• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Doraemon Train to End Service in October Due to Ad Ban

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Slightly misleading article. It made it sound like Tokyo has enacted some ban against outdoor advertising which would have totally changed the face of Tokyo! Can you imagine Tokyo without outdoor advertising?

What really happened was that the painting was too big and they didn't fill out proper advertising forms because they didn't see it as an advertisement. They also never paid or never were paid advertising fees.

Basically they didn't fill out the proper paperwork.

Seems like there would have been some other form claiming they were a museum and not an ad they could have filled out instead.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
but why would there even need to be such a law in the first place?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
But is the K-ON train safe? That's what really matters!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
but why would there even need to be such a law in the first place?

Probably so anyone couldn't just put up large billboard ads all over the place blocking everyone's view, without needing a permit. Laughing

Murder She wrote:
The government explained that the train violated the law on outdoors advertising that exceeds a standard size without a permit application.

If they really want to continue the Doreamon train, all they have to do is file for the permit.
domokun1134

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Works the same way here in the US.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Murder She wrote:
The government explained that the train violated the law on outdoors advertising that exceeds a standard size without a permit application.

If they really want to continue the Doreamon train, all they have to do is file for the permit.

Makes me wonder if they could have made an argument that each car was under the limit... but alas, they also forgot to make the press release in English, so the world may never know.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
Well, considering that's it's not the advertisement itself that's causing the blockage but the object the advertisement is on, then it stands to reason that if the objects you'll be placing the ads on are already permissible like the train, then you would not need such a permit

domokun1134 wrote:

Reason met with the city council of Cleveland and took them to task over the same type of issue. There are a lot of "blind" and petty irrational laws here yes, but many of the mostly civil matters always stand a chance to be changed (.. though sometimes for the worse), unlike in Japan unfortunately where's there's a lot more inertia once something's in place.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:51 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Well, considering that's it's not the advertisement itself that's causing the blockage but the object the advertisement is on, then it stands to reason that if the objects you'll be placing the ads on are already permissible like the train, then you would not need such a permit

domokun1134 wrote:

Reason met with the city council of Cleveland and took them to task over the same type of issue. There are a lot of "blind" and petty irrational laws here yes, but many of the mostly civil matters always stand a chance to be changed (.. though sometimes for the worse), unlike in Japan unfortunately where's there's a lot more inertia once something's in place.
I suppose they could have got away with that if it was an underground train, but I can see why such a law has come into being, which is to prohibit graffiti, and technically that display on the side of that train, no matter how detailed and accurate, will be considered as such without approval from the council. Clearly there must be a hefty fee that goes with that application else the train company would simply park those units and run standard livery units until said application was applied and approved, but I also think there is a time limit for that ad to run which might not be long enough for the application beaurocracy to complete. The train company will only bear the cost of removing those stickers from the side of the carriages. The cost to the museum will be the bigger loss. Shame really as that's the first example of an "itasha" train I've ever seen.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
The bus system in my town does stuff like this all the time however, though I suppose we could ban that if I bother to start something!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1