• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Bodacious Space Pirates Gives Princess Serenity Odango Hair

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Another loli?! Can't a guy get some curves up in here? With the body types that the moe phenomenon has brought upon us it's as though japan is trying to tell us that anime is for lolicons, all others need not apply.

This new character looks even less physically mature than princess Serenity's daughter. This is quite ridiculous; that they aren't set in a sci-fi future is not the reason I abstain from watching shows like "Class 5-2" and "listen to me girls, I'm your father", yet from an "artistic standpoint" Bodacious Space Pirates is becoming those very shows, only in space.

Bodacious->Voluptuous->bust. Yet there have only been 2, count em 2, chars as of EP 7 to even have a curve, let alone bust. I call shenanigans with this show's title. I wonder what Kane's thoughts on lolis are...

Bodacious Space Pirates is telling me that if you want to see a modern show which emphasizes plot, character development, and is on the sci-fi genre then you should be a lolicon. I like 3 out of the 4, and unlike in American public education, a C just doesn't cut it here. Damn.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Is anything happening in this show now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
partially

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
You seem to be misinterpreting the title somewhat.

"bodacious is a combination of the words bold and audacious". Nothing at all to do with voluptuous.

penguintruth wrote:
Is anything happening in this show now?

It has picked up a bit, but it's still a pretty slow show, going at its own pace.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:

"bodacious is a combination of the words bold and audacious". Nothing at all to do with voluptuous.
That simply isn't true. "Bodacious" may have originally been only a mere portmanteau of "Bold" and "audacious" but as with many words it has evolved with the language to gain connotation, in this case the connotation of being voluptuous. Fitting as "bodacious", like almost any portmanteau, owes its inception to the continual evolution of language.

But you don't have to take my word for it, if you look up "bodacious" on Wikipedia you'll see "voluptuous" as the 4th potential meaning.
Wikipedia wrote:
Voluptuous, attractive, "hot", appealing to the eye

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodacious
See also the 1980s. When Bill & Ted spoke of "bodacious babes", they weren't speaking of people like the bulk of the characters in Bodacious Space Pirates Wink

I don't think this show lives up to all the praise it is getting, mainly because I'm not seeing these "intricate details" for which the show is lauded. All I'm seeing are 1-line "explanations" which raise more questions than they answer and generic buzz-phrases being tossed around. Perhaps if I were also seeing less elementary-school-looking characters in space, as the title implies, I'd be more in line with those heaping praise on this show. If there were some fanservice distracting me from analyzing the show I could see myself rating it higher, but there isn't really any, at least not for non-lolicons such as myself.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
It has picked up a bit, but it's still a pretty slow show, going at its own pace.

Yup, it's why I put it on-hold for now. I heard there were alot more talking than action :S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Just watch High School DxD. All the voluptuousness you want there. Not all anime is going to cater to your desires. You can't always get what you want.
partially

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
But you don't have to take my word for it, if you look up "bodacious" on Wikipedia you'll see "voluptuous" as the 4th potential meaning.
Wikipedia wrote:
Voluptuous, attractive, "hot", appealing to the eye

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodacious
See also the 1980s. When Bill & Ted spoke of "bodacious babes", they weren't speaking of people like the bulk of the characters in Bodacious Space Pirates Wink

Well I would say that Wikipedia in this case is somewhat incorrect. It certainly can refer to a voluptuous woman, but it is not referring to their bust, nor that they are necessarily 'hot'. It is referring to the fact that they are essentially 'boldly showing themselves off'. Hence a lot of the woman in these cases are not all that busty, it is simply the way they carry themselves and show themselves off, bodaciously. They are being audacious and bold, the exact use of the word. Hence also why not all busty woman are referred to as bodacious (at least you shouldn't use it in that fashion), since if they cover themselves up and dress normally they are no longer 'bodacious'. Again I would say its similar in the case of Bill and Ted. Many of the women it refers to are of course busty, but they aren't necessarily so. It refers in these cases to a style of dress and attitude, rather than a physical attribute.

