• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: D.C.III ~Da Capo III~ Visual Novel Gets TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
Sweet! Totally called this when the game was announced! I can't wait! I LOVE YOU CIRCUS!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
finally got around to finishing SS and the rest so I guess I'll be ready for this come 2013
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
huh...well I guess I will see where it heads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote
Were the first 2 any good? I've heard about this series quite a bit but never watched or read them.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Were the first 2 any good? I've heard about this series quite a bit but never watched or read them.

In this day and age, you can probably call them average. Back when they aired, yes they were good. D.C. II is a little slower than D.C. and D.C.SS as things really don't get moving until D.C. II SS.

If I had to say in terms of ranking it'd be something like this:
D.C. If > D.C. SS = D.C. > D.C. II SS > D.C. II

Then again, I am a Kotori fan more than anything else.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

This is actually the 4th, there were three previous TV series.

Da Capo (2 cour)
Da Capo: Second Season (2 cour)
D.C. II (1 cour)

I barely remember the first one. The main thing I remember was that it could get really weird at times. It was probably a decent if not particularly outstanding show for its time, but it probably hasn't aged well (other than the weird parts).

I never saw D.C.S.S.

D.C. II bored me out of my mind and I never finished it.

Edit: Oh, apparently there was a D.C. II SS as well, and that was also a TV series. I knew there were some OVA episodes, but I completely forgot about the second TV series.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

This is actually the 4th, there were three previous TV series.

Da Capo (2 cour)
D.C. II (1 cour)

I barely remember the first one. The main thing I remember was that it could get really weird at times. It was probably a decent if not particularly outstanding show for its time, but it probably hasn't aged well (other than the weird parts).

I never saw D.C.S.S.

D.C. II bored me out of my mind and I never finished it.

Wrong. There were 4 TV series. This is the 5th TV series and the 9th Da Capo related adaptation:
Da Capo (2 cour)
D.C. II (1 cour)
D.C. II SS (1 cour)
D.C. If (2 episode OVA)
D.C. T.P. Sakura (2 episode OVA)
D.C. I and II Re-animated (1 episode OVA)
Suika (4 episode Hentai OVA)

Last edited by Kit-Tsukasa on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
Hey, a new Da Capo! I'm a fan of the franchise, so maybe I'll actually watch some anime for a change as it comes out in Japan.

RyanSaotome wrote:

If I recall:

Da Capo: Generally well-received.
Da Capo Second Season: not too well-received due to a new character and shift of focus on a certain girl.
Da Capo II: Generally not well-received due to the anime focusing on two of the lesser (least?) popular characters.
Da Capo II Second Season: Well received, since they focused on the more popular characters this time around.

Feel free to correct me otherwise, folks.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

The original was really awesome, but kind of trippy, and doesn't really seem like much from the first three episodes or so. The key to appreciating the story is knowing that the reason why everything is so fluffy and surreal in the first half of the show; spoiler[the entire island is under a magic spell].

To my knowledge, the original game was what created the imouto boom, and the Nemu arc is still one of the best portrayals of brother-sister relationships in anime & games today. The game is actually available in English from the company Mangagamer. This will be the seventh anime incarnation of the franchise:

Da Capo
Da Capo Second Season
Da Capo II
Da Capo II Second Season
Da Capo IF
Time Paladin Sakura

Da Capo follows the original visual novel, while Da Capo Second Season to my knowledge is original material still using the first season's cast but was as heart-wrenching as any Key anime adaptation.

Da Capo II and its second season is actually a second generation on the same island, with some of its characters descended from characters in the first game/anime.

Da Capo IF is an OVA series that animates an ending for the first game using a different girl's route (Kotori instead of Nemu. Blah.)

Time Paladin Sakura is a maho shojo parody OVA staring Sakura from the first series.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Wow, first I've heard of this. How hard is this to obtain? I'm kind of a hardcore Da Capo fan. (was that a pun? I suppose it was.)

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, Suika is an unrelated Circus Eroge.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Wow, first I've heard of this. How hard is this to obtain? I'm kind of a hardcore Da Capo fan. (was that a pun? I suppose it was.)

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, Suika is an unrelated Circus Eroge.

Re-Animated OVA came out as a BD with the Platinum Edition of the D.C. I and II PSP port in 2010. It's basically a single episode OVA animating 4 confession scene of the two games' main heroines: Nemu, Kotori, Yume, and Otome. I actually own the BD but if you're looking for a subtitled version, you can find a few of it flying around. Shouldn't be too hard to obtain.

As for Suika, it is published by CIRCUS and developed by CIRCUS Northern, which is the same division that developed all the Da Capo games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suika_%28visual_novel%29

I can't remember the exact relation between Da Capo and Suika but it had something to do with Kotori being related to Sayaka in some way. I believe there was also some relation to the T.P. Sakura OVA
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
So instead of loli Sakura we get a big boobed Sakura?
This reflects the changes that happened in anime industry since the last Da Capo so perfectly.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:
This reflects the changes that happened in anime industry since the last Da Capo so perfectly.

Because big boobs are a new development in anime, and they would never consider making anything like Kodomo no Jikan in this day and age?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
so fast. the game just came out couple months ago.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:

Blonde /= Sakura.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2