• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sola Blu-ray Box Specs Updated to 1080p

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Man, I hope this makes it over in the US. I held off purchasing Sola for a host of reasons. Now I'm happy I did.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
For the moment the only way you can purchase it here is the Bandai collection of it.

I haven't researched it yet, but I wonder if that blu-ray box would include English subtitles. One can only hope.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
For the moment the only way you can purchase it here is the Bandai collection of it.

I haven't researched it yet, but I wonder if that blu-ray box would include English subtitles. One can only hope.
Agreed. Even though I wont be able to afford Japanese prices for awhile, this is one of my favorite series of all time so it would be worth it if I ever had the extra cash. Matsuri Shihou forever
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:

According to the cdjapan web-site, the box set doesn't include sub-titles. Whether that will change between now and September is anyone's guess.
DragonKnight76

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to own this one on Blu-ray but since Bandai pulled out of the US I am not holding my breath.

Amazon.jp does not mention subtitles either but even if they did at their prices I would still hesitate.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't expect any subtitles :< I don't think the very small English speaking circle that will be importing fits into their business plan. Along with Bandai Visuals recent release of Gunbuster and the upcoming Diebuster, this BD box is a must own for me. Thank goodness I passed up buying the R2 DVDs, as they would have essentially cost me the same price!

Lately, I've found myself buying a bunch of un-subtitled (raw?) Japanese discs lately. Five years back Japanese releases would have never even crossed my mind. Funny how things change.

The price for this one isn't too shabby by Japanese standards. Compared to Diebuster on Amazon Japan, the price is about ¥8000 more for more than twice the content. I'm surprised they aren't asking for more.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
The box may say that, but we'll have to wait until September to see if this isn't yet another shoddy Q-Tec upscale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1