• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:38 am Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Don't forget that FMP is based on a novel series. They won't make more anime until more novels have been published and they have enough source material to work with.

The next two novels are already out in print. Dancing Merry Christmas could itself be an OVA or movie (hopefully OVA so they can get more time to fit in all the material), and COntinuing on my own is long enough to be a 13 to 24 episode series.

I didn't know that. That's good to know. If "Continuing on My Own" has that much material and FMP: TSR got good ratings, then there is probably a pretty good chance of another series.
Magebane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Although TSR was good and all... but, personally i don't think there was enough episodes...(makes me sad because FMP is the only anime series i have seen..).
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, because I forced myself to re-watch all of FMP! and FMP? Fumoffu before starting on TSR, I hadn't seen any of TSR until yesterday. I finished today.

Throughout the whole thing, I couldn't help but think that it felt completely different from the two other series. This is to be expected, though, as TSR is much more serious. Kyoto Animation did a great job of capturing the seriousness. More night scenes, and the darker shading really enhance the atmosphere. I'm glad that the music was fairly minimal too. With every show having constant music, it makes it a bit more tense without a whole lot of it.

As far as the story goes, there weren't many surprises for me since I had already read the novel that the series is based on. It is, however, a completely different experience. Although, sometimes I wish I could have been more surprised in some places, like when spoiler[Sousuke was given the order to stop guarding Chidori.]

I must say, the "near misses" in Sousuke and Kaname's relationship are starting to get a little tiring. However, I still can't stop myself from becoming almost giddy with anticipation every time, even though I know that each of those moments will end anticilmactically. spoiler[The "haircut" episode was amazing though. I could really feel the tension between Sousuke and Kaname through the whole thing. It seemed fairly realistic. Especially when Sousuke was leaving. As anyone who has been there knows, it does't take that long for two people who are "just friends" to say, "Goodnight. I'll see you tomorrow," and part ways.] Gaaah, the near misses again! I hate them but I love them. Hopefully when (spoiler that goes beyond TSR, don't read if you don't want to know what might happen next) spoiler[Kaname is rescued from Amalgam, those near misses won't happen again. This is pure speculation though, as I'm assuming that Kaname will be rescued. I don't think the novels have gotten that far yet.]

I felt that the pacing could have been improved a bit. Maybe if they had used an episode or even half an episode less to set up spoiler[Blueno's betrayal], the rest of it could have been spread out a little better. As far as the ending goes, though, I think some people might get the idea that the physical battle is supposed to be the climax. It really isn't. The main theme of the second half of the series is really Sousuke's personal struggle, although the author did a good job of reminding us that the world isn't going to stop just because some mecha pilot is feeling depressed. I mean, this isn't End Of Eva here where the whiny pilot is in control of the whole world's fate.

Overall I think it's another great series and ADV needs to license and release it as quickly as possible.

I don't think I could write that much about a series that isn't FMP.
rkenshin21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:23 am Reply with quote
spoiler[The fact that the testorossa brother was in the background talking to a higher up tells me there will definatly be another season. They left it open. I personally think TSR is better than the first one. I like the serious tone they put on it and how they used it all to bring out the feelings sagara was going through. This way the badguy died made sense. In a classic way. Badguy, Badguy gets killed by bad guy group. Then group is destroyed by the newly uplifted and powerful hero. Its a classic hero story come on guys. It was absolutly beutiful!!!!!!!!!!!. I cant wait for the NEXT season and see what mr. testorossa is up to. Hehe.]
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:37 am Reply with quote
rkenshin21 wrote:
spoiler[The fact that the testorossa brother was in the background talking to a higher up tells me there will definatly be another season. They left it open.]

