• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Battleship Yamato 2199's New Promo Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
It certainly looks good. They have a tricky job because they have to balance nostalgia with updates to make the new version relevant. This is a franchise that has been "resurrected" again and again, but I still wish them well.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I noticed how little Captain Okita's character design changed from the original Leiji Matsumoto design.

I'm super psyched about the music, since Hiroshi Miyagawa's son is doing it and it still has some classic BGM tracks composed by his father, like "The Universe Spreading To Infinity".

Looking forward to this big time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Oooo, that promo gave me a serious anime chub and I'm not even a previous watcher of any of the other SBY shows/movies. I suspect the BD is going to look pretty mouth-watering on muh HDTV, yo.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the full trailer for the video, i got all emotional watching it. It so damn perfect from the look of it, its not crappy reimaging. Its done with alot heart and soul.

I can't wait for it to come out, hopefully they'll have English subtitles so people can buy from overseas (from US) can enjoy it too.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
This will be an OVA series, correct?
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

No... apparently its going to be a tv series, just they animated the first two episodes and made them into a movie.

I was hoping this would be an OVA series like Broken Blade, that uses high quality animation. Since its going to a tv series, I have the feeling the animation is going to dip drasticly, but you never know!

I only saw 11 episodes of the original Starblazers, but I really hope this series will some how get licensed over here even if its only sub disc release.
Hey if Bodacious Space Pirates does well over here, we could get Yamato. Smile
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
LaFreccia wrote:
It certainly looks good. They have a tricky job because they have to balance nostalgia with updates to make the new version relevant.

And update with new techs and tactics. Smile
shukero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Ovan~the~Rebirth wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

No... apparently its going to be a tv series, just they animated the first two episodes and made them into a movie.

I was hoping this would be an OVA series like Broken Blade, that uses high quality animation. Since its going to a tv series, I have the feeling the animation is going to dip drasticly, but you never know!

I only saw 11 episodes of the original Starblazers, but I really hope this series will some how get licensed over here even if its only sub disc release.
Hey if Bodacious Space Pirates does well over here, we could get Yamato. Smile

I don't know how they will drag it out to around 11 episodes though :\ I really wish it was like the break blades ova's
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Looks darned good! Started getting nostalgic as soon as I first heard the sound effects for the meteors and then the music. Really hoping this series gets a N.A. release (BD with English dub, please).
stararnold

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
GhostShell wrote:
Looks darned good! Started getting nostalgic as soon as I first heard the sound effects for the meteors and then the music. Really hoping this series gets a N.A. release (BD with English dub, please).
Same with me, but two dubs should be made as options made for the same DVD/Blu-ray. That way, one dub can use Star Blazers character and mecha names to appeal to those who grew up on the Star Blazers dub of the original Space Battleship Yamato (the dub where the Yamato's crew is multinational with the ship called "Argo") and another dub to use the original Japanese Space Battleship Yamato names to appeal to the Space Battleship Yamato fans who dislike the Americanized Star Blazers flavour of SBY. Lets not forget that some SBY fans tend like both flavours of of the same classic anime while some favour one over the other (ex: some fans find Star Blazers to be superior to the original Japanese flavour of Space Batleship Yamato in terms of narrative writing and character voicing). No offense.

Last edited by stararnold on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Heibi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget, there are those of us who prefer the original language. I'd want a release similar to the Gundam UC blu-ray. Japanese Subtitled in English with a dub track added in for those who like dubs.

I watched the entire series back in the 70's when I was a kid and loved it. But then I heard the Japanese version and liked it much better. Especially when you actually call the ship by it true name - YAMATO. And also when they don't cut scenes like Kodai(Wildstar) actually shooting the enemy straight through the stomach on Titan. Oh, and no references to robot tanks(they were all manned) either. Tons of scenes were cut or dialog was changed due to edits for US TV so children didn't know someone actually might have died. Not that I like killing, I just don't like editing of that kind where they try and make kids think war is safe. Rolling Eyes
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling that Yamato only sells on nostalgia in Japan, and not too well even then compared to other anime. Sorry to say, but the era for what Yamato represents has been dead for 30 years and each time I see a revival it just seems pitiful. Not to say all of Leijiverse stuff is like that, Galaxy Express 999 and Harlock are more timeless because they're not representations of an emasculated and recovering Japanese identity like Yamato, so their stories can be told and retold without feeling rehashed. Maybe this series will do better, but that Yamato revival movie from a couple of years ago was quite underwhelming in scope and story. I can't see any of these being licensed, and if they miraculously are, they won't sell outside of a small circle; even LoGH has more appeal to people willing to buy these days.

As for the comparison to Moretsu Pirates, that anime is much closer to the director's other works like Stellvia and Shingu. The only connection I can draw to Yamato is that they take place in space, and have space ships.

And yes, I'm still running on the opinion that everything after Farewell Yamato is just fanwank because the writers are too weak willed to ever give a story a definitive ending.
stararnold

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Heibi wrote:
I watched the entire series back in the 70's when I was a kid and loved it. But then I heard the Japanese version and liked it much better. Especially when you actually call the ship by it true name - YAMATO. And also when they don't cut scenes like Kodai(Wildstar) actually shooting the enemy straight through the stomach on Titan. Oh, and no references to robot tanks(they were all manned) either. Tons of scenes were cut or dialog was changed due to edits for US TV so children didn't know someone actually might have died. Not that I like killing, I just don't like editing of that kind where they try and make kids think war is safe. Rolling Eyes
Well, some deaths were kept intact in te narrative of Star Blazers, nameley of Sparks, Capt. Gideon, Starsha's sister Sasha, and Wildstar's parents (in the flashbacks) and when considering the "Bolar Wars" episodes of the same dub, they kept intact all the deaths that happened in the Japanese ver. of Yamato III.

However, what's understandable was that some edits were made for Star Blazers to not only fix certain flaws spoiler[like Yuki's return from death at the end of the return trip from Iscandar without narrative explanation of how it was possible (Star Blazers suggested that Nova was knocked out by sleep gas for days then managed to wake up)], but also to change Yamato's name to Argo for moments after the ship's reconstruction in hopes to avoid offending U.S.-based WWII veterans back then while the story remains about saving all of Earth as opposed to just one nation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1