• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Game Show II: Sons of Liberty

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
On Capcom, since I don't have xb360 or ps3 and can only wait for the PC version of SFxT (like SSFIV-AE) it won't affect me immediately but I will reserve judgement on the gem system. The way Killian@capcom described it certainly doesn't sound like any kind of "freebie" thrown to noobs since it adds to the complexity and there are always tradeoffs or conditions. It sounds like a way to spice things up adding more possibilities, though it really depends on the balance. I do however see the concern with exclusive/unaccessible type gems like the pre-order only kind.

One commentator here raised a good point in that it may actually have the opposite and unintended effect of widening the gap between skill levels further (and Killian's comment seems to suggest that when he tried to quell worries about using gems as an unfair crutch):
Killian wrote:
"Gameplay mechanics like Gems are a lot like giving a civilian a sniper rifle," he added. "Yeah, they might shoot someone's eye out but they lack the tools to maximize its potential. Put it in the hand of a trained soldier, however, and the damage that weapon can inflict is far more significant. So while you can argue that a Gem like auto-block or some sort of massive power buff may make things easier for a new player to mount a convincing offensive; just imagine when you give those same tools to the likes of Justin Wong or Daigo Umehara."

On SNK, I still have my original cartridge based NeoGeo and I have to say that KOFXIII looks essentially unchanged.. which is to say very dated. I have no doubt the gameplay is fun and solid but even most sprite based doujin fighters look better.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
So... despite the name of the cast, there is absolutely no discussion on Starcraft? Sigh.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I was really excited to hear this show. I love when you guys talk Video games and such. Its really interesting to hear what you guys think.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I haven't played Sonic Generations yet (I haven't rented any games since Blockbuster closed in Canada), but last year's Sonic Colors was a blast, or at least the Nintendo DS version was, for those of us who like old-fashioned 2D platforming with fantastic new powers courtesy of the Wisps. I didn't care for some of the bosses, but the rest of the levels were on par with the Genesis Sonic games.

Most of the games I liked this year are driving games, particularly Driver: San Francisco with its incredibly well-implemented "shift" feature for jumping from car to car, as well as the usual every-other-year updates for series like Forza Motorsport and Dirt, but I guess nobody on this podcast cares much for video-game driving, just as I don't care for western RPG's or first-person shooters. (I can't get into RPG's unless there are at least a few mewling anime girls or alluring "traps".)

EDIT: I still have my PS2 attached to my TV. Even if I bought a PS3, which seems less and less likely, I'd still keep my PS2 connected since I have like 2 dozen driving games for it and many of them hold up great. I also still play JRPG's on the PS2. But I also still have a Dreamcast, an XBox 1, and a Gamecube attached to my TV and every other videogame system I've ever owned in storage, ready to be pulled out. I've never even sold or traded in a single game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that Warhammer 40K: Space Marine is just sheer unabashed fun. I'm not even a fan of Wahammer 40K, but Space Marine interested me just from the first video I saw of it, and it hasn't disappointed me.

As for Otomedius Excellent, I will say that it's not one of the best shooters you can get for the 360, but it's still a fun enough game in the end. I have no real problems with it outside of my own personal gripes regarding the Gradius series, though I do still really enjoy Gradius games in general.

And, boy, none of you guys really have any arguments regarding Sonic recently. You still want to bring up Sonic 2006 as if it was the latest game in the series before Generations? While I've only played a few stages of Sonic Unleashed the repsonse was generally positive outside of some people hating the werehog portions. Also, Sonic Colors was easily the best Sonic game in years, and by "best" I mean legitimately best not simply it's better than 2006, which did suck.

And Sonic Generations? It is, easily, one of the best Sonic games you can play. The Classic Sonic stages are nicely done and the Modern Sonic stages are the best this recent style has seen ever. This game made a horrible stage like 2006's Crisis City awesome due to how they remixed it. Really, you guys just insulting Sonic with no real valid argument outside of 2006 is like that Game Informer review that put the game down simply because it was reminding the reviewer of games like 2006 due to the use of stages and characters. If you have nothing to add, then just say that none of you have played it and move on.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I had to jump to the Assassin's Creed part because I'm currently playing 2, and I'm rather surprised people can identify with Ezio. For me, he talks too much.

I will always be a fan of the first person silent character because..

... if left to their own...

... devices...

Samus Aran speaks and what a [bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep] that was. "My vagina's tingling again, afraid of this male dominated world. I suppose I'll just have to get used to those PMS comments, because these misogynists are pretty damn jealous of my skills."

Or something like that.

I can't wait to hear Link speak one day, if only to show why we need these characters to keep quiet.

