• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote
shazotaku wrote:
5.MS Igloo
Its not really anime,

Depends on your definition of anime. Personally, I'd count it, simply because it's still animation produced in Japan, 2D & watery eyes or no.

shazotaku wrote:
6.Rahxephon
Real nice anime...its kinda similar to EVA and better than it in most ways but it just doesn't make the cut due to its action sequences which are extremely short...
7.Akira 8.Venus Wars
These are the two anime which got me into anime.....really memorable...the bood old days

10.Eureka Seven
Didn't see the whole anime yet but first impressions are good so it makes in my top 10.

So...what did you like about them? You've left that out.

shazotaku wrote:
9.Rave
Like it just because its funny and has some great action.

Care to be a little more specific? A lot of your responses are stock answers ("good characters," "good action," etc.), but there's gotta be more to it than that. Not asking for much, just five or six lines would suffice.

shazotaku wrote:
1.Naruto
I hate it!!!! From crappy drawing style to its overblown story!! I hate it!!!

So we get that you don't like the artwork and story. Care, again, to go into specifics? Also, watch the grammar; we tend to be a bit mindful of that around here, including excess exclamation points.

shazotaku wrote:
2.Dragon Ball (all)
I hate it!!!! Hate it just because it exists!!
3.Shadow Skills
no comment....if I say anything more you will have to censor me....
4.Pokemon 5.Digimon
<beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep>
<beeeeep> <beeep> <beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep>!!!!!???

Invalid responses. Providing legitimate reasons for liking and disliking something isn't optional, and resorting to the "it just gets me so mad thinking about it" excuse doesn't work, sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
pop-will-eat-itself

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote
My current favorites are:

1. Magic Boy: since the only titles from the 60's I saw before this were speed racer and gigantor, my first impression was "This can't be from the 60's! The animation's beutiful and the dub lipsync's dead on!" what really impressed me was the final battle between the title character and the witch.

2. Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis: love the retro character designs and the soundtrack, great animation, and the "I can't stop loving you" sequence has to be my favorite anime moment.

3.Castle of Cagliostro: My favorite Miyazaki film! Love the opening and the wedding at the end in particular for their use of humor.

4.Angelic Layer:This anime really outshone clamp's manga in a lot of ways including giving almost all the rivals a background story, coming up with a better explaination for misaki's mom's absence and ichan's involvement, and changing some of the romantic aspects. Also, great color schemes.

5.YuYu Hakusho: I thought this series was great just from the first 5 episodes, so it just surprised me how it managed to top itself each story arc, not a a very easy feat.

Bottom 5:

1.YuYu Hakusho 2nd movie: the first half started off pretty well, but then it got so dull that I didn't even notice how it ended.

2.Rave Master dub:it's not the voices that annoyed me, but all the awful jokes and snappy answers added to every line. It's pretty insulting when you enjoy the manga. Speaking of which...

3. One Piece dub: Terrible voices, cutting out episodes, nondramatic backgorund music, but what takes the cake is when they quickly change scenes during a death or serious injury, leaving you wondering "what just happened?".

4.American Milk Chan: Not because of the new american references(why didn't they just use pop-up notes?), but the live action fooage where the voice cast try for a raunchy take on "The Office". That just makes me want to keep my distance from those people if I ever see them at a con.

5.Maze OVA:As funny as the quiz show parody was, it all boils down to this: Rape isn't funny.
Niea_07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Uhm..
First of all i want to say that I'm greatful to be in this site and I'm lucky to see many people who are in to, anime as much as I am..

i think I have more than top 10 favorite anime!and I know I don't have no least favorite anime.Because every anime has agreat story that we all can relate to.,even if that anime is fantasy or an ordinary story we can relate to it if we understand it more deeply.So every anime I watch I love them..Because of the stories that are very moving.

Feel free to give an point if view or something!!!!!!
Sorry if my english is not very smooth.
My apologies..
Irukichan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:55 am Reply with quote
Favorite anime:

5. Fruits Basket - Liked the manga better, but the anime was great, too. There were some parts that dragged, but for the most part, it was a very sweet and moving story about a young girl who tries her hardest to help those around her without becoming a burden herself. I loved watching the interreaction between each of the different Sohmas and Tohru as the series progressed, and the relationships between the Sohmas themselves are pretty interesting. It left one of those warm, fuzzy feelings inside and that's something rare and treasured for me with all the depression usually present in anime. ^^

4. Naruto - I love the story part of this series (not the fillers). Sasuke and Naruto's relationship makes me very sad, and I enjoyed watching their feelings progress throughout the series. I find most of the music in Naruto used very well, and the background music has a very distinct, interesting sound to it. Naruto's conviction is always very inspiring in the series, and I can think of a few times I cried, too. spoiler[ When Haku died, I bawled for so long. And again when Zabuza touched his cheek at the very end. The funeral of the Third also made me cry a little. ]

The Haku/Zabuza ark was my favorite. Best animation, best story line, and most awesome fighting sequences ever in the series. Plus the character development was really great.

