• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Tops 2004 Graphic Novel Sales

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Go Kenshin!

I'm so glad these two series did so well. It really shows that manga and anime fans support quality when Kenshin and Fruits Basket outsell better-known (but IMO lower-quality) properties like Yugi-Oh, Pokemon or Dragon Ball.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
What's impressive is that Fruits Basket did so well in the more mainstream book market. Exactly where you'd expect, as Wyvern stated, "better-known (but IMO lower-quality)" properties to be more successful.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Kenshin, Fruit Basket, Trigun are still riding the success of the anime.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:01 am Reply with quote
While I'm sure Fruba anime has been a success even without me watching it Anime hyper I'm thinking that the manga can pull its own weight.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:30 am Reply with quote
I'm not suprised with Kenshin, as this was doing well enough to get mentioned a couple of times in the New York Times. I was suprised with Fruit Baskets because it didn't seem to get much traction where I lived.

I just hope that the manga distributors don't try to follow Trigun's example and jack the price...
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I just hope that the manga distributors don't try to follow Trigun's example and jack the price...

I doubt it. Trigun was priced high because of it's thickness (I believe over 300 pages).
These really aren't suprising to me. I would like to see the entire list though. I'm sure the numbers are much diffrent for specialty stores, though Trigun will probobly still come out on top (speaking of manga only).
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:11 am Reply with quote
AnimeHeretic wrote:

Considering Tokyopop has a lion's share of the market with it's $9.99 offerings, and Viz followed suit with their stuff (chaging many of their titles to the $9.95 formats, and their SJ selections at $7.95), i'm seriously doubtful that there won't be such offerings in the future per the norm.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:22 am Reply with quote
Trigun V2 was 320 page.

If they release it in 3 volumes, it would of been 200 page each with 9.99 price tag like the current Trigun Maximum.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:28 am Reply with quote
DH still confuses me a little with their pricing. While it's based on the number of pages for their old format titles, manga that's straight to TPB is either more expensive than normal (Hellsing, Berserk) or far cheaper like Lone Wolf and Cub (each volume is about 300 pages for 10 bucks).
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:51 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Quote:

I doubt it. Trigun was priced high because of it's thickness (I believe over 300 pages).

That's just for the two Trigun graphics novels, I assume, since Trigun Maximum seems to be a longer "series."

Also, I've seen some copies of the Trigun graphic novels that are hardcover, which would naturally raise the price.
Arachne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Kenshin, Fruit Basket, Trigun are still riding the success of the anime.

Got to disagree with you on this point when it comes to Fruits Basket. Fruits Basket volume 1 came out in Feb, but the anime just came out like last month in America. Fruits Basket built up steam slowly, but by October we couldn't keep it in stock, it was selling out so fast.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:12 am Reply with quote
Arachne wrote:
Fruits Basket volume 1 came out in Feb, but the anime just came out like last month in America

What? The first DVD came out in October of 2002. The last one was released in May of 2003 with the series box set coming out this past November.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Arachne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

What? The first DVD came out in October of 2002. The last one was released in May of 2003 with the series box set coming out this past November.

Really? We just got in the store in November, and Borders was acting like it was a big brand new thing...huh, weird. But then again Borders supports manga more than anime. Sorry about that. I'm a manga fan, so I don't keep up with anime as much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1