• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Blu-Ray + DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
I thought this movie was incredible. I really wasn't expecting such a gem when I bought it... especially after that "Endless Eight" fiasco.

I like long movies when the length is actually used up pretty well and isn't weighed down with filler. I thought this movie's length was perfect and I actually kinda wanted it to go on for longer than it actually did. However, when it ended I was pretty satisfied.

This movie made me hope for more Haruhi TV seasons.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
I happened to rewatch this film with my cousins this weekend and we we all just floored by the quality of the animation... Simply a gorgeous, gorgeous film.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
Why they didn't take the opportunity to rerelease the series on bluray to coincide with the movie I have no idea. I will have to import the japanese bluray of the series at some point.

The movie was fantastic. I had no idea it was that long; it didn't feel like it to me. And YUKI! So... adorable...

The movie more than made up for E8 to me. I still hope that a third season is made, though I'm sure the likelihood of this is pretty slim.

I'll get this release soon; I'm a huge fan of extras.
vinamara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
The part when Kyon understands that Yuki too sometimes feels lonely and that she's slighted and strung along on Haruhi's crazy rides where she can't even voice her thoughts since she's an observer made me shed a tear.

I always thought Yuki wasn't given much attention but this movie shows that she too is an involved character. I can only imagine the toll it took on her on that Endless Eight travesty.

I was flabbergasted at the length of the movie when I first saw the timeline but I was so immersed in it that I never knew when it ended. I wouldn't really say the director went overboard with lengthy sequences because they were very involving but then again as the reviewer said it is inaccessible for newcomers.
weddingcoo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:39 am Reply with quote
it didn't feel like it to me.
swienke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:39 am Reply with quote
Pretty spot on review, IMO. I actually like the movie far more than the rest of the series, since it had a level of emotional sincerity that the series proper generally lacked. It's kind of unfortunate that the very best that the series has to offer is so inaccessible to new fans though.

The length of the movie didn't really bother me, but I can see how it might become more annoying when I rewatch it. There's really no wasted time since everything is meant to contribute to the pervasive atmosphere of dread and confusion that parallels Kyon's mental state or is used for some very valuable character development, but it can definitely come across as a bit slow in the first half if you aren't in the mood for it.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:09 am Reply with quote
I was lucky enough to see this in Japan in theatres when it was released and it really does look amazing on a big screen. I haven't seen it since then, though.

To be honest, I'm not a huge Haruhi fan at all. I watched series 1 and didn't even bother with series 2. I don't hate it, but I don't really like it a whole lot...I dont really have strong feelings for it either way. I guess that qualifies me as a 'casual fan', so it's interesting that this review says it's not for casual fans as I really enjoyed it! Embarassed

Then again, I really hate the character Haruhi, and seeing as she spends the majority of this movie not there, that's always a plus.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:59 am Reply with quote
I had the chance to see this at the cinema last year during an anime festival in Edinburgh, and even though I've not seen Series 2 (Endless 8 has put me off) I still enjoyed it. It's nice to see, as the review mentioned, an anime move that doesn't just condense a series.
Cynim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:12 am Reply with quote
I had the immense chance of seeing it twice in Kyoto when it was released in Japanese cinemas, back in Feb 2010, and absolutely loved it ! even though my Japanese may not have been good enough to understand everything, I just took in the sounds and visuals. I was amazed.

This review is very accurate, using the exact choice of words to qualify different aspects of the movie as I have used them too. Cool

In a nutshell, I would qualify this movie, comparing it to the TV series, as a powerful cinematographic upgrade, whether it's on the visual, musical or even the storyline aspect. They were able to magnify the intensity of the 4th novel's plot into something worth animating for the cinema.

The only thing I disagree a little : although it's obvious novices cannot truly enjoy the movie, I have shown it to some friends who simply liked the season 1 of the series, no more (I have shown the episode Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody beforehand, of course). And they appreciated the movie, without complaining about the length.

As to hoping they will continue to animate Haruhi.... well, there are the novels I still need to read !
lilly_938

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:42 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Why they didn't take the opportunity to rerelease the series on bluray to coincide with the movie I have no idea. I will have to import the japanese bluray of the series at some point.

Does Bandai really have to plans to release the tv series in bluray?
M7AS Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:07 am Reply with quote
While the movie is really inaccessible for newcomers to the franchise, the length was not a problem at all. I saw this at Otakon last year and time flew through the film, probably because it was so interesting and involving.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Simply being generally familiar with the characters and premise is not enough; to fully understand and appreciate what is going on in this story requires being a dedicated fan, one who has seen the entirety of its two seasons and remembers them well, as the movie offers not a moment of recap.

Hmm. I'm a bit conflicted on this because those who have seen the movie, but not the second season, seem to offer no complaints on enjoying the movie without feeling confused about any of the story.

If anyone can relate to this situation (and I see at least one in the comments already), feel free to let us know if anything seemed difficult to follow in the movie.

I did notice the price of the second season is now teetering on the price point I'd buy it at, so this may be moot. However, I'd waste no time in purchasing the more expensive movie should the overwhelming opinion the second season not be needed is spoken.

Regardless, Bandai will be getting my money, reluctantly, because they know most of us can't resist.

I'm going to hate life when they finally release Gosick. That's an MSRP purchase right there.
Anime cry
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:47 am Reply with quote
It's great to know I’m not alone in thinking that the movie’s running time was just the right length, doing the story complete and total justice. I wouldn’t have cut it down in any way, I really mean it. If the movie had been any shorter, at most, it would’ve only have been three-quarters as breathtaking and emotionally powerful. Even Kyon’s two extensive monologues toward the end, one about his feelings about his life and the other about Yuki, I sat through just fine watching something that was executed to a beautiful and near-poetic level. The funny thing is, I had read the novel before watching the movie. Although the movie was a faithful-to-the-point-of-being-literal shot-by-shot adaptation of the novel, watching the story via the movie was still a different, amazing experience thanks to its pacing, tone and atmosphere, as well as its beautiful music and animation. Even though there's more story in the novel series, this movie at least was by all definition a culmination of the TV series, of where everything was going, what everything was about and what everything meant, all summing up Kyon’s personal journey, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way, especially with a film that made me close to tearing up. And the ending theme song?--what else can I say other than the words "beautiful" "gorgeous" "breathtaking" that I've used before?

The dub cast was exceptional, and Crispin Freeman definitely played Kyon masterfully. My only disappointment with the extras is that while it has a making-of featurette of the music video, we don’t get the music video itself—what’s up with that?

Anyway, I’ve seen plenty of great Anime films, but only a small few I would hold in a godlike status. For me, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is right up there with The End of Evangelion and The Adolescence of Utena. A truly exceptionally wonderful film.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote
Good review! I will have to add the BD+DVD to my library at some point. The movie is fantastic! It is sad that there are no plans for a third season, but I hope they have left the door open for more films like this one! Still, the short stories like "Snow Mountain" and a few of the others would be missing without a season to put them out there. That would make it hard to do the full length novels as movies at that point, since they tend to rely on info from the short stories for part of the set-up of the plot...
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I did notice the price of the second season is now teetering on the price point I'd buy it at, so this may be moot. However, I'd waste no time in purchasing the more expensive movie should the overwhelming opinion the second season not be needed is spoken.

At the very least I think you need to have seen the Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody episode to make sense of the time travel part. Specific references are made to other events in the second season, though, including Endless Eight and the movie filming episodes, so I firmly believe that one needs to have seen everything previously to get the full picture. One can probably understand most of it and be entertained by it, but I don't think viewers can fully appreciate (for instance) Kyon's concerns about Yuki towards the end without having seen Endless Eight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4