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Remember, the anime is based on a series of novels. So, this season was left open because there actually is more story to tell, but it was the end of a specific story arc. We can't guarantee whether more will be animated or not. But, don't give up hope just yet. If there is going to be another season, expect to hear an announcment within the next year or so.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I have seen a few episodes of the original FMP series and most of the Fumoffu series and vastly preferred the less serious tone of Fumoffu. My question is simply this:-

Is FMP:TSR a serious series(as in the latter half of FMP) or more of a fun, mess around series(as in Fumoffu)?
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
The Second Raid is more serious even than the first series. It continues the main storyline whereas Fumoffu was based off of the more comedic side stories.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote
TSR is just as (if not more) serious as the latter half of the first season...there are a few comedic moments, but it's nowhere near as fun/carefree as Fumoffu. It's a spectrum, basically...
Fumoffu (fun/zany) -- 1st seaason (balance of comedy/action) -- TSR (serious, violent)
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I thoroughly enjoyed watching Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid. My take on the three series is this:

Full Metal Panic!: Confused
Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu: Comedy Driven
Full Metal Panic! TSR: Action/Plotline Driven

There are funny moments in TSR as well, but I guess you could compare the amount of comedy in TSR to the amount of seriousness in Fumoffu. The earlier episodes on TSR may feel like FMP! all over again, but starting from the middle, it grows into quite an amazing series. I must admit, one particular episode in the middle was almost Kiminozo "in-your face must watch the next episode" exciting.

The serious side of FMP! did not appeal to me that much either. It *was* serious, but just not exciting enough to really keep me energized. Throughout the series, I kept anticipating and waiting for the comedy to come back.

TSR, on the other hand, is "edge-of-your-chair" exciting.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I'll give it a pass then. Serious action always leaves me cold, a series has to offer more than just that to keep me interested.

(I'm a carefree, romance type of guy...)
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, there is a little more of the Souske/Kaname relationship in TSR as well, that you might not want to miss.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
But does it really go anywhere? Or are we left in 'attracted and caring but too shy to make a move' territory?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
But does it really go anywhere? Or are we left in 'attracted and caring but too shy to make a move' territory?

Kinda, spoiler[Souske is ordered to pull out of the school as his superiors believe the threat to Kaname is over. This forces both of them to admit to themselves how they feel about each other. A crisis arises in Hong Kong and the crew is sent there to deal with it however, Souske, worried about her and frustrated with himself because he can't operate the Arbalist propperly (which is actually the same problem), goes AWOL. Meanwhile, Kaname is left to fend for herself, when she's suddenly attacked again. As they always do things all come togather in the end and by this point if they both aren't aware of the mutual attraction they're denser than lead. They don't blatently state it though, no. Of course seeing Kaname in skimpy clothes is reason enough to see TSR. ] Wink

Nothing, but confirming what the audiance is already aware of in a dramatic style. If anyone is ever going to "make a move" in this relationship it's going to Kaname as Souske is hopeless when it comes to those kinds of social graces. Rolling Eyes

TSR is more of character piece and a drama than the other two ever were though so it does have that going for it. It's a really good series in my opinion.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

I honestly think one of the best parts about FMP! is that their relationship progresses more normally than in most anime. They progress gradually rather than either character deciding instantly from the beginning. They do take more steps in "that" direction in TSR though. spoiler[When Sousuke gets the order to leave Japan and discontinue contact with Kaname, he smashes his laptop computer with his bare hand. If that's not a strong feeling, then I don't know what is. And Kaname followed him all the way to Hong Kong when Sousuke was dispatched there, fully intending to tell him how she really felt. However, Sousuke was deceived into believing that Kaname had been killed and was in a pretty sad state when Kaname found him. Rather than going through with the confession, she felt compelled to place her knee in his face. After the Hong Kong ordeal, Sousuke negotiated with Mithril so he could continue going to school and living in Japan. Kaname's presence has had quite an impact on Sousuke and is the primary source of his development as a character.]

Kruszer wrote:
If anyone is ever going to "make a move" in this relationship it's going to Kaname as Souske is hopeless when it comes to those kinds of social graces. Rolling Eyes

About that...
[WARNING: NOVEL SPOILER AHEAD]
spoiler[Suddenly, Sousuke opened his mouth and said, "Chidori."
"What is it now?"
"Let's hold hands."]

That's all I'll share about that.
mc_beaner69

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Full metal panic is a pretty good series. At the very least i enjoyed since episode 1 season 1. Fumoffu was light hearted and funny yet lacking because there was no advancement of any kind. The Second raid was just amazing because of all the emotion you could feel. Sousuke especially showed a different side side not seen before.

OH YEAH BTW i know this is a noob question but does anyone know if there'll be more of the anime series? I kinda hated the way TSR ended; like some animes it had that cliffhanger-ish type ending and i know i'll probably have to read the manga but still i was just wonderin! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3