3. Gravitation - I *love* this series. I've only seen the subs of it, but I adore all the voice actors in it and am completely obsessed with the music. The story line is cute on the surface, but there's a lot of serious things that happen as well. I enjoy watching Shuichi slowly worm his way into Yuki's heart and still giggle at the fluffy romantic scenes when I watch them.

The fact that Ryuichi is a pop idol legend and can't understand Japanese very well is one of my biggest sources of entertainment in the show. This anime sucessfully blends a variety of genres--angst,humor (an odd sense of humor, at that), and romance-- one of the best combinations that I've seen.

2. Cowboy Bebop - It's the first "serious" anime I watched. The multitude of personalities that are thrown together into a (disfunctional) crew is just so entertaining. I was always really excited and in-tune with what was happening, and couldn't wait to get the next dvd. The music is done by Yoko Kanno, too, so it's absolutely amazing as well. The whole series I had a definite resentment for Julia going on, but I eventually felt more than a little pity and sympathy for her at the end. This is one of those series no anime fan should not see.

1. Fullmetal Alchemist - I watched the dub for a few episodes and then quit. It was alright, but I wasn't that interested. A few weeks later, I picked up the sub, and I fell in love with it. An enthralling and deep characters make it very entertaining to watch. The relationships of the characters are the most interesting thing to watch in the series as they evolve and more is uncovered about each person's motives and life. Roy and Ed made me very depressed in this series, though, and I still cry every time I watch certain episodes. ^^spoiler[OMG... What's with the ending? and Nina? and Hughes? Especially Hughes! x_x]

The music was great, too. I really enjoyed the first soundtrack, the only one that I own, and the other soundtracks I'm looking forward to buying. All of the music is used very well in this series. Especially "Bratja" and its variants.

Dislike:

Inu Yasha - I just never got into the characters that much. Even when the series was new, I didn't care for it. I certainly don't hate it, though. I'll watch it if I'm bored and have nothing better to do, but that's about it for me. The music is pretty good. I really didn't find Naraku that interesting of a villain, and the characters (Kagome, in particular) get on my nerves sometimes with their repetitive, unchanging personalities.

The fighting isn't all that exciting either... It's usually pretty predictable. I can say that the one thing that I have found pretty interesting in the story is Sesshomaru allowing Rin to hang around him.

Aria - Erg. Well, there's not a lot to say about this for a very obvious and simple reason--there's not a whole lot to the series. It's about boats, and driving them around, and... It's pretty boring. The manga was alright because I liked the pretty artwork, and the anime still has excellent artwork, it's just not a very exciting on-the-edge story. Again, I don't hate it, but it's just rather tedious to watch.

Bobobobo Bo-Bobo - Alright, moving on to the ones I really do hate. This anime is pointless. I mean... the guy has some sort of mutant nose hair. I confess that I haven't watched this series except for two episodes, but I definitely don't think I'm missing out. The pure lack of sense in this is not that of the good kind (like some Excel Saga and FuriKuri).

Dragonball Z - I liked the Android saga. For a little while at least. I've never been much of a DBZ fan since fighting isn't really my favorite genre anyways. I only watched the dub, and the character development was almost none. Also, the Buu saga was rediculous after a while. I felt physically exhausted from watching the same repititious fighting over and over again. Even worse, there's another series after it. I just thing that the whole series drug on far too long and never really enjoyed it anough to put up with the drag.
DarkMe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote
im in to those cold dark movies\series that has dark characters.im not one to write long novels! so her is my top10 list:

1. Cowboy Bebop!! don't care about people that say that this is one of those series u watch because everyone else watch em... this is anime at its best!!! first time i saw it i was stunned! God.. perfect!

2. Vampire Hunter D; bloodlust. this is one amazing anime movie.. the story, characters and the whole setting. its really cool, best vampire movie out there!

3.Kenshin OVA. i didn't really like the series because i watched this first and it blew my expectations way up.. it is cool and relaxed, not to mention sad!!

4.Rahxephon. why do i prefer this instead of Nge?? dunno saw nge when i was 12, maybe that has something to do with it? anyway this is better drawn and much bolder in formes of love and killing and yeah, this is cooler but nge started it..credits to nge!

5.Berserk. this one is just awesome!! It killed me that there wasnt a season 2. bloody as hell but not 18+ you know. lots of killing with a plot.. a good one. how often does that happen?
a must..

6.Ghost in the shell; season 1: this is one of my favorite storie animes! each episode contains something new.. something you wouldnt have expected! I was sencirely exited to watch each episode.. you know how it is when your tired form work\school and you come home put on some anime, you may watch like 4 episodes then do something else!! but not with this one, you just cant leave it alone!

