• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Tongue in Cheek

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beized

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Whats with the weird cut when you mention Carl Macek?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Beized wrote:
Whats with the weird cut when you mention Carl Macek?

I mispronounced his name during the initial record and thought it'd be amusing if it were a super-obvious edit.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing the movie Justin was talking about was Anything Goes?
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
About Gundam - they have been doing Gundam Unicorn so I'm guessing that is keeping them busier.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Gudam Age came out last year, Gundam Unicorn is still going on, and Gundam Seed Destiny remastered is coming out in a few months so you need to wait a few years for a new Gundam tv series.

As for Gundam Origin, they announced it after everyone crapped on AGE but nothing has been said since, and it could have just been some extremely dense Bandai Exec trying to calm people down on Gundam AGE's reception

The Geneon podcast was amazing, it really was informative, and it shows why Geneon went out of business, and why the anime companies collapsed as quickly as they did.

I have a tendency to find a ton of stuff to be unintentionally hilarious. Its actually a problem.

Disclaimer for Angel Cop: At some point the writer stops the anime to give his crazy conspiracy theories on the United States such as the fact that they tricked Saddam Hussein into invading Kuwait, the Vietnam war was just an excuse to test and weapons, that the US is trying to turn Japan into the 55 state, and that its secretly run by the Jews.

Overman King Gainer has an unabashadly happy ending that's pretty good. Mainly because of the cute girl singing the opening song.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
There are definitely a handful of episodes of ANNCast where I have downloaded and then listened to them multiple times.

Moe Money, Moe Problems immediately comes to mind and not just because it was a roundtable discussion on breaking down the moe phenomenon. But also specifically because a) Zac pointed out how much of anything moe seemed like comfort food and even more-so b) how Hope and Greg during the episode boiled it down to there being pretty looking for two really separate things when watching a show. Some people are looking to be merely entertained by whatever twists a show does with certain genres and cliches or some people want something compelling, meaningful and connecting to reality in at least an emotional level. And while I don't fall into the former way of viewing shows, I can totally respect it. I can see what some people would get out of Girls und Panzer, Vividred Operation or A Certain Scientific Railgun. And those kind of shows aren't usually bad. They're okay or decent and I can see them being entertaining to a bunch of fans. But between seeing anime for the past 15 years and growing up to want to learn and practice animation and animated storytelling, I can't help but want to see a bit more out of anime than just being entertaining. And what I say that, that's simply my way of encouraging people in the industry who make this stuff to aim a bit higher than they normally would.

Anyway, another episode I liked was OverCooked where Justin Cook was a guest because surprisingly, I haven't seen any insight given anywhere else about how a dubbing process works in terms of what each position means, at least at Funimation. The whole relationship between a producer, line producer, and voice director and what they're all responsible for, it made me realize how much of a pyramid effect there was. I also appreciated how Justin broke down the process of dubbing between Shin Chan, SGT Frog and Hetalia. And considering his experience there, Justin was probably the best guy to interview on that stuff. It's too bad that the beginning of the episode also had you guys mourn over Satoshi Kon, not that it was a bad thing. It's just that because the beginning was sad, I'm afraid it might've risked bumming people out too much to hear through an otherwise informative episode.

Let's see, what else? Even these were episodes where you guys were shooting the breeze, I liked whatever episodes where you and maybe a guest took 5-10 minutes to give your prespective on whatever heated topic there was at the time. Like the episode Men Inaction, where Zac criticized people that got negative over Toonami's return or the episode North by Northdrop (which strangely enough was the only episode sponsered by something) where you guys responded to the "THIS WON'T STOP PIRACY" argument or the episodes, Homeward Bund or A Shawne Thing where you briefly touched on the censorship and free speech topics.

That's actually another thing. Anything where there was a roundtable discussion like the Moe Money, Moe Problems episode or The League of Extraordinary Supernerds episode that talked about piracy or the S-E-X-X-I-S-M episode or the Whiplash episode on well, sexism in anime and games (sometimes I just can't figure out your puns Zac Laughing). Personally I would like to hear more of those. Though I can't figure out which topics I'd personally would like to hear, not that my suggestions would matter anyway.

