• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga in Spanish from Public Square Books

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AchtungAffen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
What? Norma Editorial translations?? Don't buy this if you value your money.
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
AchtungAffen wrote:
What? Norma Editorial translations?? Don't buy this if you value your money.

Thanks for the advice.

Now tell us why.
AchtungAffen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote
For starters, Norma's translations are for a very "local" spanish. Not the same spoken throughout Latin America (which I think is more or less the market for these releases). And then, they're famous for bad translations. Besides, in Spain it's more or less the rule to "spanishize" all words. That means changing the names and stuff, not exactly like HK bootlegs as with character names (although I'm not sure), but yes with titles. So, beware.
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:03 am Reply with quote
I think most manga fans out there that already buy english-translated manga would know how localization works, so it's not like its that different, just in Spanish.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
AchtungAffen wrote:
For starters, Norma's translations are for a very "local" spanish. Not the same spoken throughout Latin America (which I think is more or less the market for these releases). And then, they're famous for bad translations. Besides, in Spain it's more or less the rule to "spanishize" all words. That means changing the names and stuff, not exactly like HK bootlegs as with character names (although I'm not sure), but yes with titles. So, beware.

Mediocre translations, localization of titles . . . heck, that sounds like Tokyopop.

But hey, good news for our Spanish-reading buddies. I'm no expert or anything, but as a girl in a state where Spanish is practically an official language, I haven't seen that much Spanish-language manga out there.
AchtungAffen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
She could probably get imports from Editorial Ivrea. They are Argentinians, probably cheaper (and I mean a lot cheaper) and they respect their titles a lot more. The only downside is that they also use localized spanish.
Jin-Roh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:14 am Reply with quote
Norma is very expensive in price, and most of the times the quality doesnt come along. Here in Spain it has a bad reoutation of overcharging.

For the "localization" in the translation, I have been reading Spanish manga for the last two years of beign here, and there are not that many words or verbal conjugations to make it unreadable.

Jin-Roh, The real Panzer cop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1