• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Domestic/Int'l Animation Market in Japan Grew 5.8% in '10

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Yaaay go anime! or something.

Believe in the power of moe otaku who are willing to put down a hundred bucks for a Madoka BD.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the "anime is dying" people will be quiet now?

Probably not.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Positive news, that probably be ignored by the anime is dying folks
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Probably not.

Those people are usually talking about the North American market for anime. Obviously as long as the hardcore otaku/fujoshi in Japan continue to buy otaku/fujoshi-pandering stuff then it will never die.
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
It's not wholly positive if you read the article, as the the amount of TV anime is still down. There was a boost from a couple of really popular films. Although, it looks like the market is in a much better position than it has been for the last couple of years.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Probably not.

Those people are usually talking about the North American market for anime. Obviously as long as the hardcore otaku/fujoshi in Japan continue to buy otaku/fujoshi-pandering stuff then it will never die.
What goes round comes round. It might never die, but it will disappear from the tele as more and more of that is made and less and less normal people want to see it, apparently.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Disappear from the tele?

Who else would watch TV at midnight-4am?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Probably not.

Those people never clarify which market they are referring. So long as there is bad news on either side of the ocean that supports the idea anime is dying it will get mentioned as further proof of their cause.

You vastly over-estimate the power and numbers of otaku/fujoshi if you think they alone can support anime in Japan.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
You vastly over-estimate the power and numbers of otaku/fujoshi if you think they alone can support anime in Japan.

There are half a million people that attend Comiket. I don't really think I'm over-estimating them. Obviously the non-pandering shows will be trimmed, but with the sales of PMMM, Infinite Stratos, Tiger & Bunny, Oreimo, etc, I think it's pretty easy to see that otaku/fujoshi can (and are) sustaining the market.

The top 3 anime from summer season in DVD/BD sales will be: Idolmaster, Uta no Prince 1000%, and YuruYuri. All otaku/fujoshi shows.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
When they say 2010, do they mean January 2010 to December 2010? I'm not sure exactly what Japan's fiscal calendar is like for the animation market.

If so though, then I expect 2011 is even strong despite the pathetic summer. The year has started off strong with Winter and Spring bringing in a handful of solid titles like GOSICK, Steins;Gate, Madoka, Ano Hana, Tiger & Bunny, and Hanasaku Iroha, coupled with titles that carried over from last fall like Index II and Bakuman....and of course people trolling with Star Driver. Fall has a number of titles that are looking up for the remainder of the year including Shana III, Fate/Zero, other sequels, and the like.
If 2011 doesn't grow as much as 2010 did, then I see a problem given the stronger works this year...of course this is assuming a January to December calendar.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
This year has a lot more TV anime sales. Last year had a lot more anime movie sales.

Remember last year had Eva 2.22 (~750,000 copies sold), Nanoha (100k+), Gintama(100k+), Disappearance(100k+), Strong World(~100k?)

This is if by '10 it means Jan-Dec 2010.

Also, Gosick was under the Manabi Line (~3k) for most of its run.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

There are half a million people that attend Comiket. I don't really think I'm over-estimating them. Obviously the non-pandering shows will be trimmed, but with the sales of PMMM, Infinite Stratos, Tiger & Bunny, Oreimo, etc, I think it's pretty easy to see that otaku/fujoshi can (and are) sustaining the market.

Well sure if you assign the label of otaku/fujoshi to everyone that either goes to Comiket or picks up a copy of PMMM, then sure the otaku/fujoshi are sustaining the anime industry alone. Satire aside, I still think you are over-estimating the otaku/fujoshi numbers just because they exist as part of the general anime fandom.

Quote:
The top 3 anime from summer season in DVD/BD sales will be: Idolmaster, Uta no Prince 1000%, and YuruYuri. All otaku/fujoshi shows.

Instead of sales forecasting you should practice numerology, you'd probably end up right more often.
Banjo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
manga won't die, popular manga will turn into a success anime, therefore anime won't die.

the only thing that may stop animes for a while is world war 3, thinking about it is just silly~
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't really think numbers have any occult meaning, so I don't see how studying numerology would help.

And yes, I do think anyone who "picks up" PMMM is an otaku. Spending ~30,000 yen on such a series isn't to be trivialized. Anime in Japan isn't like it is here in the States. There are no "S.A.V.E." editions to placate the less hardcore fans or anything of its ilk. The "normal" people stick to manga. It's disposable and a lot cheaper. Those who buy DVDs and BDs are pretty much otaku/fujoshi. Obviously there are exceptions, but for the most part, it is true.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Except a couple thousand yen per volume isn't an anime only thing. That's the price point of video releases in Japan, period. Getting the 5 limited release volumes of PMMM would set you back 30k yen but so would buying 5 recently released live action movies with special features. Bare bone releases are not a boon needed in Japan because the people there probably have seen the shows on TV already and are buying physical releases for the extras, not just to get a copy on the cheap.

As for numerology. I was just saying the predictions found using numerology would be more accurate than your sales forecasting. Believing in the occult has little to do with it. 888 has no more meaning to me than 777.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3