• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Would an anime opening affect the rating you give?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would an anime opening affect the rating you give?
perhaps...
23%
 23%  [ 53 ]
no
38%
 38%  [ 86 ]
yes
26%
 26%  [ 58 ]
that makes no sense
11%
 11%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 223

lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
No, not for me there have been not so favorable OP for me and I would not want to base my whole thought on a show or series I was watching on a poorly executed OP, on the other hand I have seen really great Op's but the actual contents of the show left me wondering what happened here?
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I voted "perhaps..." as in perhaps if I am on the fence about what to rate a show a great opening could tip the scales up and vice versa for a bad opening.
Olaf Forkbeard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
Definitely.
I find that the openings and closings are like the way a person greets themselves. It will affect the overall opinion of the whole simply because it is first or last. There are of course people that don't make good first impressions but are still great to hang with. Unfortunately that first opinion will put off some people and they wont get to know them. If the opening deters someone from watching the show in the least it is effecting the overall opinion of the series.

I loved Baki the Grappler (Eng Dub) but I hated it's intro. Now when I recommend it I find myself warning people about the intro. That can't be good for it's overall appeal.
AntAskew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
If I don't like an opening I just skip through. For me it makes no difference what so ever.
germx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I only view the opening/ending once, the rest of the time I skip it. The opening might set the mood of the anime/film overall but I don't consider it part of the experience of the actual episode/show itself.

If there is good music though it can increase positive affect to the experience. But I don't think it would affect ratings in a negative way.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:03 am Reply with quote
germx wrote:
I only view the opening/ending once, the rest of the time I skip it. The opening might set the mood of the anime/film overall but I don't consider it part of the experience of the actual episode/show itself.

If there is good music though it can increase positive affect to the experience. But I don't think it would affect ratings in a negative way.

This. I tend to skip openings and endings unless I really like the music.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...for me it could. But I think I'd rate it on a whole and not so much about the OP. I can think of plenty of OPs that I did fast forward through but still enjoyed the show. Moribito is a perfect example. Enjoyed the OP the first time didn't want to hear it again. Mai Hime awesome OP awesome show. Kurau Phantom Memory good suitable OP loved the show, Denou Coil, couldn't do the OP but LOVED the show. And then there's Uta~Kata, nice song couldn't do the OP and <shudder> just didn't get the show.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I never participated in this thread because I thought it'd be an obvious "of course not" from me, and that's not interesting. However, Nichijou. Nichijou's Openings and Endings are so goddamn good. They're as funny and exicting as the show itself, and that's rare, and hard to do for a show like Nichijou. Usually OPs and EDs are just random animations with whatever "in" song they can afford. But the songs to Nichijou were seemingly made for that show. It's like Ishihara, Arwai, Hyadain, and Nishiya all got together over lunch and came up with those theme songs. I've just never seen theme songs and shows go together so well, and it really does affect my enjoyment. If anyone has seen me talk about Nichijou, they know I LOVE Nichijou itself, but the theme songs put this huge grin on my face and make me act a fool when they come one.

So while I don't know if my grade for the show would be different, they do add to my overall enjoyment of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pollysab

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:06 am Reply with quote
I'm really not sure I would like to say no, but when I really think about it there has been a few instances where I have watched an anime all the way through even when the opening was bad hopingit would get better but that never happening.
The_Seth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
A big old 'No' for this one, im one of thoes people who avoides watching the intro and endings because in a majority of cases they have a tendancy to completely spoil a show, as in showing characters that haven't come up in the story yet, or using an example in Bleach they completely gave away one of the Captains Bankai which annoyed the hell out of me.

Only after the series/season is over will i go back and actually watch the intro and endings just to see what they where like.
hikaru hasama

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I think that the opening and ending are important. It's kinda awkwardly good and bad when it has a totally weird beginning. But it all depends how good and interesting the opening is.
Konopan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
Jam Project can make me keep watching a show just for the OP.

But that's about it.
fawndler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I will say a good opening will make me want to watch the anime.

Awesome song and cool effects (Sweet \ 'o' /) but then the show ends up being not so good, On the other hand some of my favorite anime titles have the worst opening ever in my opinion
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but only really good ones. If it's bad, I just skip it and forget it even had an opening. But if it's really good, then I remember the anime more and my rating/enjoyment go up. Terrific openings (and endings) have even stopped me from dropping series before.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
No, openings have never affected a rating I'd give any show. It's just there: If it's worse, it will be skipped and if it's better, there's always Youtube. I never even treat it as part of the show; The way they're produced is far too manipulative to allow the opening to cloud any judgement regarding the show.

However, I have bought average shows just because I really liked the opening but that's completely different {And anime show producers go "Yes!"}. Example of my thinking: UFO Valkyrie Maiden was on sale, I made a note of it and that was it; I saw both seasons years before but I only thought about it being average art, ok comedy. Then I watched an ADV preview for the first season where they played the first season opening theme. Then I started singing along to it.

But what I remembered and what I sang wasn't the first season opening, it was the better second season opening. So I bought both seasons.

Also, I've watched shows based on openings I've liked and Geneon's habit of using entire openings as series previews is the primary example {Again, show producers are thrilled}. Rozen Maiden, Sugar and Karin just name a few. Again, it has nothing to do with how I felt about the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4