• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Reporter: Live-Action Akira Film's Production Shut Down

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XXghostface

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Good news. Why bother ruined a classic anime?
Banden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
ABOUT TIME

There. Is. A. God.
DmonHiro

Whew... some good news to end the days for me. For a moment there I actually thought they would make it. Bullet dodged... for now.
bradc

Thank goodness. Just leave it alone.

Saved by "creative differences". Very Happy
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
This film wouldn't've have ruined anything. The original film and manga would have survived quite unmolested by the existence of a live-action adaptation that nobody would have been obligated to watch. The worst we might have had to endure is some re-issues with tacky, "now a major motion picture," labels on them. I hate those, but it's hardly enough to justify railing against this so vociferously.

A successful live-action adaptation of Akira might help to promote the animated film and manga, perhaps even anime and manga generally. Even if it were not to, as I admit would likely be the case, I cannot imagine that it would do any meaningful harm to anything but the obnoxiously juvenile psyches of some unpleasantly vocal people on the internet.

There's nothing to lose and perhaps a little to gain, so for the sake of that and those who might have been employed by this production, I will hold a little hope out that it can be saved. Why do some people always resort to such zealous purism when it comes to adaptations?

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The site reports that, according to insiders, if the project's issues cannot be resolved, it "could end up being shelved entirely."

Until reports begin using terminology connoting a greater degree of permanence than "shelved" and its synonyms, one's worries concerning the eventual continuation of this project will remain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh it is as if the Zeus himself came down to guide us through this ordeal..
bradc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Why do some people always resort to such zealous purism when it comes to adaptations?

Tons of comic books and novels gets their own adaptation made and turn into a movie or saga. But for some reasons when it comes to Japan's Manga and Anime, it just doesn't work... Unless it present itself as an animated movie, anything by Hayao Miyazaki, or even the latest Full Metal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos. Unless Japan does it themselves, Rurouni Kenshin Live-Action seemingly speaking in volumes.

We all know what happened... Dragon Ball Evolution. (=_=#)

Last edited by bradc on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
This film wouldn't've have ruined anything. The original film and manga would have survived quite unmolested by the existence of a live-action adaptation that nobody would have been obligated to watch. The worst we might have had to endure is some re-issues with tacky, "now a major motion picture," labels on them. I hate those, but it's hardly enough to justify railing against this so vociferously.

A successful live-action adaptation of Akira might help to promote the animated film and manga, perhaps even anime and manga generally. Even if it were not to, as I admit would likely be the case, I cannot imagine that it would do any meaningful harm to anything but the obnoxiously juvenile psyches of some unpleasantly vocal people on the internet.

There's nothing to lose and perhaps a little to gain, so for the sake of that any those who might have been employed by this production, I will hold a little hope out that it can be saved. Why do some people always resort to such zealous purism when it comes to adaptations?

Oh thank God. I thought I was the only one on the internet to have a non-biased, even-handed opinion on this thing.

Oh well, at least a lot of angry nerds have another excuse to touch themselves in vicarious self-satisfaction tonight

Last edited by Shenl742 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Oh thank God. I thought I was the only on the internet to have a non-biased, even-handed opinion on this thing.

Those people don't post. You should keep that in mind any time you read some kind of baseless bashing.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
This film wouldn't've have ruined anything.

The film would have been a disaster in and of itself. The manga and anime movie would not have been negatively effected but the story that would have been adapted to fit the Live Action movie would have been in shambles. You're completely understating the worst case scenario.

Quote:
Why do some people always resort to such zealous purism when it comes to adaptations?

Attachment maybe. Fanaticism. Maybe reading the changes that were going to be made honestly sounded bad enough to question what the end result would be.
Why do some Hollywood writers/producers feel the need to change so much when it comes to certain adaptations to the point that it becomes a movie "based on X" instead of an adaptation?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist has it 100% right.

This is not a good thing folks. The North American anime industry isn't doing well. You just saw the results this week, BEI is, for all intents and purposes, gone.

Obviously there are a lot of things contributing the the poor health of the industry, but a big project like Akira, if it's any good, would bring a lot of good exposure to anime and manga. That exposure would lead to more sales. Obviously not everyone who likes the movie will decide to start buying anime DVDs and manga, but some people will.

A successful manga based movie will also lead to more anime movies, creating further benefit and funding more anime & manga.

On the other hand, if the movie gets released and it's a crap, what's the downside ? Not much really. It just means that there's less chance of others being made.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Surrender Artist has it 100% right.

This is not a good thing folks. The North American anime industry isn't doing well. You just saw the results this week, BEI is, for all intents and purposes, gone.

Obviously there are a lot of things contributing the the poor health of the industry, but a big project like Akira, if it's any good, would bring a lot of good exposure to anime and manga. That exposure would lead to more sales. Obviously not everyone who likes the movie will decide to start buying anime DVDs and manga, but some people will.

A successful manga based movie will also lead to more anime movies, creating further benefit and funding more anime & manga.

On the other hand, if the movie gets released and it's a crap, what's the downside ? Not much really. It just means that there's less chance of others being made.

There is a downside: A movie that is crap doesn't make money, and Hollywood will look elsewhere for their next project instead of anime and manga. (Bollywood remakes the next big thing, maybe? )

This has already happened to an extent with speed racer's "failure" (I put it in quotes because it did make a lot of money. Just not the expected level of money) and a couple other high profile ones.

Story butchering aside if the movie isn't good, that's not good for anime/manga.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

There's nothing to lose and perhaps a little to gain, so for the sake of that any those who might have been employed by this production, I will hold a little hope out that it can be saved. Why do some people always resort to such zealous purism when it comes to adaptations?

Oh thank God. I thought I was the only one on the internet to have a non-biased, even-handed opinion on this thing.

Oh well, at least a lot of angry nerds have another excuse to touch themselves in vicarious self-satisfaction tonight

Right. Just the fact that they were going to have white people with Japanese names is enough evidence to back up people's fears of this movie turning out bad. There was just a lot of stupid ideas behind this project. Completely unbiased...I don't care for the original Akira at all but the changes they made, decisions they made, and like I said...white people with Japanese names....just pure stupidity in the writing team. The casting team didn't seem much better since they even considered Kristin Stewart. This project was purely about getting tickets sold and not about creating a GOOD movie.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

I agree with you guys.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8