7.Black jack:the movie. this movie amuze me. the doctor with the hands of god.he's casually calm figure, the setting, its a great movie. its old though so no stress serching the net!!

8.texhnolyze. hell of a wierd serie. i liked it though! its groundbreaking! dont know what to say; if you like really weird futuristic top knotch series this is a start!!

9.RoD;OVA. i saw this before the series and it really gave me a coozy feeling! dunno why! its not that dark, more of a happy serie, but than again not! cool characters and great imaginatory storyline!!

10. its difficult to choose a top10 like that! why because taste changes over time, and i am a changing person so next year this may be totally wrong.. this is why il let the 10 stand free. i dont want to read the story for an anime when i see a post like this. i want to see many different new animes that i can dl or buy! so if you like one or more of the ones above you will alm ost sertainly enjoy the rest!! if you dont sue me. Cool

top5 worst: that changes everyday but theese are really bad(my opinion)

1.Kiddy grade. whoa that serie sucked ass!!!!!!!!!!!!

2.Tekken. everybody hates tekken!! thats just the way it is.
)if you want cool fighing watch street fighter the animated movie!)

3.Robotech. sorry people but its to ASS. i like lupin the third.. and thats from the 70s.. i didn't grow up with it thats my only excuse!!!!!!

4.Gungrave. i have to say that when i played the game i had great plans for the serie. guess it didn't turn out that way. it looked like they hadnt taken their time drawing it! story is okay, guess it was the disappointment that drags it down!

5.bottom 5 will also be left out! my list is always changing along with everything else in the univers!
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
DarkMe wrote:
1. Cowboy Bebop!! don't care about people that say that this is one of those series u watch because everyone else watch em... this is anime at its best!!! first time i saw it i was stunned! God.. perfect!

So what, in your opinion, made it "perfect?" You still haven't said anything about why you liked it.

DarkMe wrote:
3.Kenshin OVA. i didn't really like the series because i watched this first and it blew my expectations way up.. it is cool and relaxed, not to mention sad!!

Again, the issue of why you liked it is not addressed.

DarkMe wrote:
8.texhnolyze. hell of a wierd serie. i liked it though! its groundbreaking! don't know what to say; if you like really weird futuristic top knotch series this is a start!!

If you don't know what to say, you could start by explaining what you thought made it "groundbreaking."

DarkMe wrote:
1.Kiddy grade. whoa that serie sucked ass!!!!!!!!!!!!

2.Tekken. everybody hates tekken!! thats just the way it is.
)if you want cool fighing watch street fighter the animated movie!)

3.Robotech. sorry people but its to ASS. i like lupin the third.. and thats from the 70s.. i didn't grow up with it thats my only excuse!!!!!!

These are all completely unacceptable. Once again you aren't explaining your reasons for placing them here.

Your entry for Ghost in the Shell was more in line with what we're wanting, so I don't see any reason for not giving the other fourteen spots similar treatment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lagatcy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:15 am Reply with quote
Top 10 List:

1.) Berserk - The best anime In my perspective, Because The characters are great the story is great and The Action and violence in The Anime are great also. But Sadly It goes on to the manga. Im hoping they make a second and third Season finishing off from where the manga left off.

2.) Baki The Grappler - Again cool characters, nice story and the action and violence is Pretty cool. I think they really Outdone themselves On the fighting And action in the anime.

3.) Sadamitsu The Destroyer - Cool action and cool main character, Plus alot of the cast from berserk was in this anime so I checked it out. I love this anime mainly Because they made it only 10 episodes with great plot and story. They Also Had some Pretty Funny Bloopers.

4.) GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) - This Is a great funny, and action anime. I cant help it I like action in animes. anyways The Characters are Extremley well done as in Background stories. They also Have some Hilarious Moments. Some serious at times. But this anime Is really good if your looking for a few lauhgs and some action involving a Non-smart teacher and a class of pure adolesents.

5.) X (The Series) - I haven't seen the Movie Only the sereis. But Anyways another action packed anime, this one is quite a anime great story awsome Plots the characters are put into. and the anime is really great. Serious parts I guess some Funny parts but mostly Action and Drama.

6.) Tsukihime - At First i thought this was going to be a action/drama/comedy anime, Because I played the online game, Melty Blood React. This anime was very serious full of suspense, action, drama, romance. This is a great anime because first of all not alot of e[isodes so it doesnt drag on the story.

7.) G Gundam - Probably One of the only Gundam animes I really got into. I dont know why but I like the Whole story and and the characters. Very nice Plot and awsome Situations, most like every gundam there is mechanics fighting. but this anime Blew my mind.

