• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RainOfSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
kobe8byrant wrote:

2) Sailormoon Very Happy

I don't know want to know why there is a big-smiley next to #2 on the "worst" list.

However, might I ask, what are the last four words in the title of this topic, and how do they apply to your post?
Alucard27

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Man, even with my collection 50+ DVDs strong, I still will have a hard time making this list.

Best Anime (to me)

1) Samurai X (OVA)
Most realistic anime ever, maybe. Storyline is excellent and heartbreaking at the same time. Music also kicks ^^

2) Full Metal Alchemist
Pretty much for the same reasons as Samurai X

3) Rurouni Kenshin
It's on the long side, but it gets the job done, with the last 2/3 of the series focusing on Kenshin & his past.

4) Full Metal Panic!
Funny as h--- and it's got the perfect blend of everything anime.

5) RahXephon
Good series that is mostly the anti-Evangelion than an EVA clone.

6) Trigun
When this anime turns serious, it's even better than when it's funny.

7) Gundam Wing
Complex storyline, excellent fight scenes and characters, what more could you want?

8) Samurai Champloo
Still too early to really judge it, but it's funny and it really breaks down any and all anime barriers and laws.

9) Neon Genesis Evangelion
The storyline is too hard to follow at times, which takes some zip out of its potency. Still good, though.

Worst Anime (in my opinion)

I only need to list one anime, since it's the one I hate the most, and is also one of the worst:

1) DragonBall Z
Not only is it the worst anime ever, but it's also the most OVERRATED. Battes are drawn out, and the bad guys don't know when to die and stay dead.
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:14 am Reply with quote
[My top 10 Favorite]

1: Cowboy Bebop
This anime was so impressive. Just how the story line goes and the animation. How the characters were devolped. CB got my mom hooked on it! The ending was a surprise also. Which makes it better! It kept me on my toes!

2:RahXephon
Even though this may seem like an Evangelion copy. It wasen't, even though I thought it may have been. Towards the beginning yeah maybe, but later on it totally changed my mind. The battle scenes were awesome! My bro got the DVD set, and I watched it all night long. Loved him for that.

3: Outlaw Star
This was one of my earlier animes I saw on cartoon network. Loved it after the first episode. The OP and ED themes were so beautiful. Which really caught me on. How the story progressed. Had some humor to like episode 23 ;D. It didn't drag which i'm glad for. WOO go outlaw star!

4:Love Hina
Your average "one guy stuck with thousands of girls" anime! NOT! Ok maybe a little. But really, these girls were different and wild. How it all started just made you wonder. I love this anime ;-;!

5: Hellsing
I loved every bit of this anime. The animation in hellsing was interesting. Plot line was amazing also. Until in the mid/ed it was kind of slack, the ending was very...I dunno weird. o_o;. Though the soundtrack is great! =D!

6: Air
Air is the most un noticed story line ever. I would never think about something like this. Along with making such good graphics. Air made me feel the pain Misuzu was feeling ;~;. But one question. What is with Sora? And where is Yukido? Maybe it said and I missed it somewhere.....

7:Gunslinger Girl
Yet a short anime like Air and Hellsing. It was amazing. Like the animation and the plot. It had the guns! Little girls have the guns! Isn't that a little ......creepy!? But cool. Sad anime though, they are taken and used like that.

8:Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO)
OMG!! GTO= Awsomeness! Aside from having great deal of episodes, just all the characters and the humor is great! Onizuka can you be my teacher! The relations and the plots are awesome and I need to try some things like this at school!

9:Scryed
S-cry-ed is a very difficult anime to understand for me, but after awhile I got it. The english version of this had some characters voices in it that I knew which was cool. The plot. I would of never thought of. Imagination just went wild in this anime. Well Excel Saga was weirder. But back to scryed. The abilities are amazing. How they work is very original! Out of all I love it. <3 Cogar.

10:Elfen Lied
All I have to say is, great animation, beautiful music (latin!) and is very scary. O-O. First anime to scare me.

[My top 2 worst]

1: Aishiteruze Baby
I don't know, this anime was just......weird, didn't get me interested and weird! lol

2: Card Captor Sakura
The very beginning I loved this anime! Really I did. But, later on, it was the same thing over and over and over and over. Li and Sakura never got close. I hoped that they did get closer. Accept the end and that was really not much. Melin was TO annoying! Just to say, I don't like it >.<
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:15 am Reply with quote
Let me stop to remind people, again, that LIST POSTS are not welcome. Please explain why they're your favorites/least favorites, so that others can understand WHY you chose those titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
freebutterfly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:22 am Reply with quote
1. Naruto
-> I know that lots of people like this anime but i really don't like it because this anime is way too dragged. It gets boring and it is all about same thing. The plot isn't increasing. I know i will get lots of flame for saying this but i really don't like naruto.

