• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2005-10-21]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh hell yeah, I'm totally in!

I just love these new thinpaks from ADV, they're great!
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
Complete agreement on One Piece. Spazzing out against 4Kids is one thing, but they really screwed up this show. And they're capeable of better-Shaman King remained fun even after they dubbed it, and Yugi-Oh...well, it didn't get any more terrible, anyway. But for some reason, they really took the scissors to One Piece, more than any other show they've ever done. I mean, Pokemon has had something like 400 episodes at this point, and in all that time, 4Kids has only skipped about five of them, all filler. So far 4Kids is up to around episode 70 of One Piece, and they've skipped over twenty episodes already, many of them important to the overall plot. It's a real shame, as for my money One Piece is easily the best of Shonen Jump action series.

As for fansub justification-One Piece is the only lisenced show I download anymore. The dub is awful and I want the original, and that's all there is to it. If 4Kids brings out uncut DVDs-not just promises them, but actually produces a disc that I can hold in my hand-I won't download anymore. Until then, I'm watching the subs and 4Kids can bite me.

Anyway, my main point here is that I like your cats.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah. It's one thing when they do a certain amount of work with a series just to make a profit (and release uncut DVDs as well, because hey, that can bring it even more profit), but One Piece... I just fail to see the point. What's 4Kids trying to prove with that? With the amount of time and money they spend editing they could probably invest in making their own original series at this rate...
ginzugirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
The One Piece thing is pretty tragic. I don't mind watching a series in either Japanese and/or an English dub, but like many, I've seen One Piece in it's proper format. What Nelvanna did ought to be counted as a crime against nature and validates the opinions of the anti-dub crowd as well as angers people who appreciates the work that goes into producing an anime series! I can't believe the Nelvanna hasn't learned it's lesson.

What a waste or a wonderful anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
ginzugirl wrote:
The One Piece thing is pretty tragic. I don't mind watching a series in either Japanese and/or an English dub, but like many, I've seen One Piece in it's proper format. What Nelvanna did ought to be counted as a crime against nature and validates the opinions of the anti-dub crowd as well as angers people who appreciates the work that goes into producing an anime series! I can't believe the Nelvanna hasn't learned it's lesson.

What do you mean learn it's lesson? Nelvanna has at least done something right my giving sublicences to Geneon and FUNimations to adapt and release the uncut subtitled version of their animes. 4Kids on the otherhand has only released two uncut animes (Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King), both of which are being released painfully slow and the the adaptation was handled by 4Kids directly instead of FUNimations.

Anyways, I do hope that 4Kids does sell off One Piece. I mean, with 246 episodes and counting, those needless yet somewhat costly edits, and it's faltering rating on 4KidsTV and Toonami, I would think that right now 4Kids would be losing money. And if Geneon makes a firm stand with Viewtiful Joe on KidsWB, then 4Kids will have some real competition in their own backyard. Not to mention that 4Kids's lease on Fox's Saturday Morning Cartoon Block is due to expire soon.

On a side note, we have another five years until Nelvanna's full license of Cardcaptors expire, allowing someone else (my money's on Geneon) to pick up the license and faithfully redub the series. That is unless Nelvanna sells before it expires or someone buys it from Nelvanna.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:44 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

And that is one boxed set I REALLY want to win.....okay, schoolwork goes on backburner whilst I think up something totally hilarious for that picture Laughing.

As far as my reaction to the anti-fansub-only comments, I can say that with respect to the radical fansub-only folks, the comments are generally correct. However, I must point out that it FELT like the comments about quality of fansubs was directed towards all of the fansubbing community in general. It is THAT last bit that I have some beef with (the rest I, for the most part, totally agree). See, I am a big fansub supporter, but only in proper context. STILL, I have found several groups whose quality of translation and english editing (tidying up the translators lines so that the lines are proper english dialouge) come VERY close to rivaling the best subtitling jobs done by the later licensing company. How do I know this? B.c I have not just the DVDs, but still have the fansubs as well and I did a comparison. This was a while ago, so I'll have to go back and recheck, but one good example is PLANETES. I compared my favored fansub group's work to the official release, and while some of the technojargon gets muddled sometimes (I helped edit a few episodes of that series with that favored group and can testify that we wanted to get that stuff right and spent literally HOURS per PASS per EDITOR on those episodes checking translation and proper technical usage. our translator was invaluable to the editing process after he had already translated the episode) in the fansub, the overal quality is on par, and I noticed very little difference except some slight mispellings. I have never touted the fansubs to be superior in quality to the official subs (except in subtitle format....they're still using that ugly and small urine yellow font instead of using a bit larger, black edged white font...which would be FAR superior and increase ease of reading by at least 2-fold), but to say that they are piss-poor or to imply such incompetancy to all fansub groups (and that is what was implied) is an insult to all of us fansubbers who treat our volunteer work seriously (we consider it to be a labor of love....love of the series) and work hard to produce a good end-result. TRUE, there are ALOT of crappy fansubbing groups who don't give a rip, but you'll usually find that your most famous (not infamous) fansub groups are the groups that, regardless of their speed of release, consistantly produce quality fansubs, that some will even tout as reliable back-ups to the DVD releases (instead of burning a copy of the DVD to your HDD for your own personal use, or instead of getting a pirate group's dvd rips for the series that you own).

