• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pop Japan Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blues of Hadal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:21 am Reply with quote
a loud african american
wow thats new and exciting
hikura

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:00 am Reply with quote
Blues of Hadal wrote:
a loud african american

Alot of americans are loud.I am american and freely admit this.But not all of us this way(this includedes all races..there are loud whites,asians,african american,native american the entire sprectrum).But please do not just say one type of american is loud.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:37 am Reply with quote
sersuly that comic is really funny.

the fat white dufe in the "we are otaku" shirt had me cracking up.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:42 am Reply with quote
Blues:
Quote:
a loud african american

It's why I read The Boondocks.^_- Although I think the manga's just exaggerating Isaac. Of course, I haven't really hung out with him in a non-business setting, so I can't really comment.

Anyway, I actually saw the preview at AX, but didn't know it was going to be a series. Depending on the price, I might give it a shot.

BTW, does anyone know if the movie he was watching was real? And if so, whether it was anime or live-action?
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:56 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Blues:
Quote:
a loud african american

It's why I read The Boondocks.^_- Although I think the manga's just exaggerating Isaac. Of course, I haven't really hung out with him in a non-business setting, so I can't really comment.

Anyway, I actually saw the preview at AX, but didn't know it was going to be a series. Depending on the price, I might give it a shot.

BTW, does anyone know if the movie he was watching was real? And if so, whether it was anime or live-action?

I concur. I'd like to get my hands on this. It does look interesting. If anything, the otaku stereotypes are hilarious.

The movie they were watching looks more like a parody. The only series I know with the word 'Japanesque' in the title is a shoujo manga and none of the girls in it would likely wear the Saint Seiya-esque armor the girls in the film were wearing.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, left to right, I kinda thought they'd make it a little more "authentic" being a comic about Japan. Looks like it'll be a fun book, I'll probably pick it up if I can find it at retail.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I think the whole point of the exagerations is to get people like us to realize what we look like to the Japanese. From that perspective, it was funny and I'll pick up the manga if it becomes available.

Doubt I'll do a tour though, because I can't afford $1800.
Blues of Hadal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Hmm, left to right, I kinda thought they'd make it a little more "authentic" being a comic about Japan. Looks like it'll be a fun book, I'll probably pick it up if I can find it at retail.

Emerje

i guess you didn't bother to scroll down did you
where it says
"Here's a preview of the PJT Manga! But don't be fooled - although this manga is read from left to right, this manga will be held in the traditional Japanese format, the right to left way! Hope you all enjoy this exclusive preview! "
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:50 am Reply with quote
Blues of Hadal wrote:
i guess you didn't bother to scroll down did you

No, I didn't, they should have put that at the top, I'm sure a lot of people didn't scroll down past the manga.

Is that even possible though. I mean, to change it from left-to-right to right-to-left wouldn't just involve reversing the page order, but they'd also have to flip the images as well, which can't be done with writing everywhere. I'm curious how they'll be able to do that.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:59 am Reply with quote
Errgh, I hate it when it's read left-to-right, but the book is right-to-left... one or the other, people!

Regardless, this looks amusing and educational. ^^ I may check it out. I didn't know about the whole Pop Japan tour thing, sounds pretty cool if I had the money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:05 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Errgh, I hate it when it's read left-to-right, but the book is right-to-left... one or the other, people!

We're lookin' at *YOU*, ADV! Razz

Jadress wrote:
Regardless, this looks amusing and educational. ^^ I may check it out. I didn't know about the whole Pop Japan tour thing, sounds pretty cool if I had the money.

The site used to have photos of past tours (didn't check to see if they're still up); I think there's one of Aka-san "molesting" some seifuku-wearing Japanese Schoolgirls (he - and some tour participants, I believe - had some photos taken with a couple of girls on the street).
Ranmah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:33 am Reply with quote
I thought it was funny. Though I was annoyed with the Sterotyping of the American fan. I hope the Japanese don't consider us all loud mouths.

A girl from Indonesia was surprised that there were Asians living in the US. Thank you trash TV.

I don't need a tour. Its only a two half hour flight to Tokyo. Razz

Ranmah
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:02 am Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:
I thought it was funny. Though I was annoyed with the Sterotyping of the American fan. I hope the Japanese don't consider us all loud mouths.

A girl from Indonesia was surprised that there were Asians living in the US. Thank you trash TV.

I don't need a tour. Its only a two half hour flight to Tokyo. Razz

Ranmah

Hush darling.
Aka-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
quincyarcher wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Blues:
Quote:
a loud african american

I concur. I'd like to get my hands on this. It does look interesting. If anything, the otaku stereotypes are hilarious.

The movie they were watching looks more like a parody. The only series I know with the word 'Japanesque' in the title is a shoujo manga and none of the girls in it would likely wear the Saint Seiya-esque armor the girls in the film were wearing.

Shocked Wow, that pretty harsh about African Americans. (But, I can't stop laughing at the comment.) I'm already getting hate mail from people from Texas! (*Some were even AR customers from Sweetwater and was wondering if we were making fun of them!) Yeah, americans in general are super loud, epecially if your'e from Ny or LA. (WESTSIDE!)

Gatsu: To answer some of your'e questions, No! The real Isaac Lew is much more pleasant than that dude. It's the Aka-san side that's crazy. Nakajima sensei just decided to turn up the annoyance level... I guess.

Quincy: The series is indeed a parody of some of those most famous animes. You'll be seeing alot of that soon...

Sorry for the page flipping problems. I'll have the correct 1-10 pages next week.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:20 am Reply with quote
Wasn't it funny that even though the book will be published right to left, the way to turn the online page was to click on the right button (ie., left to right.)

I think this is a perfectly accurate view of all Americans actually. ?Smile

Widya Santoso
--
Why, is my bias showing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2