• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.K. Anime Industry Announcements at MCM Expo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DustyShinigami

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Black Lagoon is missing from the article... It should be getting it's re-release 2 July on Blu-ray and DVD
ninja noir

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
wow, this is sounding pretty nice. "Possible" Madoka BD? At least they are considering it. Sounding pretty good all over. I am pleased enough with this. Smile
Rob47

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
ninja noir wrote:
wow, this is sounding pretty nice. "Possible" Madoka BD? At least they are considering it. Sounding pretty good all over. I am pleased enough with this. Smile

Really wish they had announced this sooner. I just bought Vol 1 and 2 from MCM.
Takuku

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Rob47 wrote:
ninja noir wrote:

Madoka itself or the Blu-rays for it?

It's been known about for a while that Manga has Madoka.
Rob47

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Takuku wrote:
Rob47 wrote:
ninja noir wrote:

Bah I should have done my research. I asked a couple of times on twitter but was rebuffed. I wonder if it's worth selling it and rebuying later? Manga releases so few BRs It would be good to support them.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
I really want to support Madoka, but if Manga don't man up and give us the blu rays then I'll import them.

And they can cry foul all they want.
ninja noir

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
Rob47 wrote:
Takuku wrote:
Rob47 wrote:
ninja noir wrote:

Bah I should have done my research. I asked a couple of times on twitter but was rebuffed. I wonder if it's worth selling it and rebuying later? Manga releases so few BRs It would be good to support them.

Aye, we really should buy any BD that manga release. They always seem so careful with it. Shame that anime fans in the UK aren't really taking to it.

Also glad to see MVM dipping their toes into the format.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
Can't take to what's not there.
Tsuruya-San

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Quite happy with all of MVM's licenses. Will definitely be picking all of them up Very Happy
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
Trigun: Badlands Rumble - I'm glad they're releasing this on BD but I should really watch the TV series first before deciding whether to pick it up.

The World God Only Knows Season 1 & 2 - Saw one episode online and wasn't super impressed, reviews haven't been all that glowing, I do like it but I don't know if I like it enough to watch further and thus am unlikely to buy it as I buy DVDs so I can watch them.

Sengoku Basara: Samurai Kings 2 - I notice there's no mention of BD though they did one for the first season. The show has high production values and would probably look pretty good in HD, I bought the DVD set of the first season a year or 3 ago when I didn't have a Blu-ray player and while I can see why the show is popular and I don't dislike it I've only gotten as far as episode 3 and I don't think I can be bothered to watch anymore, so I don't plan to buy this either way.

Gekijō-ban Tiger & Bunny -The Beginning-, Blu-ray/DVD doublepack TV series Part 1 - I would love to see the movie but probably won't be able to travel to either of the screenings, I am looking forward to the Blu-ray release of the TV series and am hoping that "Part 1" means the first half rather than the first 3-5 episodes (In fairness it would probably be at least 4 episodes if it was a single volume, but I'd still be reluctant due to the likely high price of collecting them all and the significant chance of cancellation partway).

Blue Exorcist part 1 - Love the manga, don't really see much point in bothering with the anime as it's just a small part of the manga, not that I'll never check out a partial adaptation, but the reviews for the anime haven't convinced me it's really worth it this time.

Quote:
MVM is aiming to release one anime title a month. Given the strong presales for Broken Blade, where the Blu-ray presales have substantially exceeded those for the DVD, MVM is looking at “two or three” other anime titles for possible Blu-ray treatment. (Broken Blade is released on Blu-ray and DVD in June, due to MVM teaming up with Madman in Australia.)

Black Lagoon Seasons 1 & 2 (one DVD set, two Blu-ray sets) - I'm glad that MVM is dipping their toes in the BD releasing pool (I've preordered Broken Blade on BD because I want it and I figured it would give them positive encouragement), so long as this isn't an upscale I want it, but I hope that the titles MVM is considering for Blu-ray are ones that were originally in HD (Ergo Proxy, for instance), rather than just upscaling some popular SD titles (though if they are going to release upscales my suggestions would be Samurai Champloo, FLCL and Seirei no Moribito -especially if they can do a better job than Media Blasters did-, as those have high production values.) I guess I'm just hoping they don't release, say, Fruits Basket on BD over other titles with more lavish visuals, I'm not knocking the show (I'm currently reading the manga and very much enjoying it), and I know it's a popular title, but there's really no point in releasing it in HD until and unless BD becomes the standard for anime releases in the u.k., as far as I can see. I'd love to see MVM license Ghost Hound and release that on Blu-ray as the u.s. BD is region locked (Sentai's generally are).

Squid Girl (the complete Season 1 collection), Planzet. - The former is a maybe leaning slightly towards yes (unless I decide to import the u.s. BD instead) and the latter is a not-completely-ruled-out-but-probably-not.

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt - I wouldn't mind giving this a second chance, but I don't know if I'll ever get around to it, so much other stuff I want to watch (not to mention that I have other things to do).

Strike Witches 2 - Not sure.
Spice & Wolf II - Really looking forward to this.
Clannad After Story - Will probably import the u.s. BD if I decide to get this show at all, I was impressed with the visuals of the first episode and I did enjoy Air, but it felt a little too melodramatic and depressing for my tastes.

Berserk Golden Age Arc I: Egg of the Supreme Ruler (Berserk Ōgon Jidai-Hen I: Haō no Tamago) - Interested, though I might decide to just read the manga. Nice to see Blu-ray for this.

Quote:
Puella Magica Madoka Magica will be released as a three-disc “Complete Series” set in mid-October. A Blu-ray edition is “very likely.”

Gosh I hope we get BD (it would probably be much cheaper than importing from the u.s.), and I hope it gets passed uncut too.

Bodacious Space Pirates - Hopefully this is one of the titles MVM is considering for Blu-ray, I really want to see this (I know it's streaming on Crunchyroll, but that site's videos load really slowly on my computer).

Rozen Maiden: Ouvertüre - Considering how much I enjoyed the first season, I really should probably at least give the second and this a try.

Quote:
MVM also tweeted that, “All titles coming out this year will be available for pre order on our site tomorrow.”

Good to hear.

Quote:
Licenses for the anime in the Gundam franchise stay with Bandai; all other former Beez licenses have been released back to the former licensors.

I really hope we get Turn A Gundam at some point.

Last edited by UtenaAnthy on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Takuku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:10 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:

Quote:
Puella Magica Madoka Magica will be released as a three-disc “Complete Series” set in mid-October. A Blu-ray edition is “very likely.”

Gosh I hope we get BD (it would probably be much cheaper than importing from the u.s.), and I hope it gets passed uncut too.

Manga confirmed the Blu-ray should be happening.
https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/207846975113138176
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1