Still, it was the comment on quality of fansubs (implication being all fansubs, though such an allegation was never explicitly said. as someone once said, "It's not about what you said, it's about how it came across") that I took issue with, not with the rant against the almost-religious anti-corporate fansub-only nutcases out there.
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:02 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

If you think your comedy will beat my comedy, then we shill see. Because I have nothing to do for quite a while... I'll come up with lines after lines of comedic jokes till I win hours if not days to win. Btw thinpaks from ADV are great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the One Piece edits were sad, but with the substance use and abuse and violence that goes on in this title, edits should have been expected. It may have been a kids show in Japan, but those type of activities make it a teen show in the US using the ratings guidelines.

Poor Zac is still getting mail on the dub vs sub thing. Everyone should just remember that anime is a luxury and not a neccesity. Saying that you can't get it in your country, too poor to afford it, etc means that you can do without it. Fansubs are just bandaids until you support the industry and buy the legitimate DVDs in my opinion.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:47 am Reply with quote
My thoughts exactly on One Piece; I'd tolerate the censorship and that kind of stuff. But when they start cutting out entire story arcs and splicing episodes, that's when they take things too far, I think it's about 30 episodes they've removed.

On a happier note; I like this week's prize. I was planning on getting the FMP box set at some point, but now I have an opportunity to win it.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:30 am Reply with quote
I have a quick question about that screenshot; it's a little hazy and hard for me to make out what's going on... Are both of the characters pointing guns at each other, or just one of 'em?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
iBooks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I have a quick question about that screenshot; it's a little hazy and hard for me to make out what's going on... Are both of the characters pointing guns at each other, or just one of 'em?

They're both aiming guns at each other... it's episode 5 or 6 of the original Full Metal Panic.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

They're pointing guns at eachother. Sorry about the haziness of it;that's how the scene was shot. It's a screencap straight from the DVD.
Space Goats

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Kurtz has a gun arm in that picture. Anime smile
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Another reason that the Sailor Moon dubs won't be seen on television again anytime soon is that both DiC's and Cloverway's rights expired and Toei doesn't seem to want to do anything else with the license in North America for the time being (or they asked more for the renewal of the rights than DiC and Cloverway were willing to pay for a franchise already on the wane).

Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:
ginzugirl wrote:

What do you mean learn it's lesson? Nelvanna has at least done something right my giving sublicences to Geneon and FUNimations to adapt and release the uncut subtitled version of their animes. 4Kids on the otherhand has only released two uncut animes (Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King), both of which are being released painfully slow and the the adaptation was handled by 4Kids directly instead of FUNimations.

Not just that, but the long-dead horse known as Cardcaptors was just Nelvana's attempt to see if it could compete with 4Kids in the heavily "localized" kiddy TV dub market, and it's an experiment that failed. Nelvana hasn't touched anime since Beyblade failed to become the "new Pokémon" and hasn't publically expressed any interest in returning to the "localization" market, so, if there was a lesson to be learned, Nelvana has already "learned" it, and they "learned" it several years ago.

Unlike 4Kids, Nelvana was always a company that produced its own animation (like the surprisingly decent 6Teen), and their brief foray into the world of anime "localization" was just a side-project, and a side-project that probably proved to be a bigger headache for them than it was worth. (Yes, I'm aware that 4Kids is beginning to produce some of their own shows, but it's primarily a licensee and a syndicator.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I love the caption contests. I totally would've picked "Wake up with the King"!! Oh the remarkable similarity to the terrifying BK ad campaign.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4