Naruto delivers a kind of spirit. even you don't like it. How many episodes you see? if you keep see it, you will find it develops well. a lot of surprise. It has the Japanses style,mayb you watch too many and need to find sth fresh.

Have you seen Slum Dunk? It's also simple story in the high school, how boys chase their dream of basketball, it is moving a lot of people.
AngstSchreeuw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:10 am Reply with quote
Top 5 worst:

1. Tekken, the motion picture
Hmm, where should I start? This movie is bad on so many levels. The first thing that annoys me is that the most important thing to me in anime isn't present in this. Character developement. The characters are all incredibly static, even dragonball z has better characters.
The action consists of whatshisname kicking his way through some really random battles, and the story is predictable and doesn't grab you even for a second. I believe someone rated this masterpiece at this site. It's probably a joke Smile.

2. Dragonball Z
Like many others, I was once quite addicted to this. It was my first anime, and it was entertaining when I was 15. Now I can see it's just 300+ episodes of the same, some guys screaming at eachother and blasting energy. Yay. The worst part was when Goku stood across Frieza for 1,5 episode, charging his stupid spirit bomb. Argh.
Cell and Buu were just Frieza ripoffs, they both also powered up 5+ times, and the main character of the saga managed to become a higher level of SSJ again. How completely exciting and unexpected! Yuck.

3. Love Hina
Argh. The main character is a total dweeb who manages to be liked by a half dozen of girls. He gets smacked around a bit by them, feels 'em up a lot, and somehow manages to get into Tokyo University in the process. The fillers are the worst. Take a completely worthless character (shinobu, su, motoko), put them in a wannabe-hilarious situation, which of course includes smacking keitaro around, tadaaa! another episode.

The manga is completely wonderful though. The characters are much more likeable there, and the feeling of the story is really magical. Combined with the nice romantic story and the great anti-climaxes (Smile), this is a must-read, and the best manga I've read.

4. Green Green
An all-girl school goes to visit an all-boy school whose students have almost never seen girls in their lives. Yay. That's the entire plot. Of course, there's a male main character who has no developement whatsoever, and 2 girls who like him. One because they were lovers in a past life, the other because he felt her up (or something Razz). Like I said, the storyline is very thin, and while the ending isn't predictable, it's not satisfying, and the overload of fanservice makes this a very bad anime. The 13th episode is a hentai one, and it's the most pathetic one of them all.

5. Ghost in the Shell
This isn't necessarily bad, I just don't like it at all.
To me, the characters weren't interesting, I'm not interested in cyborgs with personal trouble. The action was somewhat cool, but nothing much really happened. The political thing also didn't catch my attention. All in all, I thought this was a pretty bad SF story. I've seen much better ones.

Top 10 best:

10. Mai-Hime
First of all, this would have been higher if the ending was a bit better. Gawd, that sucked. The overall story is great though, and the main character is quite likeable, she develops well, and her emotions are very realistic. The Hime's are pretty cool as well, unfortunately, there is very little variation in what they do (load silver cartridge!). The show gets better every episode, except of course episode 26.

9. Elfen Lied
Ah, this is nice. Though the main characters were all a bit dumb, Lucy/Nyuu totally ruled. I just love how psycho she is. All this blood and gore just made me laugh and made me feel strange... in a nice way. The ending was quite open, and I really wanna see a second season of this.

8. Princess Mononoke
Great story, really makes you think about nature and how humanity deals with it. The characters are very likeable, and there are some really magically sad parts in it. This is my second favourite Ghibli film, I have also seen Grave of the fireflies, but I didn't like that one as much, and the one I liked more is at my number 2 spot. One thing that amazes me about Ghibli films is that even though there isn't much character developement, the story is just completely amazing and makes you forget about that fact.

7. Uta~Kata
Best magical girl anime ever imo. The story is about a girl who by accident makes a girl come out of a magical mirror. The girl gives her powers in the form of 12 jewels. The girl stays with her for the summer, and together they use the jewels to help people and discover a lot of emotions.
Character development is great in this one, and at episode 7 of 12, the series become really grim, and things start to go wrong. It stays quite mysterious up until the ending, where the main character has to make a really big choice. The ending is completely awesome, but quite sad too.

