• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Back to the Future... of Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Painted DVD covers.

By Alex Ross.

Oh how I hope ADV releases a series of posters...
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to get Planetes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Our esteemed reviewer wrote:
[Melody of Oblivion] Tastes like: Chocolate pudding.

So many things that could be said......

Believe me, MoO is definitely one of those GAINAX shows. It's high on fanservice, especially at the beginning and the end (although the end is a different kind of fanservice) and not so high on coherence.

I never really understood all the Utena comparisons. Of course, I never really watched Utena.
Kalium

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Believe me, MoO is definitely one of those GAINAX shows. It's high on fanservice, especially at the beginning and the end (although the end is a different kind of fanservice) and not so high on coherence.

Very true. The organization is spotty, the series is big on some strange form on nonlinear storytelling. I was never able to fully decipher it.
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Another good column, Bamboo, although I'm a bit disappointed that there were only 4 DVDs in this edition (just as much as I'm disappointed that we have to go thru another week without Sunday Spotlight Crying or Very sad ).

I bought Planetes over the weekend, and all of the reviews I read and all of the buzz I heard about this series, either thru the ANN forums or elsewhere, is true. This is DEFINITELY must-see, must-have, and must-buy anime. The only thing that I'm disappointed with is that Bandai did not put an insert in the DVD package; however, despite this very minor complaint, I do like the plastic covering over the DVD case, and the interview with the scientisis of the NASA Orbital Debris Program was well-conducted and extremely informative. Razz I can't wait for Vol. 2 to come out. Very Happy
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:01 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Another good column, Bamboo, although I'm a bit disappointed that there were only 4 DVDs in this edition (just as much as I'm disappointed that we have to go thru another week without Sunday Spotlight Crying or Very sad ).

Wink The hope is that with regular weekly columns, there can be supplementary columns in between that review the titles I either didn't have at the time of writing the column, or older ones. Hopefully this'll let me stay on track of that weekly schedule, while still hitting all the discs I have in my pile.

tiredgamer wrote:
Painted DVD covers.

By Alex Ross.

Oh how I hope ADV releases a series of posters...

I think they will, actually (though I don't know this for sure, so don't take my word for it), since when I first got the press kit for it, they sent me a poster too and it looked hella sweet. The covers look *really* nice, so I too hope that they'll either sell the posters, or make a booklet of them or something.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
MoO on the Rental Shelf? Oro Shocked? Man and it is one of my favortes, but the Dub track I heard was BAD.

I got a Geneon Promo DVD with one episode at work today.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh crap! Planetes is out this week. I NEED to buy it tomorrow. Thank goodness I got a decent paycheck this week and even have a $5 cupon for Suncoast. Ever since I saw the first minute of the fansub, I knew I had to buy the series. I have all the manga and I need to finish watching the anime. I also need to buy each DVD as they come out. This is the most wonderful series I can think of out there.

-Xenos
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Shorter but more regular columns is, I think, a good idea. I also like your idea of using a supplementary column for clean-up and flashbacks.

And Bamboo, I'm envious that you're getting some of these titles before I am. Razz Planetes is out tomorrow as I write this, though, and it's one of my top priorities to watch and review.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
so does Planetes stay consistently good throughout the whole series?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
so does Planetes stay consistently good throughout the whole series?

Yes, and it has a magnificent ending as well.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Our esteemed reviewer wrote:
[Melody of Oblivion] Tastes like: Chocolate pudding.

I never really understood all the Utena comparisons. Of course, I never really watched Utena.

After watching some of Utena (mostly just the Black Rose Saga), the visual imagery of that and Melody of Oblivion is definetely similar though entrancing. Cool
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
MoO on the Rental Shelf? Oro Shocked? Man and it is one of my favortes, but the Dub track I heard was BAD.

I got a Geneon Promo DVD with one episode at work today.

Well, I've only seen the first four episodes of MoO that were on the disc. The premise of the show intrigued me, and I'm very interested in what will happen next, but IMO the first few episodes were just a real mess in how things were organized. I'm looking forward to the rest of the show though, so if it's as good as you say it is, then I'm certainly excited for it.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo-I demand to know why this week's column isn't entitled "Battle of the Planetes." Such a perfect pun opportunity wasted! Crying or Very sad

Tiredgamer-Alex Ross is a Gatchaman FREAK. I've read interviews with him where he prattled on about the show forever. He's done like a million paintings of the Science Ninja Team, so I wouldn't be surprised if these DVD covers are preexsisting artwork by him; in which case, they may be posters already. All depends on weather ADV felt like paying for new artwork.

The thing that gets me about Gatchaman is the bird suits. I keep thinking that at any moment Peter Potomus is going to burst into their jet and ask if they got that thing he sent them.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Bamboo-I demand to know why this week's column isn't entitled "Battle of the Planetes." Such a perfect pun opportunity wasted! Crying or Very sad

O_O THAT'S BRILLIANT. That didn't even occur to me!! Man, you're right, that would have been perfect! Nuts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2