If anyone mentions those CD-i games... I'll curse your turkey.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So... despite the name of the cast, there is absolutely no discussion on Starcraft? Sigh.

That's a Metal Gear Solid reference, pal!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Ah, gotcha. I haven't played any past MGS on playstation.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
In terms of the whole review score fiasco... review scores are worthless, plain and simple. You can't realistically sum up your feelings in a numerical or letter score, let alone one on such an arbitrary scale.. can you really elaborate what the difference between a 7.5 and a 7.7 is?

Not to mention reviews these days have so many corporate hands in them you can't really trust any of them.. the Kane and Lynch fiasco at Gamespot was just the first one that got huge press, pretty much every review site is like that. If not that, then personal bias from the reviewer themselves if they don't like a certain genre.

This video sums up the main problem with reviews: games, anime, movies, whatever, replace the medium and it always applies.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
I can't wait to hear Link speak one day, if only to show why we need these characters to keep quiet.

We have plenty of Zelda manga where Link does talk and it's just fine, those can become anime extremely easily. Don't use the crappy cartoon or CD-I games as some kind of basis.

And Other M was a great game, I don't see why you complain about it. It was a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. A Metroid anime in that vein could work as well. Anyone who complains about it are probably the same people who complained when they found out Samus was a girl in the first Metroid game at the end of the game. They went through the whole game with a preconceived idea of who this mysterious person was (default to male, naturally) then in the ending credits it's revealed she's a woman. Same here: people built up this personality for Samus when she had none, they gave her some kind of Hollywood action star "I am woman, hear me roar, I don't need no man in my life, romance is for sissies, rawr" zero personality "man with breasts" stereotype. Then she's revealed to be kind of an insecure and reluctant individual (since, you know, whole family murdered and killed, raised alone, grew up with serious mental issues, etc) Other M was brilliant in that regard, it recaptured that preconception shattering reveal of the first game and brought it into the new generation. Iit's nice for Samus to have an actual personality with vulnerabilities rather than some Duke Nukem one dimensional "badass". Hats off to them for that.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

That's a Metal Gear Solid reference, pal!

And that pleases me greatly.

Though I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea that the Uncharted games are just rental titles. I adore those games. The characters just keep me coming back. I don't think I'd get the platinum trophy on all three of the games if they were just "rentals."
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
In regards to Uncharted 3 being a rental only, I guess that depends on how much you love the multiplayer. Personally I love it and I've lost over 30-40 hours in it already.
Of course, due to the online pass you can't that out as a rental.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
This might be the best video games podcast of all time. So tired of listening to gaming podcasts where all the hosts have been drinking the game industry cool-aid for too long. Thanks for this. It was super interesting to listen to.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:39 am Reply with quote
Listening to this podcast reminds me about how out of touch I am with the current video game scene. I could pay 60 dollars to play "generic army dude shoots a bunch of foreigners" or I could go and buy a used GBA game like Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis. It's not exactly a hard choice.

The only Halo game I played was the second where within an hour I was simply using my Rocket Launcher as an axe and just charging at them and killing them that way.

Got to agree with the idea of HD game remakes are a scam thing, if I want to watch a remake I either want something extra or a huge boost in graphics.
daveriley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:45 am Reply with quote
The problem with Metroid: Other M isn't "blah blah blah I'm on the rag." The problem is that they take this character who's always been portrayed as a cool, confident problem solver and turn her into a sixteen year old girl with daddy issues. The problem is that Samus says "Okay, I'm not going to use my powers because he told me not to. Not for any rational reason. Not because he's my boss. I'm gonna do it because I have a crush on him and I'm so helpless! Even when I'm burning in lava I won't turn on my lava-proof suit until he gives me the go ahead! Uguuu!"

This is not a character with emotional issues or vulnerabilities, this is an infantilized moe baby. Being unable to act on their own volition is not a trait I would assign to a good character. The problem isn't "we took a silent character and gave her words" the problem is "we took a silent character and gave her the words expected by an audience of man-babies who are afraid of girls."

TitanXL wrote:
This video sums up the main problem with reviews: games, anime, movies, whatever, replace the medium and it always applies.
This video is absolutely insane. I mean, I had him 90% tuned out as soon as he mentioned "objective" reviews, but the real icing on the cake is when he goes into his screed about how 5 stars is somehow different than 100% and why this actually matters.

I turned it off, so I don't know if he got to the part where all game review websites are taking payola from the game makers for good scores.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And Other M was a great game, I don't see why you complain about it.

Even if you ignore the issues with the story and the portrayal of Samus, I thought the level design was boring and simplistic, the controls were clunky and the art direction was dull and uninspired. The game felt like a huge step back after the Prime games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3