6. Haibane Renmei
Again, awesome character development in this, and a really great story. Though the plot was quite slow, it did grab you and didn't let go. The show especially focuses on human emotions, and it's done really well. The ending is completely brilliant, and explains a lot. I really like this anime because it uses one of my favourite things to talk about: Death, suicide and "moving on".

And now, my 5 anime I have rated "masterpiece"

5. Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
In the first 2 episodes you think it's just another bishoujo anime with a silly love triangle. Well, the love triangle is coming, but in a different way than you expected Smile. There's a major plot twist in episode 2, and after that, the story skips forward a year... WTF? I really love this anime because of the emotions in it, and the character development of course. While the emotions are as over the top as they are in most soap opera's, I still love it. I like all the problems the characters have, especially the stupid indecisive main character. Must be because he reminds me of myself. The ending is "happy", but the characters have taken heavy emotional damage.
The character I liked the least was Akane, but she seems to be the most popular character. I don't get it Confused .

4. FLCL
Completely hilarious. The main characters are completely wacky, the storyline is insane, and still, there is a moral to the story, and the main character really changes in a cool way. The pacing is at an extremely high level, and it's over before you know it. This series has an extremely high coolness factor, mainly because of the stylishness of the characters and the cool music.
When it was finished, I was thinking about it the entire day, even though I watched it at 2 AM, after getting only 3 hours of sleep. It's that friggin' good.

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion
Big bad-ass robots, depressing story, very human characters, an insanely deep and meaningful plot. All the ingredients for a classic. It also has a very nice ending imo. I liked both of them actually, while some only like End of Evangelion.
It also has some humour here and there, but it grows sadder and sadder towards the end.

2. Nausicaä of the valley of the wind
This anime has the most interesting character I have ever seen, Nausicaä herself. She is perfect: magical, too nice for words, wise, and yet still realistic. The story is like Princess Mononoke's, only it's post-apocalyptic. The ground has been polluted by humanity, and the wastelands are spreading. Humanity tries to fight it, but it's pointless. We must live with this nature, instead of trying to destroy it. A great message, carefully worked out, with awesome characters and a wonderful, magical ending. It's the best anime in the genre.

1. Boys Be...
Ever since I watched Love Hina and Ah! My Goddess, I have been looking for the ultimate combination of romance, comedy, drama and slice of life. Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien came very close amd was my favourite anime at a time, but this is what I have been looking for. Boys Be... is simply amazing, it's just your typical story about a couple of high school students, with the main focus on two childhood friends. spoiler[Aha, I heard you thinking there: Yuck, another romantic fanservicy anime in which the 2 main characters live happily ever after. Well, they don't Very Happy. They actually don't realy talk to eachother anymore about halfway through.]
The characters are really wonderful, a lot happens to them in the year the show takes place, and they are confronted with love for the first time. It's shown in a truly magical way, and even though there isn't a main storyline, you just keep watching.
Another thing I really liked is the fact that each episode focuses on different characters. This way, the characters develop more easily. In most other anime, the story switches back and forth a couple of times per episode.
The ending is very open, and I hope a second season will be made, but since it's not very popular, I can probably keep dreaming Smile.[/b]
RainOfSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
freebutterfly wrote:
1. Naruto
-> I know that lots of people like this anime but i really don't like it because this anime is way too dragged. It gets boring and it is all about same thing. The plot isn't increasing. I know i will get lots of flame for saying this but i really don't like naruto.

Flame? I hope not. We should leave flaming out of this topic (or, if possible, off the board . . . stop laughing!).
Ryoko77san

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote

My 10 Favorite Animes:

1. Rurouni Kenshin.
This started me in the "bloodly samurai action" shows and movies. Love the story. Love the characters. And love the everything about it. The only thing wrong? It was cut off in the middle of the manga.

2. Tenchi Muyo!
Ryoko and Tenchi Rules! And Ryo-oh-ki is so kawaii!

3. Inuyasha.
Action packed and funny from start to what ever episode Adult Swim left off.

4. FLCL.
Need I say more? Those 6 episodes was over the top and crazt, and I love it!

5. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi.
It picks up were FLCL left off. It's too crazy for little kids.

