• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hiroshima Asked to Stop Using Barefoot Gen Manga in Schools

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I hope those wannabe a-holes get shamed soon enough. Nakazawa and his posse have been activists for decades now, and someone tries to cut in on their turf and tell them how to run their campaign. Who cares if the message of the manga was correct, and it was based on the personal history of the author, because it's all too "political"?! Well, screw you! Unless you or your friends/relatives suffered from the fall-out at Hiroshima or Fukushima, you got no business dictating what they can or can't say. Effing upstarts.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The petitioning group describes itself on its website as a new group, separate from the existing survivors' groups, that is starting "a movement towards building a true peace." The group posted a May 7 statement warning of the elevated risks that Japan faces from neighboring countries, and claims that "the 'Hiroshima Peace' movement and 'peace regime' that only advocate 'nuclear disarmament'" have done little to deter the "illegal acts" of other countries.

So it's an ultra-nationalist group that wants Japan to pursue the bomb?
Gamen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Quote:
The petitioning group describes itself on its website as a new group, separate from the existing survivors' groups, that is starting "a movement towards building a true peace." The group posted a May 7 statement warning of the elevated risks that Japan faces from neighboring countries, and claims that "the 'Hiroshima Peace' movement and 'peace regime' that only advocate 'nuclear disarmament'" have done little to deter the "illegal acts" of other countries.

So it's an ultra-nationalist group that wants Japan to pursue the bomb?

They definitely included all the right code words in their description of themselves to indicate that.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
This makes me so angry I don't even know what to say.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Whoever these people are, they seem pretty loathsome. I can't even parse the reasoning behind what they seem to want. I can't think of any way in which any ongoing conflict would be solved by the paranoia and aggression of a multilateral revival of the nuclear arms race unless you happen to think that blasting whoever's bothering you into ash and rubble is just too convenient to pass up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jarm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
If the manga is so "one-sided" then it would make sense to tell the other sides of the story to counter it.

Though whatever the other sides of the story are, chances are it would be just be pure propaganda.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A group called "Atomic Bomb Survivors Seeking Peace and Security" petitioned the Hiroshima Board of Education on Friday to stop using Keiji Nakazawa's Barefoot Gen (Hadashi no Gen) manga in the city's peace studies program. The manga is Nakazawa's semi-autobiographical account of life during and after the 1945 Hiroshima bombing, based on his own real-life childhood experiences.

The group's petition asserted that the manga offers a "one-sided portrayal" and added that it is "important to choose materials that are neutral politically and ideologically" for the peace studies. The board said it accepted the petition from the group as "one point of view."

Define semi-autobiography.

Last time I checked, it was about how an individual described their own real-life experiences about an event or series of events which occurred during their own lifetime. Then, they place their experiences into a story so that those who may/ may not have lived during the time can have an actual, humane view of what had happened.
Of course, it's a "one-sided" view; it's his viewpoint!

That's like if some American state Board of Education trying to erase 'certain parts' of U.S. history because it's 'too negatively worded' or 'too biased about a certain political group." Rolling Eyes
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I think that pulling this out of children's hands is a form of censorship. I believe I read a few volumes around the age of ten or eleven, and it changed my life and perspective on things. Every child should read it, in my opinion.

Last edited by Apollo-kun on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm seething with anger at this right now. As an American, deeply ashamed of what we did to Japan in WWII even though it occurred 5 or 6 decades before I was born, I felt that "Barefoot Gen" was a fair manga politically speaking. The reason I say that is that our government and military at that time were deeply flawed, only getting involved in the war because there was profit to be gained from it, and causing more bad than good. This manga is immensely effective when it comes to warning children against making rash actions, and how the most deceptively simple solutions can actually be the ones that do more harm than the harder ones. It's a snapshot of an era when America was still an arrogant, self-centered nation of capitalist hounds with no regard for human life outside of its home turf.

You best be careful when generalizing in this fashion, especially when there is little but a few editorializing authors that actually support all the rash assumptions you are making here. This isn't a political forum, and this is no place for this kind of editorializing and trivialization of everything that was done and accomplished during that era in spite of all the bad. If you're going to use this forum as a soapbox to spit out one-sided propagandist revisionist editorials, especially those that are baseless and offer nothing in support, then I'm going to stop you right there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
I'm seething with anger at this right now. As an American, deeply ashamed of what we did to Japan in WWII even though it occurred 5 or 6 decades before I was born, I felt that "Barefoot Gen" was a fair manga politically speaking. The reason I say that is that our government and military at that time were deeply flawed, only getting involved in the war because there was profit to be gained from it, and causing more bad than good

Wait, what?

