• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Memorandum: Trivia

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Today's memorandum focuses on another vital section of the Encyclopedia.

Trivia
This section is strictly for useful information that must be related to the title. Such information includes the following:

References to other titles or outside material

Quote:
RahXephon - The book Barbem is holding when Ishiki shoots him is The Wizard of Oz. It is a reference to the line, "Pay no attention to what the man behind the curtain is doing" from the book, an appropriate reference considering Barbem's manipulation of the human race for his own ends.

Historical events

Quote:
Rurouni Kenshin - Several Rurouni Kenshin characters were based (to varying degrees) on prominent Shinsengumi members. These included Makoto Shishio (former captain Kamo Serizawa), Aoshi Shinomori (vice-captain Toshizo Hijikata), Soujiro Seta (first unit captain Souji Okita), arms dealer Kanryuu (fifth unit captain Kanryuusai Takeda), and Sanosuke Sagara (tenth unit captain Sanosuke Harada).

Explanations to punchlines

Quote:
Azumanga Daioh - In case you didn't get the Bruce Lee joke on episode 13, here's a short explanation: many Japanese people have difficulty pronouncing foreign names. At the same time, they have trouble pronouncing 'r' and 'l', as they use the same katakana or hiragana character. In addition, 'th' is pronounced 's', as they use the same character as well. As a result, Bruce Lee can be mistakenly pronounced as "Blue Three".

Quote:
The Super Milk-chan Show - In episode 1, when Milk-chan and the gang search for a money counterfeiter, they identify the real currency as bearing the face of "Kin" while the fake currency has the face of "Gin". These are actually the names of twins Kin Narita (1892-2000) and Gin Kanie (1892-2001), Japan's oldest twins. ADV's version has Kin and Gin replaced with Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen.

Please refrain from posting useless information such as these:

Quote:
this movie is anime. It's just that the anime news network people think that it has to be made in japan to be anime.

Quote:
Rurouni Kenshin has a character in it with red hair.

Also, the Trivia section is not for posting questions such as these:

Quote:
What did InuYash's Father wish For?

Quote:
what is name of bus stop which appear in the totoro film?

(BTW, that last question was spotted in the Trivia section of Rurouni Kenshin.)

Useless information and pointless trivia questions will immediately be deleted from the encyclopedia, and, depending on the severity of the violation, the guilty party will be banned from submitting any further information.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:54 am Reply with quote
Perhaps we should have this thread stickied to remind others of what to post and what not to post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
chris keck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:40 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Perhaps we should have this thread stickied to remind others of what to post and what not to post.

Perhaps you should make this part of the instructions on the trivia submission page.

chris keck
chris keck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:48 am Reply with quote
What would be the difference between something that should be submitted as trivia and something that sould be submitted as "other information"?

chris keck

Last edited by chris keck on Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
chris keck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:52 am Reply with quote
One more thing.
areaseven wrote:

Useless information...will immediately be deleted from the encyclopedia...

Aren't useless information and trivia synonymous?

chris keck
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:18 am Reply with quote
chris keck wrote:
One more thing.
areaseven wrote:

Useless information...will immediately be deleted from the encyclopedia...

Aren't useless information and trivia synonymous?

chris keck

Useless and unimportant are two different things.
chris keck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:

Useless and unimportant are two different things.

I'm disinterested in what you have to say.

chris keck
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 am Reply with quote
Addendum
Posting personal opinions on the Trivia section is a major no-no. Entries such as these can - and will - get you banned from the Encyclopedia:

Quote:
Final fantasy- The Spirits Within might be an utter failure towards Final Fantasy fans. Did you know it is classified as Excellent by people who are not Final fantasy fans or have no idea what Final fantasy is?

Quote:
THIS SHOW SUCKS **** JUST LIKE THE CHARACTERS

Posting information on fansub/scanlation downloads is also subject to an instant ban. And please observe proper grammar when posting a trivia entry. Incoherent sentences will be taken down immediately once reported.

In addition, it is important that you post the trivia entry on the right anime title. Do not cry at us if you were banned because you posted Pokemon trivia on Rurouni Kenshin.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:36 pm Reply with quote
chris keck wrote:
What would be the difference between something that should be submitted as trivia and something that sould be submitted as "other information"?

chris keck

Other information is when you don't know where to put something. Or if you want to submit it for one of the staff only fields (like comment).

Trivie is interesting but unimportant information.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1