8.) Outlaw Star - Reminds Me of Cowboy Bebop kinda, but ultimatley this anime was alot better. I liked the characters and the whole story line. the main character made me laugh alittle so thats always a plus. But this anime is also cool because it takes up in space with space ship battles and gun battles. very nice combination.

9.) Gunparade March - Another Mech Anime, I dont enjot mechs much but I had to get this after the trailer I saw. The characters remind you of the characters from Evangelion. anyways the action is pretty cool here some funny parts and serious at times also.

10.) Peacemaker Kurogan - Great action and very vioelnt, which i like. this anime is a combination of drama/action/comedy. I love thos combinations, but the character is a 15yr old Kid which annoys me. but the anime is pretty cool nice fighting cool and decnet story line. one of the better samurai animes I have seen.
-----------------------------------

5 Worst animes:

1.) Yu-Gi-Oh GX - I mean the First one was pretty bad but they really messed up on this one. The characters anme is really bad and the character development is extremely bad also. Im not saying i dont like this anime because I think little kids should watch it, Im saying its bad because the story is weak the characters are weak and I dont enjoy much card animes.

2.) Dual Monsters - This is another fall for card game animes. they always talked about what the "producer" does during the anime, and they think its funny, which of course it isnt, anyways the characters are poorly done and the story is very confusing. first he tries to be the best at cards I guess, then he tries to beat up a cloak guy. it went from bad to worse from the first season to the second season

3.) Mirage Of Blaze - I didn't like the story or characters at all. They were throwing random people into the anime without any descriptions on who they are, or where they came from. they also Had some bad action also. too much emotionalness in the anime. A big fall in my perspective. They also had a very weird ending also - spoiler[the two main characters are lovers, and there both guys.]

4.) .Hack Legends - Wow such a bad and tastless wtory, and very bad character descriptions. I hated it they dragged this anime on and on... so i didn't enjoy it. They need to work on The story More Thats the main downfault in the anime. they did too many usless battles for No reason.

5.) Gundam seed - This anime i didn't like because the story i didn't even understand, bad plots, bad characters. They kepts switching from one person to another which confused me alot. They need to add more action also in my perspective.
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
Irukichan wrote:
I really didn't find Naraku that interesting of a villain, and the characters (Kagome, in particular) get on my nerves sometimes with their repetitive, unchanging personalities.

The fighting isn't all that exciting either... It's usually pretty predictable. I can say that the one thing that I have found pretty interesting in the story is Sesshomaru allowing Rin to hang around him.

Try saying that on the AS forums, depending on what whether or not there is a full moon, and they will eat you alive.
DeathScythe808

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Ok, here are my top ten

1. Last Exile: In my opinion, this is the fines series released in the US thus far. The music and sound effects were fantasctic. Also, the blending of the CG with conventional anime styles was almost seemless. The story was a little slow in parts, but it alwasy made sure to leave just enough mystery to keep you coming back for the next episode.

2. Macross Plus: Once again, the art work and music was fantastic. While it was hard to place in the world with the rest of the macross series (ie Macross II, Robotech, ect.), the characters were able to draw you into the story without needing to know what happened in the previous series.

3. Gundam Wing: This is a little bit older, but still very good. Though the fighting may be repititious and the characters may flip flop sides suddenly, the power of this show is in its message. all of the ideas that Zeks and Tres Cushrinada (firgive the spelling) put forth are beautiful. If only current world leaders thought like they did, war might stop as it did in the show. Also, unlike Gundam Seed, all the main characters survive till the end of the show and appear in later movies.

4. Golden Boy: This is wonderful on a whole different level. The story line is vary simple and easy to pick up on. The artwork changes drastically dependiong on the mood of the characters. The main character is a huge pervert. But it somehow manages to be the funniest thing i have ever scene.

5. Bastard!!: Once again, very, very funny. Dark Schnider is the most charasmatic and seld-confident person alive, and has the power to back it up. His zany adventures with the high priest daughter are amazing. It is a show that is vary hard to discribe and must be experianced inorder to understand it.

6. Full Metal Panic!!: This show has a perfect blend of action and comedy, going from the high tech battlefield of mechas and submarines, to the even more dificult battlefield of high school. The art work is fairly well done and the music lends a good atmosphere to the show.

7. Escaflowne: This show has it all. An older show mixing giant mecha with sword fights, dragons, and a mistical world where earth hangs in the sky. The ending is somewhat of a cop-out, but on the whole it leaves you feeling satisfied. The soundtrack is also excelent.

8. The Twelve Kingdoms: This is the most unique anime that i has found. The ten disc series starts off fairly slow, feeling more like a book then a tv show, but quickly picks up the pace. Mystical creatures, strange gods, great swordplay, and epic battles will keep you captivated throughout this long show.

9. Vandred: A very interesting world where men and women live on separate planets and are at constant war with one another. The story is fast paced, action packed, and full of comedy. Worth watching.