This doesn't make any sense. While certainly no side of any war is full of angels, I'm 100% certain that Japan attacked first.

So did you mistype or what?
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Quote:
I'm seething with anger at this right now. As an American, deeply ashamed of what we did to Japan in WWII even though it occurred 5 or 6 decades before I was born, I felt that "Barefoot Gen" was a fair manga politically speaking. The reason I say that is that our government and military at that time were deeply flawed, only getting involved in the war because there was profit to be gained from it, and causing more bad than good. This manga is immensely effective when it comes to warning children against making rash actions, and how the most deceptively simple solutions can actually be the ones that do more harm than the harder ones. It's a snapshot of an era when America was still an arrogant, self-centered nation of capitalist hounds with no regard for human life outside of its home turf.

You best be careful when generalizing in this fashion, especially when there is little but a few editorializing authors that actually support all the rash assumptions you are making here. This isn't a political forum, and this is no place for this kind of editorializing and trivialization of everything that was done and accomplished during that era in spite of all the bad. If you're going to use this forum as a soapbox to spit out one-sided propagandist revisionist editorials, especially those that are baseless and offer nothing in support, then I'm going to stop you right there.
I'm very sorry for soapboxing; this is one topic that gets me really, really carried away when I discuss it, and I should have kept it more to the point and less biased. As a devout history lover, I get really fired up when discussing this kinda junk. Sorry for violating common courtesy.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
I'm seething with anger at this right now. As an American, deeply ashamed of what we did to Japan in WWII even though it occurred 5 or 6 decades before I was born, I felt that "Barefoot Gen" was a fair manga politically speaking. The reason I say that is that our government and military at that time were deeply flawed, only getting involved in the war because there was profit to be gained from it, and causing more bad than good

Wait, what?

This doesn't make any sense. While certainly no side of any war is full of angels, I'm 100% certain that Japan attacked first.

So did you mistype or what?
I won't get into it, but the war was being waged in other countries before America got involved. Companies over here were making money selling weapons to other countries and keeping our hands clean, because we didn't want to get involved even though our help was needed drastically. But when Japan attacked, we decided to finally step in and do something. I was referring primarily to the overall war, not just the one we were fighting against Japan.

This is not opinion, these are facts that can be verified, by the way. I'm keeping my opinion out of it, since I realized I was coming across as rude and blunt.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but again, be careful. You're not the only fan of history here, and as a fan of history myself your facts are incredibly one-sided so far. Japan was not a saint by a long shot, and remember, they were also developing atomic weaponry. World War 2 was a very complex global conflict, and I can tell you with 150% certainty that there were no innocent entities in this war and, frankly, Japan was a pretty significant offender. It's a dangerous enough line of discussion, but even more so when slanting the information so severely so we'd rather keep this to the article and it's being pulled, not divert it to some political debate about a long finished war where nobody really won and every political entity involved had its demons.

Last edited by Keonyn on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
soratsubsa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
i dont know if the war was good or not but thanks to that war that japan become a great country and a great nation because they bengining making anime and manga to make the people happy but too to make remeber the horrors of the war so i think its very idea that the mang should be teached nd i dont think that there is culprit for the war i think is everyone fault maybe for fighting battle than only its the convenience of politics and governments looking for power
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Yes, but again, be careful. You're not the only fan of history here, and as a fan of history myself your facts are incredibly one-sided so far. Japan was not a saint by a long shot, and remember, they were also developing atomic weaponry. World War 2 was a very complex global conflict, and I can tell you with 150% certainty that there were no innocent entities in this war and, frankly, Japan was a pretty significant offender.
Oh, yeah! I'm sorry if I was coming across as one-sided. I was just kind of pointing out America's wrongdoings first and foremost. Japan was particularly brutal, from my recollection, especially in terms of how they treated POWs and whatnot. By no means was there a definitive "good guy" in WWII, but I was mainly addressing the corporate profiteering that occurred from weapon sales to European countries, and the horrors and lasting effects of the atom bomb.

Looking back at my original post, I definitely should have mentioned how Japan drove us to doing what we did to avoid looking like a one-sided ignoramus like I did. Thank you for calling me out on my biased post; I should have put more thought into the topic before speaking (typing...?)

To me, "Barefoot Gen" is important because it shows the repercussions of both bringing a country to the breaking point that Japan brought America to, and the long-term effects of a short-sided, large-scale weapon that America used. From what I recall, it painted the citizens in a good light less so than the soldiers. It's been a while since I read it, however, so maybe it's time to pick it up again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4