• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Schedule Change

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
The schedual change is complicated, and I'm wondering why they wanted to do this in the first place. It was convenint for all the anime to be one day. It was alot easier to keep up with everything. I understand they want higher ratings, but splitting all of thier popular animes on different days? h
Overseer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Well I remember in one of their spots they complained that no one was watching on Saturday. I'm just annoyed that my VCR decided to be a putz and didn't record Champloo for me. Based on the schedule though, seems this past wednesday was an old episode, damn good thing.

peace,
CR

*notices* wow... I've had an account for 2 and a half years and that's my first post.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote
that really sucks that they're showing Samurai Champloo on the weekday sechdule. what a waste. there's no way the ratings were that bad.

and why the helll is Stroker and Hoop on saturdays?
slickwataris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for informing us now after they have all already aired in their new timespot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru393

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:53 pm Reply with quote
that sucks i liked inuyasha on saturday nights not tuesday nights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ginzugirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna bust -- I've held back since AS announced their new anime schedule in November! Stand back ... she's gonna blow!

First: I find it ironic that AS elects to minimalize it's anime schedule when anime was what built their ratings in the first place, starting waaaayyyyy back in '01.

Your old timers might recall AS was born out of something called Midnight Run which aired encore episodes of DZB and Sailor Moon for us big kids, late night. When AS was created it plodded along thru 1999-2000 airing recycled Dr. Katz, SpaceGhost Coast-to-Coast and other comedy animation until introducing Gundam Wing + other mecha anime into the mix.

In late summer 2002 AS gained significant ratings momentum by adding programs newer series like Cowboy BeBop and InuYasha into the late night block. Now, high on ratings success, AS circled back to the heavy a 'comedy' heavy rotation. (alleged 'comedy', that is ...)

Second: What sandpapers my ass is the crap replacing the majority of AS anime library! I enjoy Family Guy, Boondocks and Venture Bros. - they're a scream - but "Squidbillies", etux? If these new shows were actually funny, I'd be more accepting, but this batch of AS crap has the look, writing & voice acting of a bunch of group home residents off their meds!

Third: Since AS has a tradition of trashing e-mail from anime fans on air with their stupid bumpers, I'll vote with my remote, M-W at 12:30am. Perhaps if enough of us just tune in for that 30 minutes of anime goodness, AS ratings might tank, before and after that time slot.

Fourth: Having endured this new schedule for the first week, I'm amazed at all the good stuff I've missed on other channels, caught up on my own DVD anime library, my reading AND scored some extra sleep.

Ahhhhhh..... I feel MUCH better. Thanks for your patience!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Unsurprising.

According to this rec.arts.anime.misc post from someone with access to all the ratings data, during November sweeps, Inu Yasha was the only AS-aired anime to do reasonably well.

Quote:
Inuyasha is still the most watched anime.

The rest of the anime fell a lot, and were even beaten or matched by 2 AM and 2:30 AM weekday programs. FMA bested at #72, Champloo at #101, and Neon Genesis Evangelion at #109. No sign of Scryed.

As for the rest of AS, The Boondocks did great, Family Guy took all top 10 slots, 12 Oz. Mouse and Stroker and Hoop both made comebacks. Robot Chicken is on the decline.

(The rankings shown are how all the individual airings of shows on AS ranked in overall viewership compared to one another. They aren't the overall Nielsen rankings.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
patch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Overseer wrote:
*notices* wow... I've had an account for 2 and a half years and that's my first post.

Impressive Smile Welcome to the forums Wink
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
The [schedule] change is complicated, and I'm wondering why they wanted to do this in the first place.

They always change the schedule at almost regular intervals, typically around sweeps and holidays. CN has a habit of doing this, too.

I don't know why people think frequent schedule changes is a good thing. We have attention spans, you know.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
You already told us about this a few months ago, ANN. ><

But anyway, it's still a good reminder.

AS is really screwed up. This is not going to help their anime ratings at all...It will probably lower them. And how many times will they show Cowboy Bebop? I've never seen it beginning to end, and I've tried to watch it that way a few times on AS, but after about four or five episodes, they always take it off, so there's no way I'm going to try that again...I'll go to bed earlier...

And it seems IGPX is a failure, so I guess it's not going to get any longer! Is it playing in Japan yet? If not, they probably won't show it. The show is crap, anyway. And I'm not surprised the Bobobo dubbed failed, as well. It's absolutely terrible.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
It really doesn't matter what time they come on, I only watch Adult Swim on Saturdays and Sundays.

Quote:

Third: Since AS has a tradition of trashing e-mail from anime fans on air with their stupid bumpers, I'll vote with my remote, M-W at 12:30am. Perhaps if enough of us just tune in for that 30 minutes of anime goodness, AS ratings might tank, before and after that time slot.

Do you have a Neilsen's ratings box? If not, then your "vote" doesn't count. When they say "1.5 million people watched X show", it doesn't mean that 1.5 million people had it on their tvs, it means that several thousand Neilsen's families had it on their tv, and each of them represented X viewers, giving an estimated total viewers. For the average tv viewer, it doesn't matter what you watch, if you don't want to actually watch something, then don't watch it, nobody will care in the slightest either way other than you.
SemperFi_662000

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:15 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know which episode theyll be on when they start showing Samurai Champloo on weekdays?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
ginzugirl wrote:
I

First: I find it ironic that AS elects to minimalize it's anime schedule when anime was what built their ratings in the first place, starting waaaayyyyy back in '01.

Your old timers might recall AS was born out of something called Midnight Run which aired encore episodes of DZB and Sailor Moon for us big kids, late night. When AS was created it plodded along thru 1999-2000 airing recycled Dr. Katz, SpaceGhost Coast-to-Coast and other comedy animation until introducing Gundam Wing + other mecha anime into the mix.

In late summer 2002 AS gained significant ratings momentum by adding programs newer series like Cowboy BeBop and InuYasha into the late night block. Now, high on ratings success, AS circled back to the heavy a 'comedy' heavy rotation. (alleged 'comedy', that is ...)

Huh, so anime ratings did help AS in the early days. I didn't know that. I guess the ratings were so good on Saturdays that they got rid of AS Action for a while, before bringing it back. Also Dr. Katz and Gundam Wing never aired on AS and AS was started in 2001.

Look my point is that the anime ratings have never really compared to the comedy ratings. Even back during the days when AS was on only Saturday and Sunday, the comedy ratings were always better. The reason they made this decision is to try to get better ratings for these shows. More people watch AS on the weekdays than weekends, so they're trying to see if this will work for anime.

Also, I believe the episode for Champloo will be "War of the Words."
Byakuya Kuchiki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
This is just another reason I am starting to hate AS. I only watch AS for its anime not for its other stupid shows. They should have Inuyasha at 11 EST and Samurai Champloo on 11:30 EST. I agree with v1cious on why the hell are they having stroker. Just another thing to make Sat stupid. Just like when the added the Boondocks. I should have expected a change like this since they mix stuff around alot.
emory

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:
Huh, so anime ratings did help AS in the early days. I didn't know that. I guess the ratings were so good on Saturdays that they got rid of AS Action for a while, before bringing it back. Also Dr. Katz and Gundam Wing never aired on AS and AS was started in 2001.

Not really. You couldn't call Adult Swim successful at all until 2003 when the Fox shows came along. Before that, Adult Swim was a floundering nothingness in television. Ratings for AS weren't as reported back then (no one was watching) but Saturday was given up because a lot of kids were still watching, and they felt it was better to use the time for more kids' shows and SVES rather than the underdeveloped Adult Swim.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3