• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Night of the Living Viewers Like You

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Although My anime DVD collection isn't big as some collectors, I'm still glad that they're limited edition and in mint condition.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Regarding watching a lot of anime, broad tastes, etc I would say I'm one of those. It doesn't take much time to watch a lot actually, considering each episode is only 18 - 20 mins. You can watch 6 episodes a day in only two hours. I guess most people watch other TV, but I don't so that frees up other time for me.

Regarding sports anime, it's a shame there's no market for it here, except for Crunchyroll, fortunately, but there is appeal in both the more realistic camp and the non-realistic camp. Relying on purely realism alone--without any human drama--gets pretty boring. I imagine Chihayafuru or Saki being focused just on Karuta or Mahjong would not be as appealing

Even then, most of the realistic ones aren't still technically that real considering the extra thick strategic plotting involved. In real life, sports is much more ad hoc. One attribute that annoys me a bit with sports anime is how long they can drag out the games, like Giant Killing which you could classify as one of the more realistic ones. On the other hand, The Knight in the Area moved along quickly for a change.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
As a self-professed physical media Luddite "collector", I don't feel like an endangered species just yet. Netflix (which is online-only in Canada) may have decimated video rental outlets, but, as for physical media sales, I can still buy CD's, books, Blu-Rays, DVD's, and games at any number of mainstream retail outlets. I expect the number of places I can buy physical media at will diminish over the next decade, but it's never going to go away completely so long as there are those of us who like to "own" our media in a format we can put on a shelf or a rack.

I can totally relate to Randy Marsh's refusal to let Blockbuster die on Wednesday's South Park. I still lament the loss of my local Blockbuster, and then, a couple of months later, all the remaining Blockbusters in Canada. I like the visceral experience of browsing physical cases at a video rental store, it's just not the same browsing via pull-down menus. I've procrastinated at getting a membership at the last remaining video rental store in my neigbourhood, Jumbo Video, but I haven't given in and been assimilated into the Netflix Borg.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
The comment about SHAFT selling out confuses me, as that implies that at some point, they were not pandering to the audience for the sake of profit. Pretty sure Moon Phase was doing that before people even realized moe was destroying anime.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The comment about SHAFT selling out confuses me, as that implies that at some point, they were not pandering to the audience for the sake of profit. Pretty sure Moon Phase was doing that before people even realized moe was destroying anime.

It wasn't until Bakemonogatari that they even had a legit success, until then, their most successful show was what, Hidamari?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
you should check out PoyoPoyo it is quite a bit of fun. I would say that I didn't like the first episode, but the second and third episodes get to be funny, and episode 4 and on hit it's rhythm if I remember right. the show gets to be quite funny.

there has also never been a replacement for megaupload. I would like for the streaming and download sites to go down. As an old fashioned subber, who wants the industry to do well. because I want people to be exposed to amazing shows that are...older.

Also from my experience with my amazon store (it pays a bill or two) and from my conversations with rightstuf the baccano blurays have been selling very well and that was a rerelease.

Also I know that this isn't an "anime" but orginally 999 wasn't going to get a sequel, it didn't sell well in japan it only sold 30,000 copies. however in the US it has sold 200,000 copies. I would say that is a huge difference.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:23 am; edited 4 times in total
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
I just finished listening to the Twitter question section of the show, and I had to chuckle when Zac was talking about anime reviewers and how some will always post positive reviews in order to keep getting screeners.

This made me chuckle, because I've been reviewing anime for five years now, and I've *never* gotten a screener from any of the anime companies. Because of that, I'm writing reviews of physical media that I've either purchased myself or that I've checked out through my local library system. I've also been starting to watch a little bit through streaming now that I have an Internet connection that can handle it.

Of course, I'm probably not getting screeners to review because:

1) the site I write for doesn't just focus on anime, and I don't have a big enough name as a reviewer yet to catch the attention of anime companies
2) I've never approached any of the anime companies for screeners. In some respects, that's due to my previous point. It's also due to knowing the economic state of the industry, and wanting to do what I can to support the industry by purchasing my own copies or sending in purchase requests to my local library system in the hopes that they will purchase copies to add to their collection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't say that we've combed through old anime and plucked all the gems out yet. Rose of Versailles is just coming out here now, and there's a ton of other great shoujo that still hasn't seen the light of day in the West.

I've cut down on my anime purchases, only buying shows I really like. Streaming works better for my shelves and my budget.

Last edited by Ojamajo LimePie on Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Surprised that you guys didn't mention kuroko's basketball for an example of a fun over the top show, or big windup as an example of realistic

That was nuts though with the guy threading the event just because he dislike kuroko. I can totally understand why he would dislike it, it is pretty much prince of tennis basketball (but actually good, and accessible to guys).

As for the digital question I prefer the physical copies.in many of the cases I will go physical just because I can sell them back. however there are some cases like the umineko novels where I needed to own a physical copy to cherish. I grew up in the itunes generation but I need a large backlog to lend out my favorite titles to people.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:00 am Reply with quote
I really wanted to be on this podcast but I just didn't get noticed. Hopefully it wont be nearly another year before I get another opportunity.