10. RaXephon: For those of you who found Eva a little too confusing and the main character a little too pansy, this it the show for you. Made by the same people, it has a similar feal to it, while remaining easy to understand. Also, unlike Eva, this story has a definate ending. It leaves very little open to imagination. The mecha design was unique and the fighting was well done. The artwork was very vivid and well done.

The Dislikes

1. Lain: This show was almost imposible to sit through. The story was bouring and had nothing in the way of action. Also, untill the last few episodes, the show didn't seem to have and story to it. Just a girl becoming a computer nut. not cool.

2. Yu-Gi-Oh: Maybe if i was ten years old, but no. Simple, uninteresting story. Art work was ok, but nothing to write home about.

3. Gun Parade March: I made the mistake of reading the manga first. This ruind the show. The roles of several MAJOR characters were changed and some characters were compleatly removed from the show. The mechas were cool, but thats about it.

4. Wild Arms: The voice acting in this show was terrible in english AND japaneese. This made the already dry story unbarable. It goves you nothing in the way of information into the world the show takes place in and even less about the characters. avoid at all cost.

5. Ther is no 5. out of the fifty-some-odd shows i have scene, not many of them actually deserved to be put on the list to avoid. i hope my modist opions will help stere some new otaku in the right direction. Thanks for listening to me, and remember,
LOVE & PEACE!!!!
F.A.I.T.H

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Here's my opinion, however bad it is...

1.) Gundam Seed: This is a definite must-watch for fans of mecha anime. The show deals with the issues on gene manipulation and cloning, including the possible traumas one such person would experience. The storyline was great, starting off with two friends on opposing sides and eventually joining together. The romance part was quite alright, though the ending was a bit rushed. There was a excellent amount of angst from Kira Yamato as well as Athrun Zala, the two friends, as well as drama from the death of Nicol. Overall, a great anime for Gundam series fans, old and new alike.

2.) Cardcaptor Sakura: Of course, some might say it was just my personal opinion, but despite the slow pace of some episodes, the anime is great for those who want to watch happy-go-lucky 'mahou shoujo' or magical girl animes. This one's a blast, made my CLAMP and the anime to bring me to its world...as well as this forum. Good mix of humor, heart-warming scenes, action and romance, especially in its 2nd movie. It's a pity to miss out on this one.

3.) Full Metal Panic!: This one's a complete riot. Another mecha anime, also for teenage guys due to its decent amounts of fanservice from Kaname Chidori and the mechas, which look decently different from the normal mechas seen in other animes. Angst, humor, hints of romance as well as a whole load of action in store for those who watch this one. It seemed natural for the characters to carry off that humor in the show, and each action scene or cliffhanger makes viewers want to beg for more. Go watch and figure. Smile

4.) Yakitate! Japan: Although this series hasn't finished, I think it's an interesting one. Despite the unrealistic effects a piece of wonderfully made bread can have on people (Make them go to heaven or something Razz), the humor from it's puns make up for that. It's an anime which makes one feel that 'since it's so ridiculous, let me laugh along with it as well instead of criticising it.' Furthermore, it is rather informative, so the producers and mangaka must have a heck of a job getting all that information about nutrients in various ingredients. Not for people who want romance though, but the humor from its characters is so absurd and great that you want to laugh anyway. Razz

5.) Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid: The long awaited sequel of the first series (aside from Fumoffu), it's rated R-15. There's much more gore and blood, so if that sickens you, don't watch. The story does get more interesting here, as there is less episodes to develop more humor about (though it's still present as always Razz). There's definitely more action, and much more character development of Sagara Sousuke, something which I like very much. Hidden twists and turns in the anime also got me rooting for the anime too. Definitely for old FMP fans, as well as new ones as well. Even the ending makes me wish that there was a sequel after this one...

6.) Fruits Basket: Another heart-warming anime about people in who are actually Zodiac creatures in disguise, and a girl who lives with and knows more about them. It's all about relationships and warmth, though there is angst as well. This obviously fits the bill for supernatural, though the humor prevailing from Honda Tohru with the Zodiac creatures she lives with can be funny as well. A well-rounded anime, though action-lovers might not like the somewhat slow pace of it.

7.) Gundam Wing: The second series which revved my engine to watch more anime. Action, and the same old philosophy on war, only much more detailed. In fact, even the issues on politics can be seen in this series. For those who don't understand it, it might be a bore, but the action and the originality of the Gundams more than make up for it. The fight scenes were exciting as well, and it also offers some insight about the greatest desire of people like Mother Theresa-Eternal peace. Great anime.

8.) Rurouni Kenshin: Sad to say, I've never finished the series, but what I've watched so far only made me regret not being able to finish watching the series as well as the OVAs. The animation was well done, as was the story. Not too original, since it's what people would think: a typical assassin/samurai anime, but this one's got loads of drama, humor and action. Gets philosophical at times as well, something which I think is insightful and worth watching. Hope I can finish it this time...*sigh*

Here are two animes I find promising, but I just decide to add them here anyway...

