• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony USA to Offer Kurozuka, Ultraviolet, Viper's Creed DVDs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Would've preferred Blu-ray, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. Wink
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
This could be an interesting way of approaching things. I wonder what the packaging will be like. I'll be picking up Kurozuka, assuming it's at least Sentai quality ie an ugly case with nothing more than a cover and some artwork on the DVD.

I hope this does well. There's a ton of anime out there that maybe isn't popular enough to justify a 5,000 print run and having to store it in a warehouse, but could recoup the like $100 setup cost of a print-on-demand service. It'd be nice if the success of this could lead to more titles coming to the US.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, none of these shows were very good. Viper's Creed was okay at best but took too long to get on its feet. Kurozuka's plot is a big mess despite being a very pretty show. Ultraviolet is just bad. I may consider being up the former two and unlikely the latter.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
where is nodame cantable on dvd or a dub for paris, what about the tv deal you said was going to do.
Giant_Robo_28

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
If they offer this for the 2001 TV series of Cyborg 009, I'll totally support this DVD program!
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Giant_Robo_28 wrote:
If they offer this for the 2001 TV series of Cyborg 009, I'll totally support this DVD program!

Ditto!
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
The only thing on this list that I want is Kurozuka, if only because I heard the show was very pretty.

Still no luck on Nodame Cantabile. Sad
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
Still no Cyborg 009? C'mon Sony....

Were these titles licensed a while ago by Sony, or did they license them specifically for this?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
Giant_Robo_28 wrote:

Ditto!

Would be damned cool. I'd be all over those as well! I think I even bought both the edited vol 1 and the uncut 1-2 since the now dead FYE only got them in one at a time and I didn't want to take any chances back then I wanted the rest of the series to come out so much.

When they show up on Amazon or Rightstuf or whatever, I'll definitely pick up Vipers Creed since I enjoyed what I saw of that (I think the first 3 eps). Have always been interested in picking that up so this is cool that it's finally coming out and I'll finally see the rest too.

I will think about the other two as well due to Kurozuka at least getting praised for the visuals as supporting these finally getting releases might get some other more "minor" properties released in the future. And perhaps helping the possibility of them revisiting even another old title in Cyborg 009 2001 if these don't do horribly since most of the work might be done on that title too.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Were these titles licensed a while ago by Sony, or did they license them specifically for this?

I believe both Kurozuke and Ultraviolet have been on Crackle for a while, and for the third, at least some, if not all, of Vipers Creed was on G4, so I think they've had these for a while.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
Nodame has also been on Crackle for quite awhile. I'd much rather have that on DVD than any of these 3 mediocre titles.
VinceA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:53 am Reply with quote
Might jump on a set of Viper's Creed discs if they're reasonably priced. Would also love to see Cyborg 009 get a full release...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:59 am Reply with quote
Interesting. Anyone know how this DVD-on-demand thing actually works? Is this something that can be ordered through an online retailer like TRSI? Where does one actually go to order such a thing?
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:06 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure you'd have to go through Sony's site to buy a copy. I can't attest to their quality, but the article did use the phrase "DVD-R", so it's going to be less than a real pressing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:21 am Reply with quote
Thanks. That makes sense. Has anyone ever had any experience with one of these made on demand dealios before?
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Sony actually produced these series. They did English dubs for an Animax broadcast in Asia with a Crackle streaming in North America. Viper's Creed, and Ultraviolet also had a brief run on G4 earlier this year IIRC.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2