• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: New Getter Robo DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Although it doesn't have much in the way of big, deep development so far, I found the characters to be awesome all the same and I think you were a bit quick to shove them aside as dull stereotypes. While they are pretty basic characters at heart, they're strong characters and a lot of fun to watch - especially Hayato, with his psychotic tendencies just waiting to bubble out of his otherwise cool exterior. The "C" seems a little harsh - this show is really good at what it does.

And I figured "LOL NO GIRLS!!1" would be held against it.
Quote:
-Comic bookish character design

I really don't see how this is a bad thing at all, but I suppose that's a matter of personal preference.
spider-moose

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:20 am Reply with quote
personally I enjoy the original Getter Robo better, but I love the redesigns on Getter Robo

I'm still waiting for some Go Nagai Mangas to be released over here *amen cough DEVILMAN cough* hehe

but personally I like the Mazinkaiser OVAs better which are a remake of the original Mazinger Z/Great Mazinger series of what if Koji got Mazinkaiser during that time

*still waiting for Mazinkaiser vs Shin Getter Robo movie* Very Happy

the 2 most powerful super robots fighting till one is down! that would take forever considering how tough each are!
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
that C is grossly undeserved, the reviewer has an obvious disdain against classic old school shows and Go Nagai, and I wont hide my preferences(you can see it with my avatar), we as kids didn't care that the characters were one dimentional, we didn't question the mechanics of the mecha, we just cared about how our heroes would kick enemy robot/monster butt and save the day

New Getter Robo is an awesome actioneer in the Traditional Giant Robot vein with kickass characters and full on of respect and homages to his classic Getter Robo series, and with top reviews from Anime on dvd, Newtype USA, Anime Fringe, Animerica among others

yeah, let everybody else disect all the meaning out of the symbolism of Evangelion or Rahxephon, give me a Go Nagai Super Robot like Mazinger Z, Grendizer, Steel Jeeg, Groizer X or Darku Maryu Gaiking anytime
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1