• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[JP/HK/TW/KR] DVD/Blu-ray Release List with [EngSub] and/or [EngDub]

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Google Docs table link

The table is still work in progress. The table at the moment is broken down to five categories:
  • Japan (Blu-ray)
  • Japan (DVD)
  • Hong Kong (DVD & Blu-ray)
  • Taiwan (DVD & Blu-ray)
  • Korea (DVD & Blu-ray)

Release titles in BOLD indicate release is unavailable in the U.S.

Please point any errors and omissions in this thread. Suggestions are also welcomed.

Last edited by WTK on Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Nice list WTK. Smile

Does anyone know about the video/packaging quality of the Ghibli movies from Taiwan or Hong Kong? They are substantially cheaper than the JP releases, though I know they lack some of the extra dub/sub tracks (french, spanish, etc), and have only the JP and ENG track with ENG subtitles. I'd be willing to compromise if the video quality and packaging were pretty good.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, thanks WTK. I had no idea there was a English subbed HK DVD of Detroit Metal City. Now I gotta figure out what else I'll put in the cart at YesAsia for the free shipping.
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Does anyone know about the video/packaging quality of the Ghibli movies from Taiwan or Hong Kong? They are substantially cheaper than the JP releases, though I know they lack some of the extra dub/sub tracks (french, spanish, etc), and have only the JP and ENG track with ENG subtitles. I'd be willing to compromise if the video quality and packaging were pretty good.

Video quality (from I have heard) is comparable to the JP release. The packaging though are pretty much just the standard Blu-ray case (I believe with slipcovers for the most part). Extras typically are not subbed.
Megiddo wrote:
I had no idea there was a English subbed HK DVD of Detroit Metal City. Now I gotta figure out what else I'll put in the cart at YesAsia for the free shipping.

Depending on what else you're looking for, I would price compare to http://www.dddhouse.com (for Hong Kong releases).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
As always, WTK, very much appreciate the effort and time that goes into putting together this kind of useful info.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
This is fantastic WTK. With the US and Japan now sharing a BD region, I've been thinking about possibly getting going on some importing, so this will save a lot of time in seeing of the ones not available here, which have subtitles since *changes to annoying, whining voice* no subs, no buy.
Starsplash Taiwan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Even though Im in Taiwan and I do trust all sources on this site, I still can only buy from the states or from Malaysia. I dont trust paying all that money in Taiwan to find out that it has or it doesn't have eng subs. Its a gamble for me.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
Starsplash Taiwan wrote:
Even though Im in Taiwan and I do trust all sources on this site, I still can only buy from the states or from Malaysia. I don't trust paying all that money in Taiwan to find out that it has or it doesn't have eng subs. Its a gamble for me.

Eh, you could check up product details from respective licensees. Very few have English sub, anyway; for the record, most Taiwanese anime fans have below-than-average English proficiency.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Starsplash Taiwan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Starsplash Taiwan wrote:
Even though Im in Taiwan and I do trust all sources on this site, I still can only buy from the states or from Malaysia. I don't trust paying all that money in Taiwan to find out that it has or it doesn't have eng subs. Its a gamble for me.

Eh, you could check up product details from respective licensees. Very few have English sub, anyway; for the record, most Taiwanese anime fans have below-than-average English proficiency.

Very freaking true. Theres really no point in having english subs in this case. Still obnoxious though
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
via Play-Asia.com (Howl's Moving Castle)
Quote:
Intercontinental Video Limited

Price: US$ 36.90
Shipping at US$ 4.90

Release Date: Feb 21, 2012
Language: Japanese, Cantonese
Subtitles: Chinese, English, Japanese
Running Time: 119 Minutes
Version: Hong Kong
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
via JS DVD Mall (Howl's Moving Castle)
Quote:
Release date: 4/6/2012
Retail price: NT$888

Audio: Japanese
Subtitle: Japanese/English/Traditional Chinese
Run Time: 119
Screen: Widescreen 16:9 / 1920 X 1080p Full HD
Studio: Studio Ghibli / Deltamac

via JS DVD Mall (Tales From Earthsea)
Quote:
Release date: 4/6/2012
Retail price: NT$888

Audio: Japanese
Subtitle: Japanese/English/Traditional Chinese
Run Time: 115
Screen: Widescreen 16:9 / 1920 X 1080p Full HD
Studio: Studio Ghibli / Deltamac
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote
Are waiting you until a Japanese store site lists whether or not the Black Rock Shooter box set and singles have English subtitles?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Are waiting you until a Japanese store site lists whether or not the Black Rock Shooter box set and singles have English subtitles?

Yeah, I'm waiting for the official Japanese channels to note the information (whether that being official website or not). The direct imports from Japan for Taiwan and Korean having conflicting subtitles information.
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

Yeah, I'm waiting for the official Japanese channels to note the information (whether that being official website or not). The direct imports from Japan for Taiwan and Korean having conflicting subtitles information.

I will be adding to the list with the latest EngSub confirmation from the via ANNCast with Sam Pinansky (Quarkboy) noted at around 29:40.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. I think I'll wait to see what Aniplex will do with it before making any decision on importing or not, assuming they bother doing anything for R1 in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 42