• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Koji Yamamoto, Ryo Ohyama, and George Wada on Guilty Crown

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scamp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Nope, not like Geass at all. No idea where you could be seeing that. Apart from the plot outline and the setting and the characters and pretty much everything else, but otherwise we're not like Geass at all!

Laughing
Bastille

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
For a show that is supposedly stressing plot, anyone else having to go back and forth with regards to taking the show seriously?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When I watched the first episode of the show I immediately went online to see what the fan reaction was, and there was a huge amount of comparison to Code Geass. The shows share a writer, but my question is: going forward with Guilty Crown, how you plan on differentiating yourselves from Geass to the fans?

All: Where are you seeing this?

I bursted out lol'ing at this xD. It's true though. I can't really see any relation with code geass.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With Ghost in the Shell, the main audience is twenties to thirties, but with Guilty Crown we're going for a younger audience.

There's a real shocker, I would have never noticed. Anime dazed

Quote:
Yamamoto: The basic concept of the show is in a Japanese style, a Japanese concept, and that is what makes it more original than other shows.

LOL. Someone's drinking their own cool-Aid.

Edit: So the filter automatically changes it to "cool"? Yet far worse seems to get through all the time, and this is completely innocuous.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wrathful

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Once again a show so stupid, it makes me dumber by watching it. If they want to make a twist, they just don't introduce the element in that same freaking episode. So far, I can overlook the unnecessary fanservice and convenient coincidence but the way they build the plot, it annoys me. However I, do like the character design and fluid animation, eventually I'll end up watching anyway.
j123ready

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
This is my favorite show of the season. I see no comparison between this and Code Geass besides them both having similar mecha. Both main characters are different and Shu is actually likable unlike Lelouch. Oh, and this show is actually good so that's another deference.

Laughing

Last edited by j123ready on Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
keikanna44

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
The animation and music are the best things about this show. In fact that's the only reason why I watch it. After 7 episodes I still don't know what this is about nor do I care. The plot seems all over the place and the characters are lacking in depth.

They would have done better to copy the Code Geass format. At least then we would have had a decent show. Rolling Eyes
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh, they're actually not completely lying here...they've already done a good job of differentiating Guilty Crown from Code Geass just by making the cast of characters significantly less interesting in terms of personality, starting with the spineless protagonist and his weird doll of a female friend, to say nothing of failing to build GHQ as an actual threat after the first couple of episodes.

I can deal with ridiculous stunts and moments of stupidity as long as the characters and their conflicts are reasonably compelling, but other than a couple of brief exchanges between Shu and Gai or even Shu and Segai, that's been noticeably absent from this show. Under those conditions, I'm dangerously close to either dropping the series or at least putting it on hold until someone tells me things have improved.

Britannia wasn't exactly an example of overall competence, to be fair, and most of its nameless soldiers were predictably dumb and evil...but by this point in time you already had a few characters like Suzaku and Cornelia who could effectively stand in the way of Lelouch's plans. That introduced at least a certain amount of tension, for better or for worse. But GHQ, on the other hand, seems almost like a paper tiger commanded by circus rejects who, with perhaps one or two small exceptions, haven't done anything remotely threatening.

Conceptually speaking, GHQ could turn out to be a more interesting organization because, yes, the setting is admittedly a bit closer to our current reality in this case...if the script actually bothered to explore the background of its world instead of leaving too many details up to speculation. When I feel like I'm missing information that should be common knowledge by now, that's definitely not a good sign.

Great production values and action sequences definitely make Guilty Crown enjoyable as essentially a multimedia spectacle, which was also more or less true of Code Geass R2 at its worst, but this time around I haven't been given a reason to care before things really started going downhill. Even worse, I've actively felt more boredom than excitement to date.

Last edited by nightjuan on Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
gwern

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Yamamoto: The block was originally one show only, but Fuji TV expanded it to one hour, and eventually they were trying to create a more widely-accepted title. So Guilty Crown is one of the titles that's being created to do that.

Translation: we couldn't find enough quality art anime to fill it, so we just went with some standard slick mainstream stuff.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Okay...these people are ACTUALLY calling Guilty Crown's plot an ORIGINAL PREMISE?!? I want to puke, because GC is ANYTHING BUT ORIGINAL!! I mean, we have a generic, spineless, and bland male lead, a stereotypical damsel in distress, stiff artwork (Yes, I am calling the artwork stiff. Moribito had better animation than this!), and a premise based on so many other stuff we had before (like Fractale, for example)!! These guys must be on meth or something! HECK, I'd rather watch My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic over this any day! That show actually has compelling stories, well done characters, good animation despite mostly being done by computer, and self-awareness of how certain things do and don't work! Mad Mad
ayashe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
"based on an original premise"? HA! I tried to give this show a chance, despite how Geass like it sounded. I expected it to be similar, but not a complete rip off. I dropped it after one episode. I've only ever did that for two other series, and at least with those I may watch them again to see if my opinion has changed. NEVER AGAIN with Guilty Crown. Just seeing its name is like nails on a chalkboard for me. Code Geass may not have been completely original itself, nothing is, but Guilty Crown is a complete copy of it. It's like they got Okouchi Ichiro and told him to make it just like CG (which is what I think they did). Guilty Crown has wonderful animation, but that's the only thing it has going for it.

Darker Than Black has some similarities to Code Geass, but it's got enough of it's own story, and is interesting enough on it's own that the similarities are funny, and something to laugh about. If Guilty Crown had gone that route it could have been good, instead of something we have all seen done before, and done better.

Last edited by ayashe on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
oh. This show.

Now, after being reminded, I realize that I watched the first episode and then forgot to continue watching it. I really did totally forget about it. Neutral
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Murder She wrote:

With Ghost in the Shell, the main audience is twenties to thirties, but with Guilty Crown we're going for a younger audience.

B.S. Younger audience shouldn't be watching noitaminA hours on a school night. Nor would they have otaku money to buy the Blu-rays. Laughing
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow, lot of hate going on for the show. Yes, there are many similarities to Geass, but it is still a fun ride. I agree with pretty much everything said in Carl Kimlinger's review of the first 5 episodes. Worth watching.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So for this show, and from now on, we want to do more two-season shows.

Yay! Very Happy I've loved the Noitamina titles I've seen thus far but have found that they end far to soon. It'll be nice to see Noitamina titles which are able to cover more material and have room to reach more organic conclusions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4