9.) Black Cat: An adaptation from the manga, yet so different you felt as though it was another story altogether. The animation's quite good so far, and the beginning was great. Up to episode 6, I see little fault for the series, aside from those who read the manga, who might say it was rushed. At least it starts explaining more about the main character (Train Heartnet)'s past a little and he is shrouded in mystery, just like Kenshin Himura at the start. Hopefully as the series progress, it gets more and more interesting in terms of humor, action (lots of it in the first few episodes) and character development.

10.) Shakugan no Shana: A relatively new series as well, just like Black Cat. Adapted from a manga-novel, the concept of the anime itself had me hooked already. It questions the existence of our real beings, an idea both frightening and intriguing. Although the first episode would seem confusing to those who know little about philosophy, it was an unconventional start. The characters are excellently drawn, and the action is not as overexaggerated as in series like Bleach and Dragonball. The characters themselves are intriguing as well as what one would NOT expect. the main lead(Sakai Yuuji), whom everyone expects to be a wimpy little dude, turns out to be not-so-wimpy after all, throughout the six episodes. The main girl(Shana) here would be what many would call 'cute', and is shrouded in mystery as well. Although there have been a few criticisms for being too rushed, I believed that the anime has a good pace for build-up of climactic scenes and has a good mixture of humor, fanservice, angst, action, fantasy, plot twists( one or two so far) and definitely romance as well. A highly recommended anime. (I was tempted to put this as a favorite, but since it's still early to decide...oh well...it most definitely should get better. Very Happy)

As for the five worst...

1.) Gundam Seed Destiny: I was utterly disappointed. There was so much hype about this series, and the ending was a terrible let-down, as were the mecha designs, plot, character development...practically everything. Shinn Asuka and Athrun Zala start out as the main characters, but the show is soon stolen by none other than Kira Yamato. The show was so promising at the start, and as soon as our dear ex-main lead appeared, everything starts going downhill. Shinn, who was suppose to be the main lead, gets dumped as a loser who gets angry at everyone for being in his way, and the reasons provided by Kira and co. to attack their enemies were superficial and hypocritical to their beliefs, yet they are lauded as heroes. As far as I'm concerned, all that is only fanserivce for fanboys and girls wanting their favorite characters from Seed back. Too many plotholes, too many meaningless deaths, too many un-original mobile suit designs, too little character development, too many cliche scenes, too many loose ends, too many repetitive scenes, too many flashbacks...The list goes on. I highly disapprove of this series, not that because I hate anyone, but because there's been too much character bashing and it was terribly disappointing. I stopped watching the series near the end, despite a stiff resolution to endure the final few episodes. Terrible indeed. Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

2.) Dragonball Z: Too draggy, and the superhuman powers are too showy as well as repetitive. Hardly any storyline here, except for the basic 'enemy comes, I defeat. Enemy threatens, I fight and save the world with friends.' Over and over again, that's the theme. The part about resurrection of people is also a sorry excuse to let the main character keep destroying things...Do fans really like that? No offense intended, but I find it most boring to see destruction all the way.

3.) Naruto: Just like Dragonball Z. There were also too many flashbacks and the battles were...well, unrealistic as well. Who could imagine ninjas, who are supposed to work in stealth, can hold so much destructive power? Good Lord. Rolling Eyes There was some plot at the beginning of the series and maybe in the middle, but after that, it starts going downhill. Reminds me of Gundam Seed Destiny a little, had I not stopped watching this one earlier...

4.) Pokemon series: At first, when I first watched it, I was fascinated. Now, it's just a plain waste of a precious 30 minutes better spent exercising or watching a better anime. The series has dragged on too long, and has lost its attractive shine. I could almost predict when Team Rocket's Jessie and James are going to come out and blast off, just as soon as Pikachu is ordered to attack them. This is really getting repetitive, and despite new characters coming in, its almost the same old story: Ash goes around collecting badges, gets into League, fights and wins. It would be better had there been a different main character instead...Sadly, another disappointment.

5.) Suzuka: Another major disappointment, though the series has not ended. The plot seemed draggy at most times, and Yamato, the main character is reminiscent of the undeciding one in Ichigo 100% manga, Manaka. The animation was surprisingly...stiff at times, and the story...Well, not really much of a story at all. Guy likes girl, girl rejects. Another girl goes out with guy, breaks up, guy likes first girl back blah blah blah...It's a relationhsip anime, with little emphasis on any other genres, maybe a little belated humor at best. A definite no-no for action lovers and people who actually want character development (not that there's none in the series, but very little) and a good plot with twists and turns.