6. Outlaw Star.
I can't belive that not many people like the show. I'd enjoy the space battles and the story very well. Crying or Very sad

7. Full Metal Panic.
Over the top millitary action and high school goes together in this Anime.

8. Chobits.
Except for the fact of Chi's "button", the show was pretty good. I've read the manga so I can understand it better.

9. Noir.
Did you notice, when ever Noir goes up with men they are so easy to kill with onr shot kills? But if was a women they takes forever and nearly dies?

10. Dragonball Z.
This is the show that started it all for me. I don't watch anymore but oh well.

My 5 Least Favorite.

1. RahXephon: The Movie.
That was the waste of 2 hours on my part. And did anybody notice the monster that looked like an dildo in there?! I did. Shocked

2. One Piece.
They've mest up on Luffy's voice so badly! For now on, I'm reading the manga.

3. Rein: The Conqueror.
I think you already now what's wrong with this one.

4. Habane Renmei.
So....boring.....

5. Texhnolize.
Even....more....boring....
Sharmat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
First off, hello Smile I am new to the boards. And I am also a huge anime fan!! So now to the lists Smile

My top 5 anime series:

1. Neon Genisis Evangelion: I enjoyed this anime soo much for its character development as well as the story. I am not usually a fan of 'Mech' animes but I fell in love with all the characters when I first laid eyes on this. It has awesome fight scenes as well as insanely deep plot lines. Some might find such a deep plot daunting, but it is worth it!! I have all of the movies and I must recommend the directors cuts as well, thefew scenes are worth if you ask me. I could also see a little of myself in all the characters, and a little of the characters in myself Smile

2. X (the series): I haven't heard much people comment on the series, but I for one love it. It has an awesome cast of characters, each one unique, it also has a great story and an interesting views on destiny and what can be considered 'good' and 'evil'. It isn't a particularly deep series, but nonetheless I find it extremely great.

3. Sailor Moon: Now I can see why people hate it, but It does have a special place in my heart Smile On the surface it is about a ditzy girl and her adventures. But if you take a closer look, it has alot of mythology, and even a type of mystery to it, especially later in the series. It does take a slight turn for the dark, but the recurring theme is one of friendship and love, which is always nice Smile

4. Magic Knight Rayearth: It is an awesome tale of three girls with elemental powers, what more can one ask for?? lol. I enjoyed both the story and am a fan of school girls saving the world, so it was perfect for me, lol.

5. Rahxephon: I was again suprised by this 'Mech' saga, but it is so much more than that. I do put it on par with Evangelion, and I wouldn't compare them, as it is as some say the 'anti - Eva'. It has a deep story line as well as the commonplace twist and turns, definatly a must see Smile

Here are my top 5 anime movies Smile

1. Princess Mononoke: It is to me, a great movie dealing with nature and technology, a movie where there is no clear bad or good guy, and for that I love and salute it. It has deep characters who have strong resolves, and neither are willing to back down, with that much tension, I was suprised I didn't snap Razz

2. Vampire Hunter D: It is a great Vampire movie, with an awesome set of enemies and a stoic, and sometimes uncaring hero. Half the fun is seeing how he puts his skills to use Smile

3. Ninja Scroll: The reason I placed this on my list is because of its great list of enemies. I have always had a need to have great enemies in an anime, and ninja scroll has such a magnitude and variety, I fell instantly in love with it.

4. Grave of the Fireflies: A sad, touching movie about the consequences of war and hope of man, it definatly is a must see, but if you cried when bambi's mom got shot, have alot of tissue Razz

5. Anything by Miyazaki: His movies spirited away, kiki's delivery service, and just about everything else captured my heart with both its themes, and animation, definatley must sees Smile

I see good in just about all anime, so I dont really have 'worsts' Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
My top 10 anime (not necessarily in rank order) would be:

1. Azumanga Daioh--It gets me in a good mood just watching it. I would rank it as one of the top comedy of any genre (TV, film, anime). These characters just take a place in your heart.

2.Cowboy Bebop--What can I say about this series that hasn't already been said? This series is what started my interest in anime. Up until that point, it had been Speed Racer, Robotech, Voltron, etc. in the old days. I read a review of the Bebop movie, was in Blockbuster and rented the Perfect Sessions, and my descent into going broke buying anime began. This is the only anime that I watch dubbed. And the only dub I could tolerate until recently seeing Howl's Moving Castle. I was also introduced to Yoko Kanno's brillant music. I think she is perhaps the most talented composer of music in the world right now. She's what would happen if John Lennon, John Coltrane, Trent Reznor, and Beethoven, were put into a single person.

