go over in more depth why they nominated the best ofs, the worst ofs and the most anticipated titles, but overall this was a very interesting panel transcript.

And now I have even more series to check out, bookstores permitting.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
ANN now has a reviewer named Santos Santos? Carlo is going to be so surprised that he and someone else share a last name now.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Ouch, no love for High School of the Dead? I don't think it is that bad of a manga, but I guess you can't please everyone.

Given the people who were judging, it's no surprised fanservice titles got slammed Wink Oh, and Yu-Gi-Oh, because that's a kid's manga, which we all know is awful because it's for kids.

Poor Qwaser of Stigmata, would love to have the rest of the series in English if it ever gets rescued.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

Given the people who were judging, it's no surprised fanservice titles got slammed Wink Oh, and Yu-Gi-Oh, because that's a kid's manga, which we all know is awful because it's for kids.

Poor Qwaser of Stigmata, would love to have the rest of the series in English if it ever gets rescued.

Well I don't think anyone likes the Yu-Gi-Oh manga. I know they ran out of time, but I wanted to hear an explanation of why HSOTD the dead was the worst of 2011.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

Well I don't think anyone likes the Yu-Gi-Oh manga. I know they ran out of time, but I wanted to hear an explanation of why HSOTD the dead was the worst of 2011.
I was under the impression YGO was pretty huge in America. Guess I misheard.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

I was under the impression YGO was pretty huge in America. Guess I misheard.

I think the card game is still popular. I never liked the manga and I only liked the anime early on.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, the Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds manga has been generally panned as awful. They're not saying all the Yu-Gi-Oh manga was terrible (I haven't read any of it, so I reserve judgement), just 5Ds in this case.

I'm also mourning the loss of Qwaser of Stigmata. Tokyopop had their hands on a good number of series that I never expected to see licensed because they didn't look like good sellers, but I still wanted to read them. I mean, some times you just need some good, plotless, fanserviced stuffed manga to balance out all that stuffy high brow crap.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I just read the Drunken Dream and Others anthology, and it was amazing. I now need to check out more of Moto Hagio's work. I highly recommend it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Always happy to see Adachi's work get some praise! I loved the Cross Game anime and I'm sticking with the Viz omnibus releases of the manga, and I have to say I'm enjoying the story and characters all over again. Here's hoping that Viz can release some DVD sets of the anime eventually. And even better if we can get more of his work published here in the States.

Also... has Giant Killing been licensed? I really look forward to reading more about Tatsumi and ETU's ups and downs since the anime's ending really didn't do it for me.
NeoFireHawk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

Exactly.
I have always found extremely hypocritical that female nudity is now frowned upon by Western manga "connoisseurs", yet male sexuality in anime and manga is not only accepted, it’s the fastest growing trend in the American manga community, with yaoi genre increasing in popularity in America at an extremely fast rate.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
NeoFireHawk wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

Exactly.
I have always found extremely hypocritical that female nudity is now frowned upon by Western manga "connoisseurs", yet male sexuality in anime and manga is not only accepted, it’s the fastest growing trend in the American manga community, with yaoi genre increasing in popularity in America at an extremely fast rate.

Oh spare me.

I for one have no issues with the female body or the idea of it being presented in a non-exploitive way (though I can tolerate a *little* bit of rediculousness, and even beyond that I won't automatically reject something for having a bit of bounce)

I do have an issue with a series which seems to entirely cater to someone's breast-milk fetish, and involves a kid who looks like he's about ten sucking off a women's enormous dirty pillows for stupid plot reasons.

And I'm sure the people on this panel feel the exact same way. Having a little bit of standards doesn't automatically make you a prude

And I'm pretty sure Yugioh isn't being slammed because it's a kids manga (the panel gaive PRAISE to stuff like Gegege no Kintaro, One Piece and Kekkaishi), but more because it's pretty much become a souless cash grab meant to get kids to buy playing cards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3