• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Made To Hit In America

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't call myself "self-loathing" for buying R2 DVDs, but it certainly wasn't a happy experience for me, in terms of monetary feelings. Luckily, I've had better experiences with the other two times I've bought R2 DVDs; the first was when I saw Play-Asia selling Volume 2 of Kaiji for $17, which I promptly ordered... And it's probably worth a little bit more now that it's been signed by Masao Maruyama, which happened back at Otakon last year. The second time was this past December, where I bought the three DVDs that were released for Kochikame TV from Amazon.co.jp; the shipping wasn't cheap, though it was expedited shipping that was forced on me, but each DVD was about $30. $30 for 4 episodes? That's not bad at all. But, yeah, I was extremely happy to find raws for Ring ni Kakero 1: Sekai Taikai-hen last year, as I already promised myself that I was not going to buy the DVDs for that show, which were roughly same price as Shadow's DVDs.

As for a hiatused/canceled series that hurts the most, I'm going to say Viz's release of the Bastard!! manga. I was extremely annoyed that Volume 20, which was scheduled and even had cover art revealed for it, ended up never coming out, especially since Volume 19 had just started a new story arc. Had Viz stopped at Volume 18 it would have still sucked, but not nearly as much. I still pray that one day Bastard!! gets a second chance over here, hopefully by Dark Horse, because it would not only fit the company's type of releases but they would at least attempt to continue releasing it if it has a devoted fanbase, like what's happening with Eden.
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Blind-buying the $225 Madoka LEs might seem like complete insanity, but there's a decent chance of selling them for a whole lot more when they go out of print...not that I think they'll dislike the series to actually do that. Smile

As for this week's question, it's undoubtedly His and Hers Circumstances...it's been several years now...I have not learned how to deal with it.
Konopan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm still mad about Moyashimon not getting picked back up by Kodansha after Del Ray's lap exploded.

Seriously though, stopping at 2 volumes?

The stuff about western cartoons and Japanese audiences reminds me of that time I went to niconico and found the Japanese whalers episode of South Park

Plenty of 'wwww's were had. Surprisingly positive reception.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I wish I had answered the question in time, as I snagged all four seasons of Yu Yu Hakusho from the Funimation booth at Megacon a couple years ago. $25 bucks a season for the first long anime I got into when I first got bitten by the anime bug was pretty good. Really ate up my dealer room budget though...It was worth it though, as Chuck Huber signed my Hiei cover, and I plan to get Chris Sabat's autograph on the Kuwabara cover next month! Very Happy
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Most expensive thing for me will be both cours of Fate/Zero when it completes. Trying to stay out of debt with this shit is a nightmare. I need a better job. Fuggin' otaku bug has got me good.

Oh and David, you do know that there is a regular edition for Madoka Magica? You don't have to buy the limited editions if you don't agree with their pricing. They are a luxury made for those that hold the show that high. You are just giving them more incentive to release expensive products lol.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
In terms of dubbing, it seems when the creator responds positively or says "I prefer it dubbed" is when the setting of the series is more "American/Action movieish" than Japanese.. like the Kite example.. maybe they just say that for that reason alone, rather than any actual quality performance or judging, because, eh, I didn't like Kite's dub to be honest...

The only other creator I know of who mentions the foreign version of his works was Osamu Tezuka. He absolutely hated the way America re-imagined his Tetsuwan Atom as 'Astro Boy' and all the changed and editing they did to the story and names to make it some kid-friendly superhero show.

In terms of American animation in Japan.. it's pretty different. Like said, there's a Japanese Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, Nicktoons (or was, rather). It's because Viacom and Time Warner and the like are so big they can actually buy a channel to air their stuff in Japan. It's not like anime licensing here where companies bid for shows then dub them than air them.. that's kind of done all by Viacom since they're so rich and they can put it on Japanese TV themselves. But like said, it's rare non-broadcast channels so most people don't see them. Japanese Nickelodeon did so bad the network actually got pulled and shut down... though Cartoon Network and Disney are still up I believe (ironic, since Nick is the top dog in terms of ratings in America out of the three) In general, no, anime is much bigger in the western world than American cartoon shows are in Japan, despite there being dedicated channels to them. Funny how that works.

Last edited by TitanXL on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Blind-buying the $225 Madoka LEs might seem like complete insanity

For 12 episodes? Yes that is insanity. And this is coming from someone who really enjoyed Madoka, but honestlyly do the math. You're paying $18.75 an episode. For one episode. Back in the day you could get 4 or 5 for a little more than that. I understand people like their LE sets, but honestly there is nothing anyone could tell me that would justify that price for so few episodes.

As for me, I'm a frugal being. The only thing I've ever paid more than I should for was the $50 I paid for 5cm per seconds right after ADV pulled it off the shelves. I can't say it wasn't worth it though.

Last edited by kakoishii on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...if I had to pick a cancelled release I was kinda sad about it would be the Reborn manga (though Viz continues to remain vague on whether or not it's actually "cancelled"). Wasn't too big on the translations though, and I wish they could have done a better job of promoting it since it was my favorite manga at the time.