Oh and those episodes with Lance and Adam saying what's doing well for Funimation every several months are also good.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
ben_the_bear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
The Macek show was great. I really enjoy the episodes where Justin talks about blu-ray technology.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't know. No question there were plenty of incredibly by the numbers shows during the early 90s. But I still think it was a lot more tolerable that the current trends. My reaction to 90s mecha crap is more utter indifference. It's really trite and forgettable. I have no desire to continue watching it. It isn't close to being as utterly off-putting as the modern era cliches though which are just so dumb and gross and creepy that I find them completely intolerable. Of course, in the end, I don't really want to watch either of these types of shows which is why the bad forgettable shows don't really matter per say. However, I find myself put off by the modern tropes even in shows that actually do something to make them worth watching which for me is the problem. If those mecha elements leak into other better shows it doesn't really diminish the show. I find it more difficult to get away from the more unpleasant stuff in modern anime though.

Of course, in the end, there are plenty of great shows from the modern period in anime despite the bad. And in fact, if we're talking specifically about the early 90s, there actually isn't a lot of stuff I like from that era. So while the bad anime from then was slightly more tolerable, it still might just be the worst period for anime short of reaching all the way back to the 70s (where we saw all of five shows are year or something). There are a number of movies but more or less the OVA boom was on its last legs by that point. With a few exceptions, we weren't really seeing the same quantity of stuff as in the late 80s. And TV anime was pretty much utterly forgettable. Like...I can barely think of anything. Thank god for Evangelion in 1995 (which I suppose was in a lot of ways a response to all those tired mecha shows of the early 90s).

Last edited by ikillchicken on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
The characters in Black Lagoon live in a sh**-stained, blood-soaked, grimy, gritty world, so the look of the show suits it beautifully, as does the drab attire of its characters. At least it doesn't have that "too shiny for its own good" early 2000s effect.

Gundam Unicorn's still going strong, and I'd love to see a 0079 remake (directed by Tomino or Yas), but considering some of the other "efforts" put out in the past few years for the franchise, perhaps it's best that they give Gundam TV shows a bit of a break. It's a shame that Gundam AGE had such a great premise, a great dynamic with the "ages", having three parts with the three generations of heroes, and the AGE system, but they squandered it with the weak storytelling and unlikable characters. It feels like the folks who come up with the concepts to Gundam shows are decent, but the people who actually do the writing lack talent.

I don't think I've ever "weeped" watching anime. Or anything. I mean, tears have streamed down my face during a few anime, like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Grave of the Fireflies, Giant Robo, and Farewell Yamato. I think I got misty-eyed the first time I watched the end of Cowboy Bebop.

Dragon Ball Z has an unabashedly happy ending... if a man abandoning his family to spend time with a little boy in private is happy. What about Tenchi Muyo? Pretty happy endings all around. Summer Wars! Hm, well, mostly. Eureka 7's ending is so happy, it causes diabetes.

Excel Saga is still hilarious. Certainly better than any crap Takahashi's ever put out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
...I'd love to see a 0079 remake...

That's what Gundam Origin is. We still don't have any real info on the production of that, though.

penguintruth wrote:
It feels like the folks who come up with the concepts to Gundam shows are decent, but the people who actually do the writing lack talent.

That has almost always been true of Gundam, especially the various TV series.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Bit minor but I;m curious which language track for Black Lagoon Zac's been watching. The dub is absolutely fantastic and it's definently the best way to experience the show.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
For the person who asked about places to see in Japan wait until Osaka, I would highly recommend Den Den town for a good otaku experience. I was in Japan back in November and did not buy anything until I got down to Osaka. Food is also way better as well in Osaka and the Kansai region in general, we stayed in Kyoto this time around and the food their was amazing. If you can budget it I would highly recommend a JR rail pass as it's unlimited travel on on JR lines and makes it a lot easier to get around if your looking to travel around a bit.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite podcasts is definitely the Yakuza one with Jake Adelstein. That prompted me to go out and actually buy the book, which I loved. Ended up lending it to my sister who made a post about it on her book blog, which Jake actually ended up commenting on himself.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Favorite ANNCast episodes? That's a tricky one, but I'll try to choose five of them:
The Revenge Series - Yeah, it's recent, but they are excellent episodes, with a pretty wide range of shows mentioned. Simply listing every show listed on every Revenge show, including the user lists, would be insanity, but that's part of the appeal.