3.Comic Party--I feel that this is an underrated show, but I just love the fact that independent comic artists and writers in Japan have so big an impact on the culture. That if you had a talent, you could make your own books and go as far as your fans will take you. On top of that its just plain funny.

4.Wolf's Rain--Why? Because who isn't looking for paradise? Who isn't looking for a place where they can know peace. Great character designs. Great story. Great music. Kanno again.
Some of the shots are masterful, and better than live action.

5.Last Exile--Even though I didn't really understand the ending, this anime had an uplifting message, an assembly line of tragic deaths, and the smoothest hand drawn and cg compositing I've seen. But the underlying theme of it is friendship and how that can take you through hard times.

6. Kaleido Star--I'm sure most males would be embarrassed to buy this one, but I thought it was great. Sure, its a little fluffy, but the characters are great, the voice actress doing Sora is spot on and you can't help but root for her till the end.

7.Nuku Nuku TV--Oh my lord, if just for the guy that breaks out his guitar and sings "la la la la!" in the most inappropriate circumstances! This is one of the best examples of slapstick anime that is able to unentangle itself away from long drawn out storylines and instead concentrates on episodic laughs.

8.Midori Days--This is a more recent favorite that is still ongoing. Again, another great comedy, but there's something very melancholy in the background with it. As for absurdity and Freudian symbolism, she's his right hand for heavens sake!

9.Rahxephon--This is a show in which you're lost most of the time but I think it should replace Evangelion in the anime best giant robot category. It had better characters, more disturbing mecha designs, a more likeable protagonist, and a much more compelling story.

10.Noir--Even though at times, its shooting of the week format got a little boring, and at times the camera lingered on immovable faces too long, it was still an involving series with great music, even though towards the end it became a little too far fetched.

5 worst:
1.Urda the third reich--The animation in this is so bad, it reminded me of Beavis and Butthead. Music composed on a Cheezmaster 3000 synthesizer. Jump cuts of an seizure-like abruptness.

2.Fruits Basket--I'm sorry but I saw a demon reflected in those saucer like eyes that make the main character looked like a deformed goldfish. And the premise--"My mom died, so now I live in a tent...." Come on.

3.Evangelion--I resent this series because of the last two episodes. Yes, I've seen the last movie where it was truly completed, and he was running out of money, but there was no excuse to end this show like it did. What a rip-off. Overrated. Rahxephon was a better show. And how many versions is ADV gonna put out with its George Lucas cash-in remastering

4. Kiddy Grade--Once again, around the 5 or 6th dvd, when we starting getting into the clone wars, this show just self-destructed, getting involved in horribly self-indulgent storyline of conspiracies and lost identities and new bodies and powers I never understood.

5.BrainPowered--There's something odd about people who pilot mecha in the mecha's crotch area, and how during the middle of battle these crotch areas extend out and the pilots argue with each other as they hit each other with energy swords. Weird. Or stupid?
Akitot1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
My Best Anime

1) Full Metal Alchemist
Awesome series, for me it just gets everything right.

2) Full Metal Panic!
Love the character, love the artwork, cant wait for second raid.

3) RahXephon
I agree with a previous poster succeded where evangelion failed.

4) Last Exile
I loved this series, it went down well for me

5) Chrno Cross
I thought the storyline (whilst a bit drawn out and boring at times, specially towards the end) was awesome. Plus I loved the ending and the main characters. (I love a good romance embedded into a great anime)

6) Rurouni Kenshin
A great series with good animation, wonderful character development and heart warming themes.

7) Trigun
Awesome animation, great character development, wonderful storyline, and funny as hell.

8) Samurai Champloo
Great series, Love the little insight caps at the beggining. Original artwork and outlook as well as an awesome break dancing samurai style that sits well with me.

9) Love Hina
The first anime I have ever watched (minus DBZ...but meh to that) Its a wonderful series that keeps you laughing, and gives you a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside Very Happy. Go Naru Punch

10)Nadesico
I loved this series, had a great feel to it, loved the characters, artwork and it had some great punch lines. Awesome series to pick up if you just want to sit back and enjoy an easy-to-understand storyline and a good laugh.

Worst Anime !!!

1) Sailormoon

I just hate it I hate it I hate it. Its boring and poor (granted im not the target audience but yeah...)

