• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Saint Shingo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son-kun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Kozo Morishita was also the producer and planner for pretty much every Dragon Ball animated material conceived. I really wish that I could have the chance to see the original Saint Seiya TV series to completion one of these days, but alas, I'll have to settle with the Hades OVAs and Manga. Ring Ni Kakero's another title I'll have to check out.
Uppa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Did the Shingo pair really work on the character designs in the Studio Gallop Yu-Gi-Oh! series as well? I honestly thought that was some sort of error in the encyclopaedia. I still almost feel that I do!

Were they honest-to-goodness really involved in the second series? No fooling?
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Grandpa finally passed away (Yugi's grandpa, that is). It's what he always wanted! "Hm, I wonder if my name is in the obituaries today..."

No, but Shingo will be missed as a great artist mind and as a person, and may his legacy live on (as long as it's not grandpa).
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame to see Shingo Araki pass away. Seeing those Ulysses 31 screens really does show how different yet similar Araki & Himeno's styles were. Also, I honestly had no idea that Araki & Himeno were married... I just thought that they were lifetime work partners, which in the entertainment business isn't exactly rare to see.

Quote:
if you ask me, [Ring ni Kakero 1's] creation is a direct response to the runaway success of boxing tale Hajime no Ippo, which had hit airwaves a few years previous.

Could be, but I'm still sure that a major factor regarding Ring ni Kakero finally being animated was simply the fact that 2004 was Masami Kurumada's 30th anniversary as a mangaka, since 1974 was when his very first one-shot, Otoko Raku, debuted. RnK1 was the second part of the 30th anniversary celebration, with the first being the Saint Seiya Tenkai-hen movie, which naturally featured Araki & Himeno as well.

And though I wouldn't call Ring ni Kakero 1 "loved" on the fansub circuit, because if it was "loved" then the English fansubs wouldn't be stuck half-way through Season 3, it's nice to see someone else bring up the title for once; anyone who's thinking about checking it out should definitely do so, since it's simply great fun to watch. And Fuuma no Kojirou, too, which kind of surprised me; that's easily a case of a Kurumada manga being animated due to the popularity of another title (Saint Seiya, in this case).

Though I do feel that Saint Seiya & Ring ni Kakero 1's animes are so heavily tied to Araki, I do think that continuing to make more of them wouldn't be a bad idea, as I'm sure that Araki himself would want it. Himeno can still do her stuff with those titles, and the two most recent seasons of Ring ni Kakero 1 featured extra character designers alongside Araki & Himeno, so that title has been slowly being passed onto others, in a sense.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Mike, it's very nice of you for writing this article. It shows how much work this guy for Toei.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
toddc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Funny how a lot of Araki's work was seen by typical cartoon-watching North American kids of the 1980s. They never had Saint Seiya or Rose of Versailles, but they could still catch Maple Town, Mighty Orbots, Ulysses 31, and even The Adventures of the American Rabbit. And maybe, in some alternate reality, they saw Lupin VIII.

Araki also shows up in the credits for G.I. Joe: The Movie, so I like to think that he was behind this.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:46 am Reply with quote
Jonathan Clements' obituary for Araki: "Shingo Araki 1939-2011".
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:24 am Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
Araki also shows up in the credits for G.I. Joe: The Movie, so I like to think that he was behind this.

G.I. Joe: The Movie is out on Blu-ray? Wonder why Transformers: The Movie isn't.

Anyway, I fondly remember Ulysses 31 and The Mighty Orbots. Never got into Saint Seiya when it was on the Chinese cable channel Star Phoenix back in the nineties (was mostly into Kimagure Orange Road and Maison Ikkoku on that channel). I think I still have VHS fansubs of The Rose of Versailles.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
It's a shame to see Shingo Araki pass away. Seeing those Ulysses 31 screens really does show how different yet similar Araki & Himeno's styles were. Also, I honestly had no idea that Araki & Himeno were married... I just thought that they were lifetime work partners, which in the entertainment business isn't exactly rare to see.

I'm not so sure they were ever married. When Araki passed away, many Japanese websites like this one mentioned his widow Hiroko as the one who represented his family at the memorial service.

Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
if you ask me, [Ring ni Kakero 1's] creation is a direct response to the runaway success of boxing tale Hajime no Ippo, which had hit airwaves a few years previous.

Could be, but I'm still sure that a major factor regarding Ring ni Kakero finally being animated was simply the fact that 2004 was Masami Kurumada's 30th anniversary as a mangaka, since 1974 was when his very first one-shot, Otoko Raku, debuted. RnK1 was the second part of the 30th anniversary celebration, with the first being the Saint Seiya Tenkai-hen movie, which naturally featured Araki & Himeno as well.

Some fans believe Ring ni Kakero's anime adaptation was one of the conditions Kurumada stipulated when he gave Toei his blessing to make more Saint Seiya anime. Maybe that would explain why it keeps getting more seasons even though it doesn't seem to be particularly popular.

Lord Geo wrote:
And though I wouldn't call Ring ni Kakero 1 "loved" on the fansub circuit, because if it was "loved" then the English fansubs wouldn't be stuck half-way through Season 3, it's nice to see someone else bring up the title for once; anyone who's thinking about checking it out should definitely do so, since it's simply great fun to watch. And Fuuma no Kojirou, too, which kind of surprised me; that's easily a case of a Kurumada manga being animated due to the popularity of another title (Saint Seiya, in this case).

Yeah, I'm still waiting for a certain group to finally finish subbing the third Ring ni Kakero series, too. Even the raws are impossible to find.

As for Fuuma no Kojirou, I watched the first episode some months ago, and while the opening sequence features some great-looking Araki/Himeno animation, I was shocked to see that the episode itself was animated by Shizuo Kawai, the hack responsible for Saint Seiya's ugliest episodes.

Lord Geo wrote:
Though I do feel that Saint Seiya & Ring ni Kakero 1's animes are so heavily tied to Araki, I do think that continuing to make more of them wouldn't be a bad idea, as I'm sure that Araki himself would want it. Himeno can still do her stuff with those titles, and the two most recent seasons of Ring ni Kakero 1 featured extra character designers alongside Araki & Himeno, so that title has been slowly being passed onto others, in a sense.

I believe it's Eisaku Inoue who's been providing the artwork for the latest Saint Seiya merchandise, including the video games. He might have been the animation director on the all-new sequences Toei made especially for the pachinko machine, too.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Some fans believe Ring ni Kakero's anime adaptation was of the conditions Kurumada stipulated when he gave Toei his blessing to make more Saint Seiya anime. Maybe that would explain why it keeps getting more seasons even though it doesn't seem to be particularly popular.

I wouldn't take the word of "some fans", especially when it comes to Saint Seiya fans. While I do love Saint Seiya, from what I can tell it seems like a lot of Seiya fans are solely fans of Seiya and don't seem to care about Kurumada's other works quite as much. Granted, I know that's not how all Seiya fans are like, but it's pretty easy to see that they're more "Seiya fans" than "Kurumada fans". Also, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are annoyed that Ring ni Kakero's newest seasons have had excellent animation while Seiya Hades' last portions had very minimal animation. Finally, I do think that those pachislot & panchinko RnK machines are uber-popular in Japan, which probably is another reason why Toei came back to RnK after a 4-year break (Season 2 was 2006, and Season 3 was 2010).

Quote:
Yeah, I'm still waiting for a certain group to finally finish subbing the third Ring ni Kakero series, too. Even the raws are impossible to find.

Yeah, I had to buy the actual DVDs from Japan in order to watch Season 3. Season 4 did get raws, but they're not exactly the same kind of quality you see most shows get nowadays. Still, they worked well enough for me.

Quote:
I believe it's Eisaku Inoue who's been providing the artwork for the latest Saint Seiya merchandise, including the video games. He might have been the animation director on the all-new sequences Toei made especially for the pachinko machine, too.

