• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tenchi Muyo! GXP DVD 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote
A little hard on this series don't ya think?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, I reviewed volume 1 for the site, and have kept up with the series and certainly I haven't found it to be any sort of maligning travesty or hollow copycat. A little underwhelming, but certainly a fun spin-off that adds - instead of detracts - to the Tenchi canon.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote
From what I understand, GXP takes place between OVA 2 and 3.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:16 pm Reply with quote
No, it was only released between OVA's 2 and 3.

It's set after the events in OVA 3.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:58 am Reply with quote
Well, I have never been turned on to GXP, and I doubt I will now, but it may be worth a look just to see Seriyo again. The ol' pansy was amusing.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:01 am Reply with quote
Though I haven't seen this as yet, I have to agree with what is said on the whole. I too thought the same when I read the synopsis for this, and asked what was the point of this spin-off except to tell virtually the same sort of plot. In short, Harem fodder. But this seems to be Mr. Kajishima's theme and some have speculated that GXP might be just that, a manger for the haremphiles to feed in whilst leaving the OVA open to a different conclusion. like Tenchi chosing Ryouko to be his only bride. (Oops did I say that? Wink )
Professor Genius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
It seems to be fashionable for reviewers to slam just about everything that doesn't aspire to be as frightfully dull or pretentious as something like Gasaraki or anything by Mamoru Oshii. Tenchi GXP isn't aspiring to be freaking Shakespeare, and at least Watanabe pokes fun at the cheap animation (i.e. the clone students during Seina's track exercises). If anything it supercedes the watered-down humor of Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo and is much closer to the tone of the OAVs.

And the dub isn't passable either. It's great, despite the fact that Funimation was apparently too cheap to get the old VAs back for their cameos. If anything, Funimation is fastly becoming one of my favorite stateside anime companies. They're like the Pioneer of old.

So I say, bravo Funimation, bravo! Now get the original VAs back for Tenchi OAV series 3 and I'll start a religion to praise your glory! Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1