• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Fate/Zero Screenwriter Gen Urobuchi

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
"for the new characters and the plot, and showed it to Nasu-san for her supervision. "

"We were afraid that if Saber excessively increases her distrust toward Kiritsugu, he would not easily open his heart to Shiro, who is Kiritsugu's adopted child."

What?

I think the gender is messed up in this interview.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
Weird, I thought that was fixed in the draft that got posted. Anyway, it's fixed now.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
Something that I wish had been asked was if making spoiler[Kiritsugu Illya's father planned from the beggining back when the original VN was being written, if Nasu suggested that Urobuchi write that into the F/Z novel, or if that was Urobuchi's idea?] Although he did say that 90% of the novel was Nasu's ideas, so I guess its likely that it was planned from the start. But I'm very interested in hearing how that came about. Now, I've never read the Visual Novel, I've only seen the anime and read the manga, so there may have been hints in there to suggest this was the case but it was a huge surprise for me. I never would have considered the possibility that those characters were related like that.

Also, he thinks the Fate/Zero anime is only 14 episodes long? Hasn't it been confirmed that the show will be 26 episodes?
Beized

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Something that I wish had been asked was if making spoiler[Kiritsugu Illya's father planned from the beggining back when the original VN was being written, if Nasu suggested that Urobuchi write that into the F/Z novel, or if that was Urobuchi's idea?] Although he did say that 90% of the novel was Nasu's ideas, so I guess its likely that it was planned from the start. But I'm very interested in hearing how that came about. Now, I've never read the Visual Novel, I've only seen the anime and read the manga, so there may have been hints in there to suggest this was the case but it was a huge surprise for me. I never would have considered the possibility that those characters were related like that.

Also, he thinks the Fate/Zero anime is only 14 episodes long? Hasn't it been confirmed that the show will be 26 episodes?

That information was in the original VN, and the anime if you pay real close attention in one episode.
mage127

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Something that I wish had been asked was if making spoiler[Kiritsugu Illya's father planned from the beginning back when the original VN was being written, if Nasu suggested that Urobuchi write that into the F/Z novel, or if that was Urobuchi's idea?] Although he did say that 90% of the novel was Nasu's ideas, so I guess its likely that it was planned from the start. But I'm very interested in hearing how that came about. Now, I've never read the Visual Novel, I've only seen the anime and read the manga, so there may have been hints in there to suggest this was the case but it was a huge surprise for me. I never would have considered the possibility that those characters were related like that.

spoiler[ It is heavily implied that Kiritsugu is Illya's father in the original Fate/Stay Night visual novel and outright stated in the sequel Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. It does explain a good deal of the love/hate relationship that Illya has with Shiro in Fate/Stay Night. Illya was told by the Einzbern family that she was the daughter Kiritsugu abandoned and Shiro was the son her loved. The fact of the truth of the matter was that Kiritsugu repeatedly begged the Einzbern family to give him back Illya for years until he finally passed away. Those were the frequent "business trips" that Shiro mentions his father going on. ]

I assume that Gen Urobuchi misspoke as Fate/Zero is being split into two 13 episode seasons (with one 1 hour special) with a season break in between as opposed to a straight 26 episode TV series.

The thing I was unable to discover was if spoiler[ Waver Velvet was known to be Lord El-Melloi II before or after Fate/Zero. I am fairly certain that was mentioned either in his write up in the Fate/Stay Night character material art book or Fate/Hollow Ataraxia but I could find nothing definitive about that. ]
4nBlue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
mage127 wrote:
The thing I was unable to discover was if spoiler[ Waver Velvet was known to be Lord El-Melloi II before or after Fate/Zero. I am fairly certain that was mentioned either in his write up in the Fate/Stay Night character material art book or Fate/Hollow Ataraxia but I could find nothing definitive about that. ]

spoiler[He played a key part in restoring the El-Melloi family to their previous glory when they were on the brink of destruction after the death of previous Lord El-Melloi. Because of this he received Lord El-Melloi II as a nickname and later the true head of the El-Melloi family made that title official.]
iathomps

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Wait, is Kinoko Nasu male or female? I can't find any pics of this person. And the name is a stage name that means "mushroom eggplant", right? Anyone got any info?
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
iathomps wrote:
Wait, is Kinoko Nasu male or female? I can't find any pics of this person. And the name is a stage name that means "mushroom eggplant", right? Anyone got any info?
By all accounts I've ever heard, Nasu is a guy. Indeed, I find it hard to imagine a woman writing Fate/Stay Night......
Dark Love

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
iathomps wrote:
By all accounts I've ever heard, Nasu is a guy. Indeed, I find it hard to imagine a woman writing Fate/Stay Night......

1) Jouji Nakata referred to Kinoku Nasu as "kanojo" during a Q&A session at an animecon in the US
2) The original script for Fate/Stay Night written during Nasu's highschool years had Saber as a man and the protagonist as a girl

Somehow, I always had a feeling Tsukihime and F/SN were written by a woman.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:19 am Reply with quote
I hope the BD box has a sweet interview like this on it. This guy is fantastic.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
Dark Love wrote:
1) Jouji Nakata referred to Kinoku Nasu as "kanojo" during a Q&A session at an animecon in the US
2) The original script for Fate/Stay Night written during Nasu's highschool years had Saber as a man and the protagonist as a girl

Somehow, I always had a feeling Tsukihime and F/SN were written by a woman.
Interesting. Pretty hard to argue with that pronoun. (I'm not very familiar with Tsukihime, but I don't have any difficulty seeing KnK being written by a female.)
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Interesting. Pretty hard to argue with that pronoun. (I'm not very familiar with Tsukihime, but I don't have any difficulty seeing KnK being written by a female.)

I however have always thought of Nasu as a guy. (He's) into tabletop RPGs and the sex scenes don't seem to be written by a female. Anyway, this is the only proof I managed to get.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
I however have always thought of Nasu as a guy. (He's) into tabletop RPGs and the sex scenes don't seem to be written by a female. Anyway, this is the only proof I managed to get.
No idea if the picture is legit, but there you go.
Dark Love

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
No idea if the picture is legit, but there you go.

Urobuchi and Takeuchi refers to Nasu as "he" most likely to protect his/her identity as a writer (as opposed to Jouji Nakata, who isn't in the writing business, hence his slip up referring to her as "kanojo").

As for that photo, it was listed on an English page under the section on 428. My guess is that's a photo of a character from the game.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching the three episodes available on Crunchyroll, and I have to buy the BD because this kicks ass Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2