Code Geass was really popular on the internet but didn't do as well when it came to DVD. If Bandai Visual wants it to get licensed by Sentai or Funimation then it probably would but FMA Brotherhood did better from what I saw (the ratings on Adult Swim were certainly better).

I look back at the anime and manga I could have gotten and now that they are out of print I really want to see them. With anime you cant guarantee that 5 years from now you can simply go on the internet and see it again by legal means or rent it from some website.

So as an anime fan unless you just want to pirate stuff then its a necessity to buy anime in physical form.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote
I dunno, if you like Only Yesterday, I'd say chances are good you'll enjoy From Up on Poppy Hill as well. With the realistic setting, calm, somehow nostalgic atmosphere, at least to me it felt more similar to that one and Ocean Waves than Ghibli's fantasy works.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to the revenge of the 00's! I became a serious anime fan in the in the early 2000's and nearly all of my favourite shows and movies are from that period, whereas the previous two Revenge shows mostly dealt with stuff I either hadn't watched or had never even heard of before (which is its own kind of interesting, of course).

I know you guys only briefly mentioned it but I wanted to comment on the "race-bending" aspect of Cloud Atlas. After reading the views of people who have seen the movie I think it was done for legit artistic reasons and not due to Hollywood racism. And if Cloud Atlas was the only movie to feature white actors portraying characters of other races I'd be content to let the issue go there. But unfortunately there is a past history of that happening (along with non-white actors being side-lined in general) and I feel like the movie is continuing that trend whether or not that was the film-maker's intent- it's a case of different motivations causing the same outcome. I get the feeling that people are less angry over this one movie than what it represents in the grand scheme of things. Maybe that's unfair, but it's an attitude I can understand,

I'm going to see the movie and let it speak for itself anyway, I just wanted to throw my two cents in there.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Regarding sports anime, it's a shame there's no market for it here, except for Crunchyroll, fortunately, but there is appeal in both the more realistic camp and the non-realistic camp. Relying on purely realism alone--without any human drama--gets pretty boring. I imagine Chihayafuru or Saki being focused just on Karuta or Mahjong would not be as appealing

It is interesting that CrunchyRoll seems to find some sort of success with sports anime, to the point where a number of them are seemingly some of the site's most popular stream (not Top 10, maybe, but some are in the Top 20-25). It does make me wish that they would pick up some sports anime they missed the first time around, if only to add to their catalog. There are titles like Whistle!, Monkey Turn (which Viz had the master rights to after merging with ShoPro but never did anything with it), Ring ni Kakero 1, Captain Tsubasa (at least the 2002 show), One Outs, Big Windup! Season 2, Buzzer Beater, Capeta, Major, & Ginga e Kickoff!! (i.e. the "other" Spring 2012 soccer anime that debuted alongside Knight in the Area, & is apparently much better) that all could use the penetration & appreciation that the titles CR presently has have the chance to get. And, yes, all of the titles I listed debuted after 2000.

Quote:
Even then, most of the realistic ones aren't still technically that real considering the extra thick strategic plotting involved. In real life, sports is much more ad hoc.

I have actually never heard of the whole strategic plotting element being brought up when it comes to sports anime, but it does make a good lead to another point I had. Zac didn't include it in the actual episode, but after our talk I did bring up how I find it interesting that there is seemingly no one main reason why sports anime is unappealing to most anime fans here in North America. Sure, there are some repeated reasons, but there doesn't seem to be any reason that is overwhelmingly supported or repeated enough to be considered a "main reason", like how vintage anime tends to be a hard sell simply because of age. I think, because of that, companies over here haven't been able to find a way to make it appeal, and that might be why seemingly every company that has handled anime over here has tried out sports anime at least once, hoping that they could find the title that can appeal to a large-enough audience.

Quote:
One attribute that annoys me a bit with sports anime is how long they can drag out the games, like Giant Killing which you could classify as one of the more realistic ones. On the other hand, The Knight in the Area moved along quickly for a change.

For more faster-paced sports anime, you have to look a little deeper than CrunchyRoll, unfortunately. Monkey Turn & Ring ni Kakero 1, for example, have fast pacing (RnK1 Season 2 is a little slower, though) but are also only available through shadier means... Hell, the only way to watch Monkey Turn with any sort of English translation requires one to rely on very rough bootleg subs, and the second season (Monkey Turn V) isn't even available in English in any way. Luckily, the first season ends off on a good note where you could stop there and be happy with the ending. Ring ni Kakero 1, on the other hand, has good fansubs, but they only go up to the half-way point of Season 3, requiring one to look for raws or other-language subs to watch the rest of, which I am annoyed at since I do feel that RnK1 is horribly underknown over here, let alone underrated or underappreciated. I wish that sports anime had a place where it could be more visible & appreciated, but I guess 'thems the breaks'.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
has anyone else seen kyousogiga that is a really good 8 minute episode series.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
If you feel like discussing truly underground Japanese musical acts, perhaps I should get in on the next one. I run a panel on the stuff ranging from kinda-tweaked pop/rock all the way to what-the-hell-was-that? at Anime North every year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3