Hope I have not bored anyone with my list...I was just hoping to say what I felt, so...I apologize if I caused an inconvenience with such a long post.... Confused
Shadow Jo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote
i really haven't seen alot of anime to really make a top 10 list so im gonna condence it to like a few(5)

5.inuyasha-its a good anime about the history of Japan and has alot of interesting plot twists and charactors

4.neon Genesis Evangelion- a good sci- fi thriller with many shocking revelations

3.nadesico(Martion successor Nadesico)- A great sci-fi comady series with many interesting charactors reminded me alot of the gundam series.

2. Slayers-an aweesome tale of a over energetic sorseress Lina Inverse and her strange entorage as they fight evil with wits, charm, and overpowered spells..theres plenty of humor here as well.
and my all-time favorite:
1.Burst Angel- an awesome sci-fi meets wild west with strange creatures, overpowered mechs, a group of girls who kick butt, and a slew of mysterious plot twists and many shockers and surprises. the main charactor Jo herself is a mystery..she may not be who she seems..giving the story more plot twists and a shocking mystery to solve.

ok time for the anime's id never watch.

5.dragon ball Gt-same boring plot as dragon ball and no real plot.
4.Dragon Ball-see above..
3.excel saga..What the..?
2.one peice..whats so special about it? sure its got pirates and stuff but..not for me.
and in my opinion the worst ever....
1.pokemon-too many kiddy like plots and annoying little creatures..i hate it and that yellow rat picachu.(whatever his name is) and the enemies are stupid..and the whole concept is stupid..its gone on too long..please take it off the air before i smash my tV Evil or Very Mad
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:17 am Reply with quote
Shadow Jo wrote:
5.inuyasha-its a good anime about the history of Japan and has alot of interesting plot twists and charactors

4.neon Genesis Evangelion- a good sci- fi thriller with many shocking revelations

3.nadesico(Martion successor Nadesico)- A great sci-fi comady series with many interesting charactors reminded me alot of the gundam series.

Could you perhaps go into just a little more detail with these? "I like it because it has good characters/plot" are stock answers that really don't tell us anything about just what made you like the show. They're about as broad as simply saying "I liked it because it's good."

Shadow Jo wrote:
2. Slayers-an aweesome tale of a over energetic sorseress Lina Inverse and her strange entorage as they fight evil with wits, charm, and overpowered spells..theres plenty of humor here as well.

This is more of a plot summary. Again, it doesn't tell us what made you like it.

Shadow Jo wrote:
and my all-time favorite:
1.Burst Angel- an awesome sci-fi meets wild west with strange creatures, overpowered mechs, a group of girls who kick butt, and a slew of mysterious plot twists and many shockers and surprises. the main charactor Jo herself is a mystery..she may not be who she seems..giving the story more plot twists and a shocking mystery to solve.

This is closer to what we're looking for, though again it does veer into plot summary territory, especially at the beginning.

Shadow Jo wrote:
2.one peice..whats so special about it? sure its got pirates and stuff but..not for me.

These are all invalid. You're not even trying to intelligently explain why you disliked them, you're simply reaching for some way to sidestep the issue.

Shadow Jo wrote:
1.pokemon-too many kiddy like plots and annoying little creatures..i hate it and that yellow rat picachu.(whatever his name is) and the enemies are stupid..and the whole concept is stupid..its gone on too long..please take it off the air before i smash my tV Evil or Very Mad

So...any real reasons why you disliked it? And not simply "I don't like it because it's dumb?"
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:35 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Shadow Jo wrote:

These are all invalid. You're not even trying to intelligently explain why you disliked them, you're simply reaching for some way to sidestep the issue.

Shadow Jo wrote:

So...any real reasons why you disliked it? And not simply "I don't like it because it's dumb?"

Well, actually he can't accurately explain why he dislikes them even if he wanted to. As he said:

Shadow Jo wrote:
ok time for the anime's id never watch.

Meaning he's never watched them, so he can't truthfully comment on them.
KimiWaPet2150

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Favorite Anime:

1. Cowboy Bebop
The plot, and chracters alone are enough to be said about this anime. I have the perfect sessions DVD limited ed. box set, and well as the import of the movie, the US release of the movie, and the Bebop remix DVDs that are out thus far. Look in my room, and you'll see Bebop posters, wallscrolls, cards, pinks, pens, keychains, 40+ doujinshi, and more that's all Cowboy Bebop!

2. Hellsing
Same with Cowboy Bebop, simply amazing plot, and the soundtrack is great. I love the jazz, clasic rock feel that just makes you want to jam with your friends as you watch the show. I can't wait to see the OVA. ^__^

3. Full Metal Panic (all)
I love this series as well. I saw the first season when it first came out to the US, and then I saw a fansub of Full Metal Panic FmF, and I loved Full Metal Panic - The Second Raid. Second Raid was the best season to me. I loved the novels, so watching this made me as happy as a clam. It's a great thriler/action/comedy-romance/drama.