2) Megaman
The latest one, with the chips or something. Boring and quite gay (again granted IM not the targeted audience)

3) Patlabor 2
Think the name is right, if not pm me with the correction if it bothers you that much. Quite frankly the most boring peice of bog I have ever had to sit through, but cause I like the original, and it DID have some decent animation it's not first

4)Evangelion
For the same reasons as the guy above me, I know thats a cop out but it's all true.

p.s Thanks for your lists I have some new series to buy and borrow.
Drayen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:52 am Reply with quote
Top 4:

1.Great teacher onizuka:
Best. Comedy. Ever. The way onizuka deals around with stuff is ingenious and hilarious, he makes me think of my motto with idiots who only want to piss you off: "be nice with people that hates you and theyll become your friends", so that helped me getting hooked on the show. Theres a bit of drama in GTO as well which fits the humour perfectly and trust me, youll get attached to onizuka in that show and youll be sad in the end even if its not a sad ending

2. Fullmetal Alchemist:
This show probaly has the best story I've ever seen in an anime which kept me hooked wanting more everyday while waiting for the next episode because i wanted to know what was going to happen the next episode. The idea of the show is pretty original but the comedy is so so and the amounts of filler is somewhat of a turn off sometimes, but it makes up for it.

3. School rumble
Best comedy up there with GTO, while onizuka from gto is my favorite male character, harima from School rumble is my second favorite male character ever. This show made me laugh at several places (ohh especially the peacock part, ill forever remember it)

4. Azumanga Daioh
The first episodes are bad, pretty bad in my opinion, i didn't get much laugh from them except here and there, but it makes up pretty damn well in the later episodes and it has my favorite character ever: Osaka, the only character thats so slow and stupid that everyone talking with her seems to become stupid, even the genius 10 years old kid in their highschool class, and she's horribly random, who else makes spelling comparisions on the beach out of nowhere about hemoroids? Well osaka does!

Other good shows: Trigun, Scrapped princess, Elfen lied, Chobits, Full metal panic, Excel Saga, Genshiken, 2x2=Shinobuden, Kimi ga nozomu Eiene, Berserk and more

Bottom 4

1. Serial experiments lain
I cant understand how this show is popular and well liked, yes it makes you think, but it also makes you watch a lot of unteresting activity (lets be serious here, you watch AT LEAST 40 minutes in the whole series watching electric cables and thats not the only thing you watch in that show while nothing happens). This show sounds like something youd see drugged people watch and say it owns cause its weird. Its SSLLOOWW, its weird (in a bad way i guess), interesting except for maybe 15 minutes in the whole show and it seems like nobody ever have any feelings at all in the show

2.Kujibiki unbalance
Well, this is a spin-off of genshiken (a great show by the way) but its utterly boring and stupid, the only thing youre in is probaly the sauna scene were the girls are all wet going on eachother to prevent their friend from escaping if you like that kind of stuff

3.Mai Hime
Another "oh so great" show i keep hearing about how awesome it is and how its #1 on everyones anime lists. The show starts as a magical "schoolgirls vs monsters and a relationship" bs, then something happens and it actually becomes good for about 5 episodes, but youre shown the worst ending you could do with a VERY HIGH potential, the ending made me vomit in every corner of my house because its so horrible, but people find their way to say its the best ending ever anyway.. anyways the only good thing about this show is character developement because of the 5 episodes, the rest sucks, unless youre into a bit of fanservice (i dont care if you think its not a bit ecchi, but a girl grabbing mai's humongous boobs every episodes and random talks all the time about bras, boobs and panties sounds a bit perverted to me)

4. FLCL
I've heard about how this show is the funniest comedy ever along with fullmetal panic fumoffu (another good show, except i dont view it as good as people say), but it barely made me laugh, probaly did 1-2 times but thats all, people say its really crazy, but I've seen nothing amazing (if you want to see a crazy/weird comedy, go for Excel Saga, yet another good comedy, and a real crazy one at that), yes its random, but then again theres nothing too amazing in this show

Other bad shows (although i didn't hate as much as the other shows here):

Green Green ova, Akira, Fist of the northstar movie, Koi kaze (its not too bad but way too slow), Inuyasha (interesting but gets very old)
drievel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
My Favorite is : -
1) Ghost is the Shell - SAC
Every episode is just deep. The mystery behind the laughing man just draws u into the nxt episode.

2) Princess Mononoke
I just love everything that Hayao Miyazaki does. This 1 is the best that i've watched cos it just clicks the right side of my little brain!

3) Cowboy Bepop
The movie was sleeeek. He's so aloof u just wanna break his neck sometimes.

