• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: World-wide Anime Market Worth $100 Billion

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I think the industry would work better if everyone stopped licensing crap.

Yeah, that would be nice.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The report suggests that, over time, the North American market may grow to twice the size of the Japanese market.

Ooh, looks like JETRO may take Go West's throne as the "King[s] of Wishful Thinking". While I can see a show on the horizon that will probably be DBZ popular, there don't seem to be any Japanese cartoons on the horizon with quite the same amount of mass merchandising potential as Pokémon or YuGiOh, which is where the bulk of the profits are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

Define what you mean. Do you mean crap as in crappy shows, or crap as in "stuff" meaning anime series in general?

I'm assuming the first meaning I gave, since that'd make sense. Sorry, guess english slang has gotten so that a word can have several different meanings depending on the context.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Considering the relatively small amount from the total overall Japanese productions that has exported from there, the potential could be that great. But this is just market speculation. The truth will be a lot less, but I've got a 50% chance of being wrong. Wink
-X-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
$100,000 people? Please to fix.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that they think that the US market may surpass the Japanese market.

I do hope that doesn't mean that they'll become Americanized in the future.

One can imagine 10 years from now, where some unemployed US animators hang out in bars grumbling that "Those gol'dang Japanese takin' away American jobs wit' their furrin' cartoons..."
Anji

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
There's something weird about this article. In one sentence, it states that the North American market for anime is shrinking. (..."revenue from home video releases has actually been decreasing") Then later on, it states that the North American market is growing and may eventually be twice as big as the Japanese market. I don't understand how revenue for video can be decreasing, yet the overall market is growing so much it may double Japan.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:03 pm Reply with quote
AnimeHeretic wrote:
One can imagine 10 years from now, where some unemployed US animators hang out in bars grumbling that "Those gol'dang Japanese takin' away American jobs wit' their furrin' cartoons..."
They were saying that five years ago...

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
Sorry, guess english slang has gotten so that a word can have several different meanings depending on the context.

and it all can be figured out from inflections in the tone of voice and facial expressions, which of course can't be distinguished on the internet

that was way off topic, sorry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
Anji wrote:
There's something weird about this article. In one sentence, it states that the North American market for anime is shrinking. (..."revenue from home video releases has actually been decreasing") Then later on, it states that the North American market is growing and may eventually be twice as big as the Japanese market. I don't understand how revenue for video can be decreasing, yet the overall market is growing so much it may double Japan.

The home video market shrunk.

The total market grew. And they're stating that they expect the total market to grow to become larger than the Japanese market.

As I stated in the article, the total market includes licensing rights for TV broadcasts, merchandise, video games, and so on...

What's more, they could be speculating that the Video Market will overcome its recent "hiccup."

-t
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:41 am Reply with quote
I think that the more anime gets on TV the smaller the video market will get, especially as the trend seems to be be going to TV first. Since more people prefer the dub, they can watch it for free (or for cable fees). Licensing will do better for TV, so long as the advertising money is there.

It might force the video marketing to change and be like the current way of selling modern US TV series where they sell a season for $30-40, though quality would suffer...
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:17 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

And who decides what's crap?
I'm sure there's stuff in my collection of anime you'd consider crap, but I had my reason for picking up. I'm thrilled to death Master of Mosquiton is making it to dvd in June because I like several of the VA's & I love Satoru Akahori. His Mouse is pure fan service, but I enjoy it as part of his work although, as a chick, I could care less about the f-cupped(larger?) chicks.

America is the market everyone wants to break because we are huge. Come one, you could fit Japan into the borders of any number of our states. The added sales don't hurt the company ledgers. And the article says world, not just US. I asked the local import shop just how well Saint Seiya does since they're always stocking plastic figures(including some $50 I noticed behind the counter besides the $8 ones of Ikki & Shun I was considering--very well among the Hispanic community. The Americas doesn't just mean the US. Canada is in North America, remember, & all the South American countries are also part of the Americas. Every little bit adds up.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:26 am Reply with quote
Sydney2K wrote:
AnimeHeretic wrote:
They were saying that five years ago...

Except that a lot of Japanese animators are unemployed since a lot of their work is outsourced to Korea, the same way we do it here in the U.S.

American animators were all unemployed a mere four years ago, when the dot-com market crashed, and it had nothing to do with Pokemon. Nowadays it's more like "Darn 3-D animation..."

(I work in animation, I hear a lot of complaints.)
hkrok76

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:47 am Reply with quote
well...considering american animation has started it's assimilation, I don't think Japan will replace it...ever. We're hardarses here. The "made in america" actually does resonate with many people as something positive. Have some pride in your country, stuff like that. Anyway, I see a bleak future for sub fans and purists. But most of you people probably dont' give a crap about us. So screw it.

My main point of this post, before I went off on a tangent, is that American animators will not be left out in the cold. There will be ups and downs. That's how the world works. Recessions, recoveries, and gains. It hurts a lot more going down though =/
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
America is the market everyone wants to break because we are huge. Come one, you could fit Japan into the borders of any number of our states.

The physical size of the country really has nothing to do with it (after all, you can fit all of North America (USA, Canada, Mexico) into Russia and still have room for Japan). More important is the population, and how much they spend.

Right now the Population of the United States is only a bit over twice the poulation of Japan. 293.0 million in USA, 127.3 million in Japan (numbers as of July 2004), Canada ads another 32.5 million to the size of the North American market.

Comparatively, the European population is close to 500 million (The core EU-15 has a population of 376 million, the other 125 come from the poorer eastern European countries that joined in 2004), but their spending habits are different than North Americans. The cost of living is higher, and they tend to spend less on forms of entertainment (movies & video games in particular) that are popular in North America. But they spend more on other forms of entertainment (restaurants and travel in particular). This is largely a cultural difference. This is why, despite being larger than the United States, the anime market there is only expected to grow to half the size of the market in the USA (the same size as the market in Japan). Other products could easilly make much more money in Europe than North America...

Yes, the American market is a big one that most companies would like to break into, but it's not "huge" compared to other markets around the world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2