• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Guide to Arrietty Screenings in U.K. and Ireland

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:20 am Reply with quote
Wonders will never cease - there are two screens locally. It's even on today, but since I'm leaving for work in an hour...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
I could go to one of the London or Portsmouth ones but I think I'll just wait till it comes out on DVD. I'm too lazy to travel a few hours to watch a film on my own.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I just got back from seeing this at the Irish Film Institute. I chose that screening over any of the larger venues because it was showing the movie subtitled instead of dubbed, but unfortunately there was some kind of weird error halfway through and they had to switch to a dubbed version.

And the dub was god-awful*. Most of the performances were on par with what you'd see in a Professor Layton game. Not that Layton games have horrible voice acting, but they're not exactly known for their subtlety or nuanced emotion. It completely killed the rest of the movie.

*(Keep in mind I'm talking about the UK/Ireland dub, which has different actors than the American one).
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Having had to misfortune to hear a minute of the dub Optimum Releasing-soon-to-be StudioCanal UK had recorded for Sammy's Adventure I'm far from surprised by that.

But on the positive side, if you can't see any subbed screenings within reach here I can assure you that this list is far from complete: in Leeds alone for example there are another two showing it, one of them showing it mostly subbed. I'd recommend using FindAnyFilm or just a Google search for cinemas for something more reliable.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
They're only showing the dub here and I had no problems with it, other than Pod's voice not quite seeming to suit him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1