4) Slam Dunk
I've read the Manga, followed the series & just loved the madcap sakuragi. As for the cool Rukawa, i'm sure most ple just adore him. He reali doesn't talk much. Slower than the actual NBA, but pretty much gives you the kicks.

5) Macross
Grew up watching em, bought their toys. I dun tink i will fancy watching Macross in english.

6) Ghost in the shell - Innocence
Awesome graphics, can't any one else agree??

7) My neighbor Totoro
I've watched this more than 5 x have their wallpaper, keychain, small plush toy, ruler & i'm sure theres more. The part where Miyazaki did this anime becos his mum was sick at tt pt of time & he was oredi travelling bck n forth from the hospital. It adds an additional touch to it.

8) Graveyard of the fireflies
How can anyone not be touched by this??? The candy in the box, the mayhem the war caused. The mind is willing but the flesh is weak says it all here.Sad ending.

9) Spirited away
I believe alot of ple in asia love this flick. I like it how Miyazaki actually took all the settings from a bathhouse in Osaka. The japanese gods in japan far too mny to distinguish wch is good n bad. The storyline beats Howl's moving castle.

10)KiKi's delivery.
I still love Miyazaki's works. He loves France as we all can see from most of his works. He likes taking villages from France, sea ports. This 1 somewhat like bewitched but more exciting & cuter.

I'm a fan of Hayao Miyazaki!!

5 worst?
1) Card captor - Dumb. Can never understand

2) Pokemon - Dumber? Can u believe they actually painted it on an airplane? I dun understand what its trying to say its just trying to act cute. Just to con little children.

3) Tele Tubbies??? I noe its not reali an anime but this 1 is 1 creepy. non interesting childs play.

4) Dragon Ball - Boring! For those Dragon ball fanz, no offence.
But i tot Trunks was cool. Never cd play the game too.

5) - cant think of anything else
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:05 am Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:
2.Fruits Basket--I'm sorry but I saw a demon reflected in those saucer like eyes that make the main character looked like a deformed goldfish. And the premise--"My mom died, so now I live in a tent...." Come on.

3.Evangelion--I resent this series because of the last two episodes. Yes, I've seen the last movie where it was truly completed, and he was running out of money, but there was no excuse to end this show like it did. What a rip-off. Overrated. Rahxephon was a better show. And how many versions is ADV gonna put out with its George Lucas cash-in remastering

How much have you seen of Fruits' Basket? I take it not much. If you watch more than the just the first episode or two you'd realize that beneath the overly-cutesy premise there's a dark, moving, and yet sometimes hilarious story of the loss, denial, jealousy, abuse, depression, hope, acceptence, and self-improvement. While some episodes are downright stupid, the story as a whole is an amazing work of art. If you aren't moved by certain episodes, you must be either extremely prepared to hate it or extremely insensitive.

EVA had two awful episodes. It also had 24 great ones and an awesome movie. Saying that EVA is one of the worst anime series of all time just because of the last episodes is like saying Star Wars is one of the worst epics of all time just because of the prequels. Greatness is greatness, and unless someone went back to redo the original episodes and get rid of all trace of the actual originals, the best moments of EVA will always be great despite anything else that is done with the brand. Also, Bandai is doing an updated "Special Edition" of Bebop, so saying that those types of things add to EVA being on your worst list backfires on you.

Anyway, my top 10 (not counting movies because otherwise Ghibli stuff would take up the entire list):

