• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Say Hello to Black Jack Author Makes Title Copyright-Free

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
EXCELLENT!

A REAL author (and not the evil middlemen --> publishers) that GETS IT!

Its so refreshing to see a mangaka actually standing up to the a darn publisher, the only real entity screwing up in so many ways creators (and customers/fans as well), particularly in the royalties department and using creators as mere pawns that can be screwed over and over again.

Good, it would have been so awesome if he actually stopped working with them darn publishers instead of just severing his contract with one to jump in to the other, he should go totally online and publish all his works on his site, but oh well, actions like this are much welcomed regardless.

But I am not that naive and this seems to have roots in a personal vendetta against Kodansha, hence stating that anyone is free now to use this manga even for commercial purposes, of course only for this manga and not for all his works.

However Sato is well known for wanting to embrace (and actually embracing and taking advantage of --instead of saying the doomsday is just at the door---) the digital era and the internet so this in itself speaks so darn well of him and that he is a man with vision and intelligence.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I hope he can still make enough money to survive after this. that said who is going publish say hello now, I could see vertical doing it.
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I hope he can still make enough money to survive after this. that said who is going publish say hello now, I could see vertical doing it.

Re-read the article and read past news about this, you will find more info and better understanding of his decision, theres good info particularly about the money you point out.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:56 am Reply with quote
Just because he want to give away his works, I don't know about him being visionary and intelligent. Anyone can tell that he just wants to expose his works to worldwide audience because middlemen favors certain established artists more than him.

If he really wants to make money from his works, then he has to offer some sort of merchandise to sell. Money isn't going to roll in automatically just because he offered his work for free.
anigu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:38 am Reply with quote
At least this is a victory for the mangaka side in their war with the publisher.

I just hope Negima author could do the same too.
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Just because he want to give away his works, I don't know about him being visionary and intelligent. Anyone can tell that he just wants to expose his works to worldwide audience because middlemen favors certain established artists more than him.

If he really wants to make money from his works, then he has to offer some sort of merchandise to sell. Money isn't going to roll in automatically just because he offered his work for free.

The fact that you lack the vision to see how this can advantageous for him and how it can make him money does not mean it cannot be possible, prove? This mangaka and some other and many businesses who would want to argue against you.

You absorbed well the teachings, reasoning and ideals of the capitalism, thats why you probably cant see how this can be converted into money. Actually some middlemen know it but since it does not get the money as much and as fast and it means more work, specially brain work, why bother when you can just monopolize everything and anything via copyright!

Guess you dont know the full situation and background of this case hence why you dont pinpoint what I meant by that.

By visionary and intelligent I pointed it to the fact that this mangaka has been working hard to embrace and take advantage of the digital era = internet and digital distribution = online publication, and has worked towards this goal.

Also let enter the world of speculation, who tells you this guy is just in solely for the money?

As I said you have absorbed well the teachings of capitalism, if something does not make you money its useless.

For all we know this mangaka may want people to know and enjoy his works, you know, like all art used to be centuries ago.

Anyway in worst case scenario, as you pointed this can only get him to be more known and have a bigger fanbase than he already has which can get him more money in his current and future projects even if with this one ge doe snot get more money anymore, which he already ahs anyway with his past publications, its almost impossible that this can be negative for him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1