All that being said I do understand exactly why, translations aside, it wouldn't sell that well here. Specifically in that it takes 8 volumes to get to the actual plot, and that is a big investment. Not to mention that some of the earlier volumes got trashed on reviews sites like ANN. I do hope the manga could possibly get another chance here someday, but for now I've cut my losses and moved on. Too many good series out there to be completely heartbroken over just one.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Surprised the Answer on "Western cartoons in Japan" didn't mention "Avatar: The Last Airbender". Given how anime-styled it is, I'd love to hear how it did in Japan if it's aired there(or even the internet reception if it hasn't aired on tv there). It feels anime enough that Japan could dig it, and it doesn't have any odd cultural puns that would kill a show like Family Guy in translation.

And Konopan, I'd love to hear more on the Japanese response to the "Whale Wars" parody episode of South Park. When I saw Answerman mention changes to the Japanese dub of South Park, I was imagining that episode would be butchered entirely since it doesn't shine very positively on Japan. But then again, the episode had them so over the top(hating whales and dolphins because the US sent them a poorly doctored image of the Enola Gay[that bombed Hiroshima/Nagasaki] with a dolphin and whale as the pilots?), that maybe they'd laugh at it too, same as us laughing at South Park making fun of us. A positive response on Niconico sounds odd, but the internet tends to be more liberal than most of society, but who knows?

*edit*
And on the Japanese creators remarking on the Western adaptations, didn't Tite Kubo specifically tell the dub of Bleach to use Soul Reapers instead of Shinigami? Or was that his publishers? I swear I'd heard he told them to use that since it was much more in line with what he meant the Shinigami to be. Though given how often his characters have clothing with English words on them, I get the idea he might have at least a basic grasp of English.

And hasn't it been said that Shinichiro Watanabe prefers the dub of Cowboy Bebop over the original Japanese version? That's another popular rumor that's flown around the internet(and I think even has a mention on Bebop's Wikipedia page).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
But then again, the episode had them so over the top(hating whales and dolphins because the US sent them a poorly doctored image of the Enola Gay[that bombed Hiroshima/Nagasaki] with a dolphin and whale as the pilots?), that maybe they'd laugh at it too, same as us laughing at South Park making fun of us.

Minor quibble. Enola Gay only bombed Hiroshima. Bockscar (sometimes written as Bock's Car) bombed Nagasaki. I don't know whether South Park missed this point.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Surprised the Answer on "Western cartoons in Japan" didn't mention "Avatar: The Last Airbender". Given how anime-styled it is, I'd love to hear how it did in Japan if it's aired there(or even the internet reception if it hasn't aired on tv there).

It was on Japanese Nickelodeon. Nickelodeon tanked in Japan and so did Avatar.
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
varmintx wrote:
Blind-buying the $225 Madoka LEs might seem like complete insanity
For 12 episodes? Yes that is insanity. And this is coming from someone who really enjoyed Madoka, but honestlyly do the math. You're paying $18.75 an episode. For one episode. Back in the day you could get 4 or 5 for a little more than that. I understand people like their LE sets, but honestly there is nothing anyone could tell me that would justify that price for so few episodes.

As for me, I'm a frugal being. The only thing I've ever paid more than I should for was the $50 I paid for 5cm per seconds right after ADV pulled it off the shelves. I can't say it wasn't worth it though.
Quoting only that portion of my post is taking what I said completely out-of-context. The point was that there's a chance you could actually make money on the LEs. Having said that...

Even though I loved the show, spending even the $120 for the standard editions was an extremely difficult decision. I'm not rich, but I buy a lot of blu-rays. I just bought 6 of them from BB at a total cost of $30+tax with the trade and save sale; so, paying 4 times that for just a 12 episode series is pretty brutal, but I did it anyway. As digital distribution becomes more of a reality, this is just the way it's going to be for those of us who like to collect physical media, especially for niche titles. Whining and "boycotting" aren't going to change anything. The only things I really could do is stop collecting and be content with the much lower quality streaming or just engage in pirating, but I'm just not going to. So, though I certainly don't have to like paying such ridiculous prices, I might as well get use to it.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Was Miyazaki really ****ed about "Warriors of the Wind" enough that he cut off American distro of his movies for a few years? Or was that just the rumor?
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki has said that he prefers viewers to watch his film in the viewer's native language so they can take in the animation and stuff more.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Surprised the Answer on "Western cartoons in Japan" didn't mention "Avatar: The Last Airbender". Given how anime-styled it is, I'd love to hear how it did in Japan if it's aired there(or even the internet reception if it hasn't aired on tv there). It feels anime enough that Japan could dig it, and it doesn't have any odd cultural puns that would kill a show like Family Guy in translation.

Bombed hard, didn't even finish it's run. Cancelled mid season 2.

Pretty much all the Japanese communities I go to online don't even know about it.. the few people I've ever seen that do (like.. maybe one person) didn't like it, and said they didn't see how it was supposed to be 'Japanese/anime-y' when I told them it was "An American cartoon trying to be like anime" as an off-mention when they asked how big anime was in America. So take that as you will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5