1. Samurai Champloo (The anime for people who like anime, and then some. Being able to make a story rooted in Japanese history while not throwing off American viewers is quite a feat. Add in some stunning action animation and a good dose of comedy and you have yourself the greatest anime ever!)
2. Full Metal Alchemist (Tragic-sociopological-military-pseudoscientific- religious- philosophical-psychological-coming-of-age-action-adventure-soul-redemption-commentary made fun for kids!)
3. Cowboy Bebop (It's just so classic! Violence, satire, emotion, character development, jazz, this show had it all! There may be some animes that have surpased it in recent years, but Shinichiro Wantanabe's space drama masterpiece will always have a place in my heart. Let's jam!)
4. Paranoia Agent (They're going crazy... And you see inside their head... And that kid attacks them... I'm scared, and I'm loving it!)
5. Fruits Basket (I'm almost embarassed to put it on this list. It seems to be almost worshipped by the "INU-Y4SSHA IZ MIEN!!!!!!1111!!11!1!" crowd, and when I watch it with people it is hard for me to discuss the show's greatness when everyone else is discussing whether Yuki or Kyo is cuter. Still, a moving storyline and excellent characterization is still a moving storyline and excellent characterization, so it deserves to be on the list!)
6. Neon Genesis Evangelion (It isn't the greatest thing ever. It is seriously flawed in places. Sometimes its even painful to watch. And for all its problems, it is one of the most incredible, uplifting, meaningful stories ever put to film!)
7. Azumanga Daioh (Everyone needs a bit of laughter in life, but sometimes our troubles bog us down from finding it. This series finds the humor in even the smallest of nuances, and a brilliantly understated "show about nothing" certainly has everything going for it!)
8. Rouroni Kenshin (Mostly for the Kyoto arc really. Tokyo was overall mediocre and Meji was an abomination, but the excellent fights and deep drama of the Kyoto arc alone push it up onto the list!)
9. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (The animation is amazing, the choreography near-perfect, and the story manages to enthrall me every time I get the chance to watch it, even if I sometimes don't understand what the hell is going on!)
10. Gundam SEED (You can't really have a list of the greatest anime without at least one Gundam series, and Gundam SEED is the cream of the crop of what Gundam shows I've seen. Granted, I'm not following the show on CN and have a limited DVD budget, so I'm just getting to the good part, but virtue of characterization and political intrigue make it a good series I'm sure will get even better!)

And the worst:
1. Fighting Foodons (Everything about it stinks)
2. Wedding Peach (Everything about it stinks)
3. Beyblade (Everything about it stinks)
4. Dragonball GT (Everything about it stinks)
5. Pilot Candidate (Everything about it stinks)
Megadrivemaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote
My top 10 constantly changes with the shows that I watch, but these are the ones that remain a constant favorite:

1. Lupin III - Especially the original TV series. I just love the art style used in this show(And many other shows from that era for that matter). The plots are also very interesting and well-thought out, and Lupin simply has the best cast of characters in any anime I've seen.

2. Kimagure Orange Road - This is my favorite Romance/Comedy. It never gets too giddy, but it always remains funny. Great characters, animation, characters, music. Just a top-notch show that should be enjoyed by everybody.

3. Bubblegum Crisis - I love the 1980's decade, and no anime makes me feel quite as nostalgic as this one does. It doesn't matter what I'm doing or what kind of mood I'm in, I can pop in an episode of Bubblegum Crisis anytime and enjoy it. I love the character designs in this show, as well as the well-rounded personalities of the characters.

4. Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water - A teriffic, wonderful show that can be enjoyed by any age. It has very memorable characters, and an interesting plot(With many twists) that seldomly gets boring. It also has tremendous animation for a TV anime made in 1990.(And it still looks great today!)

5. Aura Battler Dunbine - It's by the creator of Mobile Suit Gundam, so it contains a lot of political plot-lines, but not nearly to the same extent. It's also based in a fantasy setting, which really appeals to me. Great characters, plot, and a great theme song by MIO.

6. Project A-ko - Though I had seen many anime before watching this movie, this might have been the one that made me stand up and take notice. I was really attracted to the high-quality animation in this one, and also the character desigins. Though, at the time, I didn't realize it was a parody of other animation, I still thought it was really funny. Even to this day, I can still watch the movie and understand a joke or two that previously went over my head.

7. Cyborg 009 - An older anime, but it's still very watchable today. I really dig the different character designs. Each one is so unique and interesting.

8. Macross - Actually, I really liked all of Robotech, including the Southern Cross and Mospeada segments. It's interesting to see the many different mecha designs from each series. The plots also really draw you into the series as each different segment offers it's own vision of Earth's future.

9. Mobile Suit Gundam - Who doesn't love the story of Amuro Ray and Char Aznable? The plot is long, but very intriguing. It's the perfect example of an anime where the story can be dramatic(and sometimes tragic), but never becomes depressing. A true classic.

10. Saint Seiya - My favorite action/fighting anime. Well-directed with an interesting story.

My 5 least favorite anime? I can't say I've hated a lot of anime, but I do tend to dislike anime that goes overboard on the use of CG.

Didn't care much for Generator Gawl or .Hack//Sign. I thought Amazing Nurse Nanako was pretty silly.

I also didn't like Love Hina very much. As I watched it, I really felt sorry for the main character as he took much abuse from those girls without any warrant at all.

A while back on TV, there was a show called 'Flint the Time Detective'. I didn't care too much for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 122