4. Bleach
Long running anime/manga, it's a great watch on a rainy day if you have yet to watch it. I love the fact that there's like 30 lead characters in the series, and they all have an impact on the show on top of that. ^^' heh.

5. Beck
A band that wants to be known. And the lead guitarist has a lingering past, that's catching up to him...I personally like the manga's twists and turns better than the anime. The anime fizzled at the end...+_+ FIZZLES ARE BAD! But the soundtrack, animation, and overall plot give this show a must to watch!

6. Paradise Kiss
Loved the manga, love the anime, and I love Franz Ferdinand, and they do the ending theme song! Worth watching just for the ending theme! Smile

7. Hana Yori Dango
I loved the manga, I ADORE the new Japanese TV drama, and have always loved the anime. Check out the new TV drama and this anime folks, it's a romance/drama/comedy that's so worth the watch!

8. Ayashi no Ceres
The anime that got my friends hooked. Anime smile The animation is wonderful, and the storyline got us everytime! We'd get together each tape I got (yes VHS! Anime smile) and all hang out and watch Ceres!

9. Gantz
The most violent, language and content filled anime I've ever watched, but I can't get enough of it! The end of volume 8 killed me! I was screaming at the TV, does he die, or not? The first episode alone had me and my best friend at the edge of our seats. (How many animes can have you screaming for the lead characters??)

10. Fruits Basket
A very nice comedy/romance that gets darker as the manga goes along. I wish there was more to the anime, and everyone's bee waiting for them to announce the second season of the show. ^__^

Least Favorite Anime:

1. Dragon Ball (ANYTHING
Just can't stand it. I outright hate the show, and yes, I've tried to watch it with an open mind...+__+

2. Azumanga Daioh
It's funny yes, but you can only take so much of it.

3. Pokemon
The characters and educational themes irked the heck out of me. The N64 games, I couldn't get enough of, SO MUCH FUN! ^^' heh. It would be much more fun thoug if they made a game where you could be team rocket and finally get that stupid Pikachu(spelling??+_+)

4. Gundam
I like Wing, but otherwise I can't stand the rest of the series. Then there was a movie that I didn't mind, but it still bored me.

5. Yu-Gi-Oh!
Ehh...pokemon for older kids. Yes, I've seen the Japanese, and just from what I've seen, and what I like, I don't like this show.

===

Okay, there's my like/hate list. ^^'

- Rachel
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
KimiWaPet2150 wrote:
1. Cowboy Bebop
The plot, and chracters alone are enough to be said about this anime.

Aside from what about them made you like it. As I just got through saying to the last person who posted here "I like it because it has good characters/plot" is a stock answer that's way too vague to pull anything from. It's about the same as saying "I like it because it's good." We'd like a little more detail, please.

KimiWaPet2150 wrote:
3. Full Metal Panic (all)
I love this series as well. I saw the first season when it first came out to the US, and then I saw a fansub of Full Metal Panic FmF, and I loved Full Metal Panic - The Second Raid. Second Raid was the best season to me. I loved the novels, so watching this made me as happy as a clam. It's a great thriler/action/comedy-romance/drama.

Same as Bebop. This tells us nothing about what actually made this show enjoyable for you.

KimiWaPet2150 wrote:
6. Paradise Kiss
Loved the manga, love the anime, and I love Franz Ferdinand, and they do the ending theme song! Worth watching just for the ending theme! Smile

7. Hana Yori Dango
I loved the manga, I ADORE the new Japanese TV drama, and have always loved the anime. Check out the new TV drama and this anime folks, it's a romance/drama/comedy that's so worth the watch!

8. Ayashi no Ceres
The anime that got my friends hooked. Anime smile The animation is wonderful, and the storyline got us everytime! We'd get together each tape I got (yes VHS! Anime smile) and all hang out and watch Ceres!

10. Fruits Basket
A very nice comedy/romance that gets darker as the manga goes along. I wish there was more to the anime, and everyone's bee waiting for them to announce the second season of the show. ^__^

More vague and/or stock answers. Please, we're asking WHY you like them. Nothing more than 3-5 sentences, but at least some manner of relevant detail within those few sentences.

KimiWaPet2150 wrote:
1. Dragon Ball (ANYTHING
Just can't stand it. I outright hate the show, and yes, I've tried to watch it with an open mind...+__+

2. Azumanga Daioh
It's funny yes, but you can only take so much of it.

4. Gundam
I like Wing, but otherwise I can't stand the rest of the series. Then there was a movie that I didn't mind, but it still bored me.

5. Yu-Gi-Oh!
Ehh...pokemon for older kids. Yes, I've seen the Japanese, and just from what I've seen, and what I like, I don't like this show.

Completely invalid. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean you can't properly explain the reasons behind it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 122