• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - When Nerds Collide

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Bamboo is on board for Koi Kaze, too.

Excellent! It's a title which deserves all the attention it can get. And it gets better still after the first volume. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tastes Like: Melons.

I loved this line...
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Looks like Bamboo is on board for Koi Kaze, too.

Excellent! It's a title which deserves all the attention it can get. And it gets better still after the first volume. Cool

I'll probably snap this title up, once I have the money.

Anyway good volume. I guess this means Wolf's Rain Vol. 7 might get reviewed now.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I am getting Genskien(sp) now.

I am surprised that Bamboo didn't put TenTen as a Praishable(sp) Idem.
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Genshiken sounds cool but is it total comedy? Is there no drama in it at all?

I just like my humor with a little drama mixed in is all.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually a little disappointed that our hapless columnist went for the cheap gag. I thought that you were above that, unless you were talking about a maid/harem show. (How many weeks until DearS again?)

So........what are you doing with those doubles? *sad puppy face*
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
I am surprised that Bamboo didn't put TenTen as a Praishable(sp) Idem.

Well, it is the best of the fight-n-fanservice shows out there IMO, and the quality animation makes it worth a look.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
And here I was, thinking that Fafner was an equal to Evangelion and Rahxephon from all the buzz I had heard about it. If it's just blatent ripoffs of those two fine series, I'm glad I didn't buy it yet. (Though some hardcore Eva fans will claim that Rahxephon is a cheap Eva imitation... Rolling Eyes)

tempest wrote:
Quote:
Tastes Like: Melons.

I loved this line...

Definately a perfect description. Wink
Raoh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I gotta agree with everything you've said, Bamboo.

TenTen, while it does excite, contains excellent, vivid animation, and much fanservice (come on, we all know its there and we all want it), the story contains very little cohesiveness. While the main points of the plot do get explained, the way in which it is done is often confusing.

Regarding Genshiken, I LOVED it. As a person who considers himself PROUD to be an Otaku, I enjoyed every second of it. From getting nervous at looking at perverted comics in the store, to looking up the skirt of a PVC model. I related with ALL of it, and it made me laugh. Genshiken is a MUST see anime for this year.

Koi Kaze is wonderful, plain and simple. The beautiful animation and lovely soundtrack just captured my imagination. I could care less if Koshiro and Nanoka are Brother/Sister. The show deserves to be given at least ONE view by the average Otaku. I was glad that it got played at Sakuracon's Closed Circuit TV. The dub didn't strike me as anything impressive, but they conveyed the feelings of the characters quite well.

If you like Koi Kaze, I'd say to definitely give Angel Sanctuary a try. The anime, while only a three episode OVA, is quite good. Check out the Manga further if you enjoy it. Very Happy

Well, those are my comments. Great Column, Bamboo. Very Happy
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
I'm actually a little disappointed that our hapless columnist went for the cheap gag. I thought that you were above that, unless you were talking about a maid/harem show. (How many weeks until DearS again?)

So........what are you doing with those doubles? *sad puppy face*

I'm never above cheap gags. ;p You should know that by now. Also, only one week until DearS.

As for those doubles, I usually give them away at conventions, so unless you go to some of the cons I go to to, no discs for you. Very Happy

Angel of Death wrote:

I wouldn't call Genshiken a drama, but it's certainly not a straight comedy either. There's plenty of conflicts, especially amongst characters like Saki. It's definitely something that I feel most people could enjoy, and I highly recommend checking it out. There's hardly any slapstick in it, and for the most part, it's multifaceted enough that almost anyone would have fun with it.

Thanks for all the comments guys!
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:19 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Angel of Death wrote:

I wouldn't call Genshiken a drama, but it's certainly not a straight comedy either. There's plenty of conflicts, especially amongst characters like Saki. It's definitely something that I feel most people could enjoy, and I highly recommend checking it out. There's hardly any slapstick in it, and for the most part, it's multifaceted enough that almost anyone would have fun with it.

Well alright then. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks! Very Happy
Kuroro IX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
And here I was, thinking that Fafner was an equal to Evangelion and Rahxephon from all the buzz I had heard about it. If it's just blatent ripoffs of those two fine series, I'm glad I didn't buy it yet. (Though some hardcore Eva fans will claim that Rahxephon is a cheap Eva imitation... Rolling Eyes)

Regarding Fafner... it definitely gets off to a rather weak start. But the beginning batch of episodes are by far the worst part of the show; it improves by leaps and bounds as it goes along. At the beginning I thought, "hey, might as well keep watching it for the action," but the characters & dialogue left me feeling cold. (I'm a big Eva & Rah fan, btw, and at the start I would have just laughed if someone told me Fafner would ever approach them in terms of quality).

However, I stuck with Fafner--for whatever reason--and by the end of the show my opinion of it had changed incredibly. It's now my second favorite series, despite the rocky start. If you enjoy this sort of show, I would strongly suggest renting Fafner. Eventually, it may end up really surprising you.
weirdofu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Kuroro IX wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:
And here I was, thinking that Fafner was an equal to Evangelion and Rahxephon from all the buzz I had heard about it. If it's just blatent ripoffs of those two fine series, I'm glad I didn't buy it yet. (Though some hardcore Eva fans will claim that Rahxephon is a cheap Eva imitation... :roll:)

Regarding Fafner... it definitely gets off to a rather weak start. But the beginning batch of episodes are by far the worst part of the show; it improves by leaps and bounds as it goes along. At the beginning I thought, "hey, might as well keep watching it for the action," but the characters & dialogue left me feeling cold. (I'm a big Eva & Rah fan, btw, and at the start I would have just laughed if someone told me Fafner would ever approach them in terms of quality).

However, I stuck with Fafner--for whatever reason--and by the end of the show my opinion of it had changed incredibly. It's now my second favorite series, despite the rocky start. If you enjoy this sort of show, I would strongly suggest renting Fafner. Eventually, it may end up really surprising you.

Funny thing was that I watched Fafner because I kind of like the character designs from the specific character designer and I loved the vocals for the opening and ending theme. Then the story kicked in and that had me hooked....well, more actually the drama around episode 5 or 6 I think. The ride is bumpy, but I felt it was worth it.

As for comparisons with RahXephon and Evangelion, that's unavoidable. Same thing happened to RahXephon as well. Back then, I felt that RahXephon felt like what Eva could have been, something more complete. Now, I feel that Fafner, on some levels, does better. But, inevitably, every other anime in the future that's in this specific sub-genre will be compared to Eva and RahXephon, and hopefully, Fafner.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Dear Ms. Bamboo Dong,

I often enjoy reading your reviews, and frequently looked forward to new columns. However, I was so shocked and morally offended at a comment you made in this latest column, that I will never read your column again and inform others to stop their support of your work. Your insensitive cheap shots at Cherry cool-Aid, a wet good that's a solid part of the American way of life, have driven me away from your opinions. Ever since I was a little girl, I enjoyed Cherry cool-Aid, and since then I've been drinking it for 51 years. Your ignorant statements about cool-Aid are uncalled for and I hope you know that you will lose many readers for this lack of sense and overall moral depravity.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Biddleston, mother of 4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I thought Fafner was an Escaflowne rip-off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2