• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Atelier Meruru Game Held Back in Japan Due to Rating

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, I wonder what stuff in the game that was considered "inappropriate".
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote
My guess it'll just go from A to B. I don't see why they have to stop shipment considering they've already sold a ton so it's a little to late to make much of a difference and the ratings A-D don't impose a restriction anyways
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote
I think this will help good relations between Gust and CERO. I don't want it to be another "Hot Coffee" thing of ESRB not trusting Rockstar for awhile. Not to mention that with this, there is no reason for law makers to bring the Tokyo Bill into this if they feel it violates things and they find CERO isn't good at their job.
tootbrush

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder what stuff in the game that was considered "inappropriate".

Probably that bath scene full of naked girls with only fog/foam/towels covering the important parts.

That, or it's the bath scene full of naked guys.
Cloud668

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Meruru no Atorie: Ārando no Renkinjutsushi 3 serves as the final part of Gust's Atelier role-playing game trilogy.

Meruru isn't the final part of the Atelier trilogy (it's the thirteenth game in the series, after all), but instead the "Arland trilogy" under the series.

I'm actually surprised that they got away before with Rorona and Totori having the word sperm in it. Like tootbrush said, the bath scenes are probably what prompted them to reconsider the rating, though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaaahhhh......... Gust is trying to slip one under their noses, eh? Laughing
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote
So now the version with the "A-Rated" cover will now sell for triple the MSRP on ebay?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Either this was a actual minor mistake (these tend to happen every now and then in games) or maybe something happened behind the scenes that we don't know about (and likely will never be reveled to the public)?

Either way, this will make the original copy not only rare, but make it significantly more valuable as well. This could easily turn into a collectors item given that the production of the original copy is likely to be quickly discontinued and any remaining copies (that haven't been sold yet) are likely to be thrown away or so.

Gust is probably trying their best to wash their hands on this entire ordeal, even though it's probably a pure mistake on their part. But who knows, maybe this isn't such a big deal after all and might simply be written off as a mistake and then forgotten about.
khaos1019

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
So now the version with the "A-Rated" cover will now sell for triple the MSRP on ebay?

That's exactly what I was thinking.
scchan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:48 am Reply with quote
As someone actually played the game, there is a few mild fan service scenes in the game (like breast jokes, panties shot). Some events also show mild yuri and yaoi flavour.

Overall the scenes are mild compare to what you will expect from Freezing, Secret Agent Aika. It is comparable to what you will expect from Love Hina and Saki.

I think the game is still very safe for a 16 years old, but younger folks may not appreciate the jokes Cool. I think it is reasonable to play safe with rating, and let the rating agencies decide what the game ratings should be.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
I think this will help good relations between Gust and CERO. I don't want it to be another "Hot Coffee" thing of ESRB not trusting Rockstar for awhile. Not to mention that with this, there is no reason for law makers to bring the Tokyo Bill into this if they feel it violates things and they find CERO isn't good at their job.

Actually this situation here kinda reminds me of the ESRB re-rating of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, anyone remember this? That game was originally going to be rated T, but end up getting an M-rating. I don't see how Atelier Meruru getting rating problem any different from what happen to Oblivion, yes I would also have to consider the Japanese version of "hot coffee mod" to probably be another reason, although we don't have enough detail on why this happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
scchan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
To see how close Gust trying to push the limits... yesterday Gust released DLC for Meruru, and there is a blog article about it (link is borderline NSW):

spoiler[http://blog.livedoor.jp/maxell011/archives/1552385.html]

If we have Gainax bounce, why not Gust bounce as well Twisted Evil .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1