And again that is obviously not the way the word should be used with Space Pirates, they are going to the simple meaning of audacious and bold. Which is exactly the tone the show goes for, which they arguably have/haven't achieved.

Last edited by partially on Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Slow News week? I mean I like me some Space Pirates and I like me some Sailor Moon and knowing the director's Nadesico heritage, I'm not surprised he'd go for such a low ball joke, but this is a tad nonexistant news-wise.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
See that big "INTEREST" at the start of the headline? Yeah, that's right. It's not news. animenewsnetwork.com/news if you only want news.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Got nothing against moe nor do I blame it for all of life's misery, but you have to admit, Sailor Moon's original character design looks practically geriatric compared to many of the anime girls today!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Are we seriously having this discussion? Echo_City's nonsense does not seem to merit very serious treatment. The figures of the female characters are mostly idealized, but not exaggerated and dressed like waitresses at Hooters. That's not the same as lolicon.

As for the title. This all seems like some mentally unbalanced kind of pedantry. The Japanese often do strange things with English that don't match to how Americans use the language. Whatever they wanted to convey withbodacious in the title this is all a terribly petty, superficial line of, well it isn't 'reasoning', but line of something.

Such a strange series to make for such disagreeable behavior.

Conan-san wrote:
Slow News week? I mean I like me some Space Pirates and I like me some Sailor Moon and knowing the director's Nadesico heritage, I'm not surprised he'd go for such a low ball joke, but this is a tad nonexistant news-wise.

It is, as has been noted, filed under interest, not news. What's more, it can easily observed that it has not been a, "slow news week." Regardless, what is the point of comments like this? It's not as though ANN isn't doing its job, but is just producing endless puff pieces at the expense of news. Almost every time an 'interest' piece comes up, somebody has to come in and ask this obnoxious rhetorical question to which the answer is probably no and I find it really irritating.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdreura

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
See that big "INTEREST" at the start of the headline? Yeah, that's right. It's not news. animenewsnetwork.com/news if you only want news.

I don't know about anyone else, but this excuse is starting to wear thin for me. So it's not news, fine, but just what qualifies as "INTEREST"? Any single, completely obvious reference the Interest section editor happens to catch in whatever show they happen to be watching? Seriously. Who doesn't know that Sailor Moon is blonde and has meatball hair?

The majority of interest articles, about surveys and events in Japan and whatnot, are legitimately informative and interesting. This is not. This doesn't need its own article and image gallery to explain it. A TVTropes mention is sufficient.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Talking about Sailor Moon references............

doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Talking about Sailor Moon references............

Wow, even Adventure Time has a Sailor Moon reference! I can't say I remember that part though, I must've missed that episode. Anyone know which one it was?
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I think this is quite a nice homage by the animators.

Echo_City wrote:
Bodacious Space Pirates is telling me that if you want to see a modern show which emphasizes plot, character development, and is on the sci-fi genre then you should be a lolicon. I like 3 out of the 4, and unlike in American public education, a C just doesn't cut it here. Damn.

WTF are you smoking?

1. The vast majority of characters so far are 15-18 year old girls. As a whole, a C-cup is quite large for asian girls (despite what much manga and anime may suggest), and not small for most other genotypes. The girls are simply being portrayed realistically.

2. We've only had a really good look at two major adult female characters. One I would describe as large-breasted, one slightly on the small size but not excessively so. I can't say that I've taken a close enough look at the psychic(?) on the bridge yet - I was more interested in what was happening at the time.

3. Many of the bit characters (e.g. women on the cruisers) have had very nicely filled-out dresses. As a whole, I'd say they've had wonderbras on ...

4. A C-cup is a pretty nice size no matter what. In fact, I find that anything larger than a C-cup tends to look wrong on most women's bodies.

Personally, I'm really happy that I don't notice the breasts as a major point in this show. They're there and they're in a normal range of sizes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3