Yeah Inoue worked on Season 3/Shadow, but Season4 /Sekai Taikai-hen had Keiichi Ichikawa be the animation director/third character designer. The Ring ni Kakero anime series features a lot of "musical chairs" when it comes to people working on it; directors are changed every season (only Seasons 1 & 3 have the same director), and every season seems to have a different lead animation director as well. In fact, the only people who seem to stay throughout every season are the cast, Araki & Himeno (though that's now broken if a Season 5 gets announced), writer Yousuke Kuroda, and music composer Susumu Ueda (whose music for the series is just amazing).
SantaBla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
So who did the female character designs for Grendizer? (Maria, Naida, Rubina)? Was it Araki?
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I just looked up Shingo Araki's bio again. What you forgot,Mr. Toole,is that he did some American work as well. He did some animation work for "Inspector Gadget" and "Heathcliff and the Cadillac Cats." He also did work on a direct-to-video film called "The Adventures of the American Rabbit." It's a shame you didn't tell anyone about that. I don't see anything wrong with doing American animation. Why you omitted that part is something I'll never know.
jcaliff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You didn't see the first one; nobody in the English-speaking world did, because it didn't have enough plot elements that could be turned into children's toys

I saw the first one. I think it was the Toei show that replaced Dragon Ball GT. Kaiba had turquoise hair. I even have a trading card (not game card) set. Very Happy I actually liked that version better than Duel Monsters because it didn't focus exclusively on the card game - it was basically the first 7 volumes of the manga.

Interestingly, Field of View who did the opening to DBGT (Dan dan) did the opening theme for Yugioh (Kawaita Sakebi). Wands, who did the ending theme for DBGT (Sabitsuita Machine Gun de...) did the ending them for Yugioh (Ashita Moshi Kimi ga Kowaretemo). I assumed at the time that they were trying to keep the audience and minimize costs somehow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I just looked up Shingo Araki's bio again. What you forgot,Mr. Toole,is that he did some American work as well. He did some animation work for "Inspector Gadget" and "Heathcliff and the Cadillac Cats." He also did work on a direct-to-video film called "The Adventures of the American Rabbit." It's a shame you didn't tell anyone about that. I don't see anything wrong with doing American animation. Why you omitted that part is something I'll never know.

I'm going to guess that's because this is a site about anime... Or "anime" as you like to show it as. So, naturally, Mike will focus on Araki's anime works.

Yeah, Araki did work on animation that was made for non-Japanese audiences, but among his total work it's not really important in the slightest; there's no way anyone will ever look at Araki's legacy and put his small non-Japanese animation credits in front of something like his work on Saint Seiya. Also, you complain that Mike didn't talk about animation made for foreign audiences, yet you seemingly didn't bother to check out that Ulysses 31 was a Franco-Japanese production that didn't even air completely in Japan, i.e. it was effectively made for foreign audiences.

Sure, Ulysses 31 isn't as easily recognized as that of Inspector Gadget or Heathcliff, but I'm sure it's way more recognizeable than The Adventures of the American Rabbit, which I don't think even you know much about. It seems like you just listed American Rabbit because it was on his ANN encyclopedia page, not because you have any real nostalgia towards it, unlike how G.I. Joe the Movie, which Araki worked on, was brought up in these comments because of nostalgic reasons.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
jcaliff wrote:
Quote:
You didn't see the first one; nobody in the English-speaking world did, because it didn't have enough plot elements that could be turned into children's toys

I saw the first one. I think it was the Toei show that replaced Dragon Ball GT. Kaiba had turquoise hair. I even have a trading card (not game card) set. Very Happy I actually liked that version better than Duel Monsters because it didn't focus exclusively on the card game - it was basically the first 7 volumes of the manga.

Interestingly, Field of View who did the opening to DBGT (Dan dan) did the opening theme for Yugioh (Kawaita Sakebi). Wands, who did the ending theme for DBGT (Sabitsuita Machine Gun de...) did the ending them for Yugioh (Ashita Moshi Kimi ga Kowaretemo). I assumed at the time that they were trying to keep the audience and minimize costs somehow.

Yeah, I won't doubt that Toei simply had working deal with Field of View and Wands through DBGT, and simply continued that deal with "Season 0" of Yu-Gi-Oh!; no complaints from me, though, as Kawaita Sakebi is an awesome opening theme. Though it isn't really liked by YGO fans due to it's multiple changes from the manga, mostly to tone down the craziness that those chapters contained, I'd easily buy "Season 0" if it got licensed one day. Sure, it's highly unlikely, but after seeing Ghost Sweeper Mikami licensed & fully released, with the movie supposedly on the way as well, I could see Sentai give the original YGO anime a try.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2