• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids TV to Broadcast G.I. Joe Sigma Six

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
By broadcast I hope they mean just show on TV, not as in provide voice acting, script writing, music and such. The way I see it, at least DiC was better at handling the classic Joe series in the production sense plus at least DiC had SOME people that understood anime like Jean Chapolin (yeah I know Sailor Moon and Saint Seiya were effed up but still, look up this guy's record...I'd strongly admire a guy like that compared to Kahn and Grossfield who can only see dollar signs and if you can win awards for selling cheesy writing and D-rated material you must be amazing but in a different way than a visionary such as Chapolin).

I know Joe's always been about lasers and no one ever dying, which raises the question of whether or not 4Kids can truly screw it up. On the other hand this is something from Gonzo, whose track record covers series not quite in 4Kids' best interests, so one must wonder if this new Joe series is a step above the 1980s and closer to what Mainframe did with Transformers in Beast Wars (focused continuity, minor character death scenes, a darker storyline in the follow-up series).
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Or would it be along the lines of Valor vs. Venom? Which I thought was good. Have they set a timeframe for when they plan on airing this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
MekkZ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I believe the script is being written by the same people who wrote Valor vs. Venom, yes, but the animation is going to be all GONZO, and thank *** for that because the CGI in VvV was crap in my opinion (and some of the writing for that matter).
I've been hoping for some time that Hasbro would get wise and hire a Japanese animation studio to do a G.I. Joe Anime series so this is really exciting for me.
4Kids is getting the broadcasting rights and that's all I believe but I could be wrong. I don't know if they'll be involved in voice actor selection, but if there's editing done they probably will take responsibility for that. I would have been happier if this series was going to be broadcast on Cartoon Network but I guess we can't get everything.
The only downside to this however which has a lot of my friends in the G.I. Joe community steamed (as well as myself) is that in addition to the new Anime series Hasbro is putting the 3 3/4" inch line of figures "on hold" and launching a new 8" line of figures, which supposdly are based on the new Anime.
But I believe in GONZO's abilities since they've given me so many different Anime series that I've loved and have faith this show will be better then the 1980's G.I. Joe toon. Even with all the BS Hasbro and 4Kids are probably going to saddle the show with.
tekwych

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately GI Joe Sigma Six may be still born. Reception of the 8" action figure line was luke warm at best by both Retailers and hard core joe fans alike. Hasbro has had to announce a full stoppage of both the 12" and 3.75" lines to get retailers on board (better 8" Joes than no Joes) Many Hard core followers of the comic that I have talked to say they don't care how good the Sigma Six story line or art is, they won't support the line. The figures have a style closer to the VvV CGI than anything else and, IMO, leave a LOT to be desired. The new figures turned me off but I'll give the show a chance.

Hey, it's Hasbro, I have to expect them to screw up what ever they do. The sooner Takara gets Hasbro away from Transformers the better.
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
MugenKeiji wrote:
By broadcast I hope they mean just show on TV...

That's what broadcast means. The other word is produce, and that's what Hasbro is doing directly.
tekwych

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
The other word is produce, and that's what Hasbro is doing directly.

And that's why so many of us fear the outcome of this project even with GONZO involved.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
It didn't really say in the press release that it was from Gonzo. For all we know, it could be some cheap crap from Korea. Not that G.I. Joe had the highest production values in the first place...
Gamelore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:35 am Reply with quote
They should have hired them when making the "GI Joe: Ninja Battles" DVD I just got with a 5-pack of figures. Not only would have it been appropriate, but as it was, the DVD was like Reading Rainbow-style static picture manipulation. :(

The best part were the previews for Valor vs Venom and Spy Troops. Is the only way to get the Spy Troops DVD by purchasing the 12" Snake Eyes vs Storm Shadow action figures? Bah.

Anyway, I'm very glad to hear about a new GI Joe series, particularly when I hear it on the anime news network :)
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:56 am Reply with quote
tekwych wrote:
Many Hard core followers of the comic that I have talked to say they don't care how good the Sigma Six story line or art is, they won't support the line.

*sigh* The hardcore comic fans, I feel bad for them the most. Not only are they losing both the 12" and 3 3/4" toy lines, but Hasbro is also canceling and rebooting all of the Joe comics for no clear reason other than they think they can make more money despite leaving some stories either hanging or poorly rushed.

GATSU wrote:
It didn't really say in the press release that it was from Gonzo. For all we know, it could be some cheap crap from Korea. Not that G.I. Joe had the highest production values in the first place...

It's already known that Gonzo is doing this series just like they're doing the current Transformers incarnation. They really wouldn't have gained anything by calling Gonzo by name since most people, especially the target audience, don't know/don't care who Gonzo is.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:26 am Reply with quote
Maybe 4Kids will air Cheat Commandos, instead. Laughing
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Do yourselves a favor and go pick up the Marvel trade paperbacks of the original Joe run.

It's a lot easier than stomaching anything 4Kids has to offer.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Excuse me for being a rather old git to most here, but is this anime? Was it produced in Japan, or co-produced there? All G.I. Joe ever was to me was a US produced 27 minute toy commercial for the action figures. In the UK he's known as "Action Man" to eliminate any anti-American backlash in sales. Wink
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

It's already known that Gonzo is doing this series just like they're doing the current Transformers incarnation. They really wouldn't have gained anything by calling Gonzo by name since most people, especially the target audience, don't know/don't care who Gonzo is.

Emerje

so is this gonna be like an anime looking GI JOE? that could actually work.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

bad joke ahead

wouldnt that be Gi Japanese?

ok ok terrible i know.

wtf when i go to edit it says what i wrote but it shows up as japanese. stupid word filters ruined my bad joke.

Last edited by cyrax777 on Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Excuse me for being a rather old git to most here, but is this anime? Was it produced in Japan, or co-produced there?

Neither, only animated there. It wouldn't even be news worthy if it wasn't for a well known Japanese animation studio being involved. BTW, several countries decided that Action Man and Action Force was too cheesy and simply made them "G.I.Joe: International Heroes".

v1cious wrote:

Kinda. To me and others they actually look more like HK designer vinyl toys with angular features and exagurated limbs. Take a look at the toys and judge for yourself.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2