• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 4 Anime Compiled Into 90-Minute Film with New Cuts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
26 episodes that distilled over 60 hours of gameplay shrunk into 90 minutes?

It would take a miracle to pull that off, my hopes are low.

*Iron Maiden shout out on my post number*
FlamingLight

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
O_o Well, we'll see how this goes.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Persona 4 is quickly becoming one of the most over-milked JRPGs of the past 10 years. I loved the original game (and still do), but once they started doing fighting game spinoffs, revised editions, TV anime, and now an anime movie based on the TV anime, well, I pretty much have no incentive to pimp Persona 4 to other people anymore.

Just get on with Persona 5. Let's meet some new characters already.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
That's... Odd. So, it's the recap no one really wants to see on TV... In theaters.

Also, there's a mistake. It says the True End episode "was" released, when in fact the final DVD is being released late August this year, so it hasn't been released yet.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Persona 4 is quickly becoming one of the most over-milked JRPGs of the past 10 years. I loved the original game (and still do), but once they started doing fighting game spinoffs, revised editions, TV anime, and now an anime movie based on the TV anime, well, I pretty much have no incentive to pimp Persona 4 to other people anymore.

sounds like someone hate people making money. this world is not about you or American. They are making this for Japan.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
bravetailor wrote:

sounds like someone hate people making money. this world is not about you or American. They are making this for Japan.

Excellent conversation stopper. Kudos. "You can't have an opinion, because it's not about you or Americans. And you're not Japanese."

In fact, let's just get rid of this message board already. Since most anime is made for Japan, what merit do our western opinions have at all? Why have an opinion? Why even talk about anything at all?
animegamingnerd

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
persona 4 is my favorite game of all time but i think they are milking a little to much hell activision hasn't milked call of duty or capcom milking every fighting game they have as much as the entire of japan as milked persona 4
BSzabo45

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
They're really pushing it now. I think P4 was certainly a bright spot in JRPG history and it should be treated as such, but this isn't the best way to honor it. I'm ready to be surprised but the movie must tap into the game's dark, dramatic tone. Something I think the anime failed to do.

I'm trying to tolerate the commercialization of Persona 4 but if any other bad spin offs pop up I'll have to get in touch with my inner Sergeant Shultz and say: "I see nothing! I know nothing!" To save the positive image I have of the game.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
This is just a bad idea. The TV already tried to go for a significant amount of the 120 hour completion and now it wants to go back and try to do it in 90 minutes? Even if they cut out all the social links, "recapping" the series would be difficult for any newcomer to really digest in 90 minutes.
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Can you really condense so much into a 90 min film? Sounds like they were inspired by Evangelion: Death and Rebirth. Welp at least there's no End of Persona 4.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah...there's way too much material to coherently smash into ONE film. Probably just a way to get people to spend money to see the true ending early. I guess this technically makes my prediction of a P4 movie true though. Thats a pretty awesome poster though.

I really hope that since they are going the whole 9 yards with P4, they'll go back and animate P3. As much as I liked this anime, I think P3 would translate better into a series.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Oi vey...as much as I love Persona 4, I (in general) LOATHE recap films more. You can blame Blue Gender: The Warrior for that.

Hagaren Viper wrote:
I really hope that since they are going the whole 9 yards with P4, they'll go back and animate P3. As much as I liked this anime, I think P3 would translate better into a series.

That's my main hope from all of the P4 attention as well, and (I suspect and hope anyway) is maybe why they included some P3 people in Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena. I actually prefer Persona 3 anyway, so seeing it get some more love now would be great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rrizqiw

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

you can thanks index for that
opn

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:

this i absolutely loved p3p and would gladly watch a anime version of it though i do hope if one is made it has higher production values then the p4 anime.
superdry

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

There's was also a Persona 4 stage play this year.

Persona 5 would be nice, but I'd rather see SMT 5 on one of the home consoles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2