• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JManga to Post Unprinted Volumes of Former Del Rey Titles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonryu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
"JManga and Kodansha are working together to digitally release all volumes from each series that were originally available in print and continue each series by releasing all previously unavailable volumes. "

Should that sentence have ended with "digitally as well"?

So now if I want to read the rest of Yagyuu Ninja Scrolls, I have to download them? That's a shame, I still prefer physical media, especially if it's a continuation of something already printed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
sonryu wrote:
"JManga and Kodansha are working together to digitally release all volumes from each series that were originally available in print and continue each series by releasing all previously unavailable volumes. "

Should that sentence have ended with "digitally as well"?

So now if I want to read the rest of Yagyuu Ninja Scrolls, I have to download them? That's a shame, I still prefer physical media, especially if it's a continuation of something already printed.

Same here. I mean, this is good news, sure, but I've no plans to buy virtual manga chapters/volumes.

Call me old fashioned, but I want those physical books. Perhaps if JManga's efforts here prove lucrative enough they or a sister company will publish the titles physically? One can dream.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I very much want the books sitting next to copies I already own but I would go a head and pick up princess resurrection 8-18 if its was the only way to read the whole story.

I would rather own a digital copy than what jmanga dose now though.

aw well at least its something.
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. While it is nice that they're releasing these titles once more, I'm not a fan of digital only manga releases. I don't like the idea of having to buy an iPad or equivalent just to be able to read it wherever you want to.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Now this is what I'm talking about. I would rather pay a few dollars to read unprinted manga then download from illegal sites so as to finish manga I started from Volume 1 of whatever, especially if this is the only way to do so legally. I mean, if there isn't a company like Yen Press, or whomever rescuing a niche title like Pastel or **fill in the blank** then I'll take this in a heartbeat. Hats off to JManga.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
While I would GREATLY prefer print copies, at least I would finally get to see how some manga ended, which is better than nothing.

The minute they make JManga compatible with iPad, I'm getting Your & My Secret vol. 8.

Hoping for Moyashimon, My Heavenly Hockey Club, and Nodame Cantabile to read from Del Rey/Kodansha.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Boo! *hissss* Booo!!!

I'd prefer the physical prints. I absolutely have no plan to get those in digital.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
If it's a series that I really liked and wanted to read the end of, then I may pick them up digitally if that's the only option, but it's so much better to have them in physical format. If nothing else, what happens when I want to reread the series 10 years from now and the online version doesn't even exist anymore? Or if it's downloaded, the app that can read it is no longer available? Maybe if they distributed them as pdfs or pngs, then that would work, but as long as they try and protect their content from being copied or pirated, the digital methods that they provide seriously suck.

So, it'll be great if some unfinished series can be finished, but at the same time, this is horrible news, because it means that they won't be picked up by someone who would actually print them. I wish that some of these publishers would at least look at doing print on demand (like Tokyopop started with towards the end). Even if it doing so meant that they charged more per volume, they avoid all of the costs associated with printing up a ton of copies that may not even sell, and we actually get physical copies of the books, which seems like a win-win to me.

I can't say that I'm happy about this trend of moving from print to digital (be it manga or novels or whatever). Providing it _in addition_ to print is fine, I suppose, but increasingly, stuff is digital-only (especially niche stuff), and it sucks. I do not want to buy anything that doesn't provide a physical copy that will outlast the publisher if they go out of business or drop the product.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
one of the problems with digital is they dont charge 'a few dollars.'
they usually charge full MSRP price, which is usually even more
anime for download has always been a bad joke
streaming services are great though as long as u are ok with a monthly fee and never accessing content again once u cancel
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I have no problem paying for physical copies of manga, but why would I pay for a digital version of a manga that I could easily get for free? The folks at JManga are either insane, or I'm in the minority.

I really feel for fans of these titles, because I'd be pissed if I had already invested in the English releases and then essentially been told, "well, we're releasing the rest digitally, so you should be happy!"
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
I have no problem paying for physical copies of manga, but why would I pay for a digital version of a manga that I could easily get for free? The folks at JManga are either insane, or I'm in the minority.

Because some of us prefer to do things legally?

Quote:
I really feel for fans of these titles, because I'd be pissed if I had already invested in the English releases and then essentially been told, "well, we're releasing the rest digitally, so you should be happy!"

Because otherwise those of us who do prefer to do things legally won't get to ever read these. The chance of a license rescue for many of these are slim to never as sales weren't stellar. I'm not thrilled to be buying these digitally, as I said I would immensely prefer physical, but if given a choice between this or nothing, I'd like to see how the manga finishes.
Genet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
one of the problems with digital is they don't charge 'a few dollars.'
they usually charge full MSRP price, which is usually even more
anime for download has always been a bad joke
streaming services are great though as long as u are ok with a monthly fee and never accessing content again once u cancel

Jmanga doesn't charge MSRP for print volume price (Though they used to charge a lot more). Most of their stuff is like $5 a volume.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Given the option of a digital purchase or a physical purchase I will take the digital one. I think that the only media that I purchase in physical form is manga at this point and some anime. All my TV shows, movies, books, comics, video games and music are all via Digital services.
Jure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:35 am Reply with quote
I guess I should give up on that final volume of Ghost Hunt... there is just no way I am buying anything digitally.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:06 am Reply with quote
Dead Tree version, or no sale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2