• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece, Evangelion, Wolf Children, Momo, Friends Earn Japan Academy Prize Nods

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
Wolf Children should win. please vote for it, whoever that has the vote.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
Thermae Romae was hilarious. Abe Hiroshi as usual did a fantastic job.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
HOLY CRAP! Film Z got nominated?!?! I doubt it'll win considering it's competition but now I REALLY can't wait to see it!
rarirurero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Wolf Children made off with the main prize as well as the people's choice award at Oslo, Norway's "Films From the South" festival in 2012.
No word on whether these two festivals reference each other when choosing winners.

Anyway, I enjoyed it!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
This is good news to see all these titles getting awards. I really want to see Friends: Mononoke Shima no Naki. I hope it gets a screening this year at the NYICFF. It almost has a Monster's Inc feel.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Cool, One Piece made it.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Wolf Children. Without a shadow of a doubt. If it doesn't win, I'll eat my new and very cool hat.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
Evangelion got this---that movie was stunning!!! OP does not even fit into this category, how did it even get nominated? W/e, eva easily wins this!!! (I predict lol, or wolf children 2nd choice)
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
3.0 is a good choice, hopefully it gets something. I dont want to hate on one pice but its a very superficial piece of entertainment, all action no substance, not that its bad but i dont believe it deserves this type of award.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:27 am Reply with quote
I wonder how many of the people here have seen One Piece Film Z?

Answer: none
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote
I think it'll be "Wolf Children." "Evangelion" was very, very good too, but it's still one piece of an incomplete work. If animation quality were the only thing being considered, I'd say "Letter to Momo" would be a shoe-in, but as a movie it did nothing for me. "One Piece: Z" I haven't seen, but I will say that the "One Piece" movies I have watched have often been a cut above the standard Shonen Jump spinoff movies (thanks in one case to having the director of "Wolf Children"). Still, "Z" would need to be to "One Piece" what "Castle of Cagliostro" is to "Lupin III" for it to have a chance against this year's competition.
methaniel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote
To me it's winner is clearly One Piece Z.
The film is just that good. I don't really like One Piece movies for various reasons, Strong World did left a good impression but still leaving of as a "One Piece Movie" feel for me, but Z...
No it has just been that good that I went to see it twice, while that's not the case for any of the other movies nominated (there is one I don't know in the middle though to be honest).
Though, it is rather strange to compare it to Momo or Wolf Children and wouldn't really be able to chose it if it wasn't for all the hype One Piece gave me. The other movies were really good after all (well, as someone said Evangelion, despite doing a complete original story by now is still on-going so I can't really see an incomplete movie winning)
Kutsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:26 am Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
Wolf Children. Without a shadow of a doubt. If it doesn't win, I'll eat my new and very cool hat.

This.

The Japan Academy Prize does nominate movies from big manga/anime franchise, in fact Doraemon and Detective Conan movies have been nominated multiple times (every single time except for this one for Detective Conan actually) as were One Piece Strong World and Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0 but none of those films ever won and this year should be no different since in the end the jury tends to be a bit disdainful towards franchise movies.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
methaniel wrote:
The other movies were really good after all (well, as someone said Evangelion, despite doing a complete original story by now is still on-going so I can't really see an incomplete movie winning)

What are you talking about? Did you see 2.0? That thing left on a bigger cliffhanger than 3.0 and got multiple awards. 3.0 is a very complete film--it delivers and concludes what it was meant to do. Its part of the 4-film remake but so what? OP is yet another shonen and is not even a "serious movie"---its a cartoon for young kids, while eva and wolf children are also "cartoons" but have an older audience as its viewers and are more serious overall. Anyway, my point is that because a film is "incomplete"--it does not mean its not worthy of wining....
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
[weeaboo]Yeah these are the awards that count, feck Hollywood and them feckers. [/weeaboo] Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2