• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Date A Live' Light Novels Have Anime in the Works

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Why, why, WHY do the male protagonists in these school life settings almost always have these blander-than-bland, Generic McForgettable hairstyles?! If the character ever gets redrawn in a different artist's style virtually no one could tell them apart from another Joe Everyman main lead. Evil or Very Mad
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
That's exactly the point. Genericness makes audience self insertion that much easier.

What's wrong with having a normal hair cut anyways?

The art and character designs look very nice, though I guess that's the novel's art work. I hope the anime designs will look just as good.

Appears there'll be mecha girl action to boot. Already looking promising.
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
The plot.....dear god.....it's like a bad fanfiction come to life.
greensoulreaper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:27 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
That's exactly the point. Genericness makes audience self insertion that much easier.

What's wrong with having a normal hair cut anyways?

The art and character designs look very nice, though I guess that's the novel's art work. I hope the anime designs will look just as good.

Appears there'll be mecha girl action to boot. Already looking promising.

Yup, and they also pretty much do the same for Visual Novels as well. The advantage of "self insertion" as you say, is that it allows you be more in tune with the story or get a little more out of it than just simply reading from another "completely different" person's perspective.

Last edited by greensoulreaper on Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:28 am Reply with quote
Faiga_Raisa wrote:
The plot.....dear god.....it's like a bad fanfiction come to life.

It seems half the time the description of these anime make them sound even worse than they actually are.

When initially glancing at the article, it made me think of Saikano, but I will wager it ends up being closer to This Ugly Yet Beautiful World (although I am not expecting it to be on par with either). If you think I am way off base there, try boiling down the plot of either to a single sentence and see how it sounds (especially on the first or second attempt).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
Murder She wrote:

The girl, who Sido names "Tohka," happens to have wiped out much of humanity 30 years ago, and now she is back. The only way to stop her is to date her.

Guess they're running out of excuses, sorry, I mean ideas to somehow force-pair a standard guy to a beautiful girl who is way out of his league. Some people go to great lengths to have incredible wish-fulfillment. Laughing
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
Don't even think about paying dutch!
Konopan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The only way to stop her is to date her.

[THIS IS WHAT FANTASIA BUNKO ACTUALLY BELIEVES]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Guess they're running out of excuses, sorry, I mean ideas to somehow force-pair a standard guy to a beautiful girl who is way out of his league. Some people go to great lengths to have incredible wish-fulfillment. Laughing

They used up all of the excuses for any kind of plot in any kind of work years ago.

This set up is actually fairly creative by comparison. Some actual effort will be involved as opposed to the times when the hero and heroine's fathers arrange their marriage or something. Think about it: the poor guy has no choice but to go out with this girl who he likely doesn't love (at first) because if he doesn't humanity is screwed. That's a lot of pressure. If he does a single thing to piss her off she could easily just kill him and then the rest of us.

It's true that barebone summaries can make things sound worse, but if you consider the implications you'll see there's lots of possibilities.

I laughed at "boy-meets-girl-who-wiped-out-much-of-humanity story", though Laughing
bhl88

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:48 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

I laughed at "boy-meets-girl-who-wiped-out-much-of-humanity story", though Laughing

It's Haruhi Suzumiya. Reincarnated into a mecha who says: "If you don't date me, I will destroy the world. Instantaneously."

And she will make a club that says: "Saving the World By Becoming Part Of My Harem Brigade."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1