• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bunny Drop/Usagi Drop Spinoff Manga to End in December

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FH14

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
That was fast. Maybe the spinoff didn't sell as well due to the squick so many people seemed to have with the ending? (at least the English audiences seemed to find it squicky. For all I know the Japanese base didn't bat an eye and the spinoff manga sold fine.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
FH14 wrote:
That was fast. Maybe the spinoff didn't sell as well due to the squick so many people seemed to have with the ending? (at least the English audiences seemed to find it squicky. For all I know the Japanese base didn't bat an eye and the spinoff manga sold fine.)

Going by Amazon Japan, it seems to have received some mixed views there as well.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4396765258/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320721378&sr=8-1
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Reviews titled things like "クソ最悪な結末" (kuso saiaku na ketsumatsu - Worst ending ever) and "最終巻だけ読まなければ良かった" (saishuu maki dake yomanakereba yokatta - If only I hadn't read the last volume it would have been good.) obviously mean that even some Japanese are bigoted against their own culture.

(I'm referring to claims made on this forum that if you find the ending repellent, you're a bigot.)

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Usagi Drop anime is very good. The manga is horrible and wrong. This is just my opinion.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I have read quite a bit of the usagi drop manga.. I like it okay even a bit after the time skip but i will never finish it until i work up enough nerve to read the last chapter for myself. I don't know.. for some reason it really pains me to even thank that ending is possible despite all of 4chan's spoiler post and zac's reaction to it as well.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't like how the picture in the article has Rin's face obscured, but I doubt it was intentional.

Spotlesseden wrote:
Usagi Drop anime is very good. The manga is horrible and wrong. This is just my opinion.

I have not read the Manga, but find the ending to be extremely distasteful.

The Anime was everything I wanted it to be, and apart from the final two episodes being a bit weak, the show was nigh-on perfect. The heart-warming level was so high they had to do studies to make sure it wasn't contributing to global warming and climate change. Rated the show as Masterpiece with little hesitation.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Spotlesseden wrote:

Almost there....... just can't get away from the cliche ending, like a Hollywood studio and happy ending. Laughing
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Spotlesseden wrote:

Almost there....... just can't get away from the cliche ending, like a Hollywood studio and happy ending. Laughing

I just read the ending and don't get what the commotion is about. Well I do get it but jeez it's like not a big deal.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I don't like how the picture in the article has Rin's face obscured, but I doubt it was intentional.

Spotlesseden wrote:

The Anime was everything I wanted it to be, and apart from the final two episodes being a bit weak, the show was nigh-on perfect. The heart-warming level was so high they had to do studies to make sure it wasn't contributing to global warming and climate change. Rated the show as Masterpiece with little hesitation.

I have yet to do my review on the anime myself but I agree 100% with you. This is a show that I would show nearly anybody no matter what their taste in taste in media is. I really do wish that some one would pick the anime for r1 release but I can wait a little bit longer... off to re-stream on crunchy roll.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel, maybe the ending didn't ruin the story for you, but for many, many, many people it flies in face of what the story is supposed to be about. Oh, and it's squicky to boot.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
I don't think anyone can say what the story was supposed to be about other than the person who made the story. Anyway I already said I get how people around here could get upset about it but I don't feel strongly one way or the other about how the story wrapped up. The ending gets a big fat MEH from me.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Reviews titled things like "クソ最悪な結末" (kuso saiaku na ketsumatsu - Worst ending ever) and "最終巻だけ読まなければ良かった" (saishuu maki dake yomanakereba yokatta - If only I hadn't read the last volume it would have been good.) obviously mean that even some Japanese are bigoted against their own culture.

(I'm referring to claims made on this forum that if you find the ending repellent, you're a bigot.)

I guess the author tired to use the same ending as in "The Tale of Genji" and found out the hard way that things that have been deemed classics for almost 1000 can get away with TONS!!!!! of stuff that would never be allowed anywhere else.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
Anime adaptation, spin-off manga, and a Live Action version all based on Usagi Drop. Yup she has a lot of learning to do.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Anime adaptation, spin-off manga, and a Live Action version all based on Usagi Drop. Yup she has a lot of learning to do.

I love the anime and want to see the live action, but after having to read the tale of genji twice for class and write an eight page paper on it and a smaller one, I really don't like it's values or how it uses the charcters to point that out, it's writing while well done at times is VERY VERY VERY vauge at some points, to the point where I would not have know that he had sex with his step mom if I had not seen the adaptation first. and then the undeniably similar ending and to some respects beginning make it seem like at times she took to much from it.
I love bunny drop and have shown the anime to my family and even some of my professors, but I tell them not to read the manga just because of the ending.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Reikon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:22 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I have read quite a bit of the usagi drop manga.. I like it okay even a bit after the time skip but i will never finish it until i work up enough nerve to read the last chapter for myself. I don't know.. for some reason it really pains me to even thank that ending is possible despite all of 4chan's spoiler post and zac's reaction to it as well.

Last chapter? There's really nothing surprising in the last chapter if you've read even about half of volume 9.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3