• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Media Adds Blue Submarine No. 6 Video Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Funny I just saw the announcement on FB. This is an oldie that does deserve to see a re-release. It's been awhile.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
So this was the title they were teasing, huh? Can't say I saw this one coming.

Not really a favorite of mine, but it's still good to see Discotek expanding into the bluray market. Maybe we'll get those Gunbuster BDs someday after all. Very Happy
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't this digital? I can't imagine it looking too stupendous on BD, and the few screenshots I'm seeing show that. Now, before I'm attacked "HOW CAN YOU JUDGE ON SO LITTLE?!" I can at least see it's upscaled and smeared. It's a better effort than other horrible HD upscales, but it's still no film transfer or proper HD.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
We had this on VHS originally & bought DVD's a few years ago, BD will be welcome along with a re-mastering.

Thanks, Discotek!

Mark Gosdin
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Range Murata character designs are always nice but the 3D work is ugly and the story's a mess.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
As a Blue Sub mark, I hope they just put all four episodes on one disc this time. There was no reason for Bandai to make us buy four separate discs in the single print run or make us switch from one side to the other with the Anime Legends box set. The episodes are only half an hour long. Don't tell us you can't put it all on one disc because that's a [expletive] lie.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if we could get this released in the UK for the first time. At least it will be back in print somewhere though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Good luck with this one Discotek, if FUNi's FLCL BD did ok then this should too.

Comparison: http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1824068
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh, neat! Hopefully they won't release it on four freakin' separate discs like Bandai did (and their complete collection pack wasn't an improvement, it was just two two-sided discs). Seriously, the eps were like a half hour, yet they each got their own disc!

Also, a Bandai title has been rescued! This gives me hope for the future!
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Discotek tell us that unless the Blu-ray was a considerable improvement over the DVD they wouldn't release the BD? It's why we never got the Lupin III BD.

Going by the comparison NJ_ posted, the BD is just another crap Q-Tec upscale.

Now granted, depending on what you want to look at, it looks better than Bandai's DVD's, but to my knowledge the Japanese DVD's were progressive, and not interlaced to hell, so Discotek would end up with much, much better DVD's than Bandai put out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IkariGendo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Friend who compared R2J DVDs with the BDs opted for DVDs, saying BDs were a qtec mess, and he knows his video stuff, so I'd trust his opinion.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I hope they keep that boxset for the DVD, since that seems like the version I'd opt to get over that BD.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
All Gonzo shows are 100% digital and nearly all are native SD. This being an earlier one is definitely not an exception so would have to be an upscale.

IIRC there was little to no blending of 2D and 3D so they technically could be able to touch up the models and re-render the 3DCG segments if they had the original elements but...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
IIRC there was little to no blending of 2D and 3D so they technically could be able to touch up the models and re-render the 3DCG segments if they had the original elements but...

The BD is already two and a half years old so I doubt there's any improvements to be done in visuals, aside from tweaking.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Considering my old copy is still on a vhs copy this is good news for me. This is one of those titles I sort of forgot about but always enjoyed. Now I can finally give it a nice upgrade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2