• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animator: Gurren Lagann Helmer Imaishi Establishes Studio

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Guess that means Gainax is now officially and wholly artistically bankrupt and no different from DEEN or JCStaff.

They still have Hiroyuki Yamaga, Shouji Saeki and... um... Yeah, they're screwed, unless they find a bunch of promising newcomers.

Easy solution, build a time machine, and drag 1980's Hiroyuki Yamaga into the present.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Goodbye GAINAX, hello whatever Imaishi comes up with next at this new studio. I'm sure a lot of his best buddies from GAINAX are going to follow him (though Yoh Yoshinari apparently went to Produciton IG, but I'm sure he'll be willing to help out Imaishi. Although I'd like to get more info on that since the reports that went alongside Yoshinari going to GAINAX said that Imaishi went to Khara, which obviously didn't turn out to be the case).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA, whoa, whoa! </M>

Apologies for not previewing before posting; the faux HTML tag was supposed to say "</MO>" with a hyphen after the M.
J3N0V4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Does this mean a better chance of getting 'Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer' animated? Smile

Oh dear god please let this be the case. I would go to Japan and worship the ground these men walk on if that were the case
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:01 am Reply with quote
Good luck to them. It's already hard being a new business, even harder for any business in this economy. They may start up doing side-works and commercials to pay the bills.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
Website for the new studio: http://www.st-trigger.co.jp/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CKSqua

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:

...Gainax seems like it will be on shaky ground; I guess it's a game of "wait and see" for how good the stuff is they will be doing.

It's the same dismantling that's been happening to many creator oriented studios.

Madhouse as we know it is finished. Satelight has been bleeding staff over the past couple years. Gonzo never really gelled too well and merely survives in name.

BONES is feeling pinched, and recent policy changes have resulted in lower quality. However, their management seems to be stronger (despite recurring rumors of internal strife).
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
Looks like some of the people who made me fall in love with Gainax in the first place are branching out on their own...

I'm worried that in these tough economic times, Gainax will crumble, and this new Studio (I guess it's called Trigger Inc?) will also, well, crumble 8I

It's worrisome indeed but I still wish them luck, and I plan on supporting them as much as I possibly can Smile
Pacific Pikachu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Part of me wonders if some sort of drama took place within the last year or so. I have a friend who worked at GAINAX in the CG department (gave me a personal tour of the studio in 2009!), but only about six months ago or so he said he was leaving GAINAX as well. Only said for "personal reasons" and didn't elaborate. It does seem like many of the very talented people at GAINAX are leaving, and that leads me to wonder why. Might e-mail my friend and see if he'll let me know anything. Some of the people who are leaving surprise me, I know Otsuka's been with GAINAX for quite a while.

I hope that this new studio will be able to hold up and have the artistic freedom that they seek, and I also hope that what remains of GAINAX continues to create good works. It just makes me sad to see such a wonderful and talented group of people getting all split up, but it could be that Imaishi's new studio will end up having a significant portion of them.

I guess only the future will tell what happens next. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2