• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Back With A Vengeance

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kraid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:40 am Reply with quote
I too have enjoyed viewing Mezzo, however, to get the most out of it I would also recommend watching the OAV Mezzo Forte since some of the later episodes refer back to it. I hope that the 3rd disk ends with a bang.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:52 am Reply with quote
Damn, is Sister Princess really THAT bad? Laughing
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:04 am Reply with quote
The premise of the show tells me it's that bad without even seeing it.
hkrok76

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:49 am Reply with quote
Sister Princess is great. One of the best of the past decade. Right up there with Spirited Away.

....that show was ten directions of bad. Yet, I still watched the entire first season....and I actually enjoyed it....oh yeah...it's because i'm a pervert. I really wish ADV would have just spent their money on releasing the tons of backlogged licenses they already have, quicker.....i like the review though. Stay away if you value your time. The biggest reason I see to pity Wataru though, is the fact that they are all his sisters....no sugar for poppa...without coming out with kids that have 8 toes and an ear on their forehead.
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
hkrok76 wrote:
Sister Princess is great. One of the best of the past decade. Right up there with Spirited Away.

....that show was ten directions of bad. Yet, I still watched the entire first season....and I actually enjoyed it....oh yeah...it's because i'm a pervert. I really wish ADV would have just spent their money on releasing the tons of backlogged licenses they already have, quicker.....i like the review though. Stay away if you value your time. The biggest reason I see to pity Wataru though, is the fact that they are all his sisters....no sugar for poppa...without coming out with kids that have 8 toes and an ear on their forehead.

Backlogged licenses? Most of what's left in their queue came from Anime Expo last year and are probably mostly on deck already and just haven't been formally announced. They've got nothing from 2003 or earlier except for Lets Dance With Papa. Considering how they were just a year or two ago, they're hardly backlogged.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
hkrok76 wrote:
The biggest reason I see to pity Wataru though, is the fact that they are all his sisters....no sugar for poppa...without coming out with kids that have 8 toes and an ear on their forehead.

your forggeting anime dating sim rule # 129

"If the female character the main character hooks up with is assumed to be his blood related sister by the end of the game,series they will find out she's just adopted"

At least thats how it worked in the Original Games in the anime he dindt end up with any of them more of a look lets just make yet another harem show and pack it full of loli's and incestial undertones.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Hoorah! Mezzo made Shelf Worthy! kriad, I don't think a viewing of Mezzo Forte is that neccessary to fully enjoy and understand Mezzo TV. I saw the whole TV series before I saw the OVA, and when I finally did I was a bit surprised... in a bad way. Not because of the gratuitous hentai elements, but because Mikura's hair looks so much better in pigtails. Wink In all seriousness, I like the TV show much, much better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo is right about GetBackers, it is a show that should be on the Shelf Life.
JHawkNH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
No it is not that bad. It isn't the greatest either. The storyline is sub par, but the characture designs are excellent. If you like cute girl shows this is a deffinent must see. If you must have action in your series, you may want to skip this one. This series had the potential to be a very good romantic/comedy, if you can get past that incest thing. Laughing
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote
JHawkNH wrote:
No it is not that bad. It isn't the greatest either. The storyline is sub par, but the characture designs are excellent. If you like cute girl shows this is a deffinent must see.:
Thats probly why I dindt bother with Sister Princess but enjoyed Repure. Since Sister Princess Repure was more one shot eps focusing on ah how sweet/cute that character is plus with the little 1/2 eps at the second part focusing on just one of the girls.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I find it kind of ironic that the title of Bamboo's latest Shelf Life column is called "Back With a Vengeance" because the other day my user profile was somehow corrupted, thereby deleting all of my prior posts and data saved in the My Anime section, so I had to re-register that same night. Now Koyori and I are back and better than ever! Very Happy

Mezzo: Cloe, kraid, and Bamboo, I absolutely agree with all of you. I rented the first volume and I loved what I saw; I haven't seen the second volume yet, but I will definitely buy all three volumes. The adrenaline rush from this series is unbelievable; it's like a cross between 24 and The X-Files, only Mikura is easier on the eyes than Jack Bauer! (Now I know why orange is my favorite color. HOT! HOT! HOT!!!)

Wolf's Rain: I read in Anime Insider that the reason why there were four recap episodes was that during the series' run in Japan in 2002, the SARS outbreak hit Asia. Studio BONES decided that insted of showing new episodes during the outbreak, they made the recap episodes and aired them on TV until those infected with SARS made a full recovery. I'm a little surprised that Bandai are releasing these episodes on DVD, but I guess they need to so that the fans of the series (in which I am) will have it for the sake of completion. Luckily, Adult Swim did not air the recap episodes.

Sister Princess: I'm also one of the lucky (or unlucky) few that likes this series (depending on how you look at it). I like watching cute girls make idiots out of themselves as much as I like watching more sophisticated series like Wolf's Rain, Texhnolyze, and Lain. I do give ADV a lot of credit for licensing a series based on a dating sim, because this could pave the way for other dating sim anime to hit North American shores (read: Kimi ga Nozomu Eien). I did like Bamboo's review of SP #2, though, as with all of the reviews in this edition of SL.

BTW, Bamboo: There's nothing wrong with your name. It's perfect. Wink

Last edited by biliano on Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:04 am; edited 2 times in total
hkrok76

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:26 am Reply with quote
There's so many better ones they could have started out with ^^

Well, considering Wandaba style was a 2003 title and licensed in 2003, yet it coming out just now in 2005....I think ADV has better things to do then license shows that even the fan community generally is either split on or detests.

I still like Sister Princess though....I just know that it's a bad bad show.
Rion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:57 am Reply with quote
So yeah um...Wolfs Rain fell in the recap epsiode trap?......
Wow after seeing the first two volumes, (have Yet to see the third still) I never would of guesed that they would halt the plot for recap episodes.....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
hkrok76

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
well, what biliano said makes a lot of sense, if they stopped because of the Sars epidemis. We're very UScentric, (if you're in the US). We didn't really have the SARS epidemic, we knew about it, but there weren't breakout cases iirc. It makes me more forgiving for the recap episodes. Some people want the entire series, which is probably why i believe all 4 recaps were placed on one dvd, right? If you don't like it, don't get it.
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I recall back in 2003 that the World Health Organization had to quarantine the city of Toronto for about a week because there were numerous cases of SARS there. I think there were a couple of cases of SARS in the Cleveland area back in 2003, but there were too few to warrent an outbreak.

It would had been nice of Bandai if they were selling the volume at a lower MSRP because I believe it's highway robbery to pay full price for a bunch of clip shows. However, since I have the Wolf's Rain artbox, I'll buy the DVD anyway. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2