Sam Pinansky Checks In Post-Quake - This was simply an amazing episode that really gave a great idea of just how bad that earthquake was. I'll also add in Stream It Again, Sam, the "regular" episode with Sam, because it was just great hearing about the man in general.

Tarboxed and Feathered - Another really cool episode that gave a great history lesson regarding Raijin & CMX, & where both of those labels went wrong.

Midstreaming the Cube - A personal favorite, mainly because I am a big supporter of Anime Midstream and how they somehow survive to this day, and this episode gave a great intro to the company after their first year.

16-Bit Glory - As much as I enjoyed the Macek & Chad Kime episodes, for me being able to hear the history of Vic Ireland & Working Designs was simply amazing.

Also, to just be selfish for a moment, I'll add in Viewers Like You: Blood and Ecchi as an also-ran, mainly because it was the first time I was on the a call-out show & the topic I brought with me (the license-rescue "renaissance") easily brought about the best conversation between Zac, Justin, & myself. But, again, this is a 100% selfish choice, hence why it's an also-ran & not one of the main five I chose.

Since Zac & Justin couldn't say much about Gundoh Musashi, I'll add in a little more, since I actually took on (& survived) the challenge of watching the entire show. Essentially, Musashi was an absolute train-wreck of a production, with errors made that go beyond simply being outsourced. For example, in the very first episode Musashi is shown to dodge a falling tree, but no tree is ever shown falling (yet you hear the tree falling). Probably my favorite example of utter-incompetence is from episode 11, which features a single-shot scene where one character's voice is lip-flapped to another character's mouth, followed by the mistake happening again right afterwards with two other characters! Oh, and the story completely changes half-way through, resulting in some really weird & nonsensical plot elements, and it has a non-ending, as if that's any surprise. If anyone wants a more-detailed explanation of what's wrong (and the very little that was "good"), I did a very extensive review of it over at my blog; I'm not trying to advertise my blog here, but I do feel that with Zac & Justin only being able to say so much about it I should show people a spot that can clue them in... We can't keep getting questions about Musashi on the show, afterall.

I still say, though, that it worth watching, if only to laugh & cry at how incompetently-made it was; there's a reason why I call it the anime equivalent to The Room. Finally, as much of an ironic best-seller that first DVD was, the rest of the show was never released on DVD in Japan, because the complete collection, which was supposedly going to feature completely-fixed animation, was canceled. But, to correct Justin here, the show did get an international release in Europe by Kazé France (sub-only in three non-English languages), where it was fully released on DVD and even got a complete collection re-release later on.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
Wow. I wasn't expecting Genesis Surviver Gaiarth to be mentioned on this show. I actually thought it was good, and did have a bit of a unique take on the whole post apocalyptic scifi thing.

For one, I liked how there were intelligent robots and humans living together, and the show completely avoided having one side think the other inferior; they essentially consider each other as equals. Well, the 'war roids' do get charged with protecting the humans to an extent, but in practice the humans pull their weight, too. The enemy robots are nonintelligent 'beasts', which is interesting too, because having robots of different intelligence levels is kind of unique.

It's essentially a classic sword and sorcery fantasy with a post apocalyptic setting with robots and robot beasts instead of knights and dragons, and lightsabers (essentially) instead of swords. They even have 'tame beast' mounts. The best thing though is the magic, which is delivered in the form of poetical incantations containing programming/hacking terminology. For example:

Dark one, creator, master of the gates
Assign their files to dismal fates
If directories mangle and 'hithers mung'
(can't quite hear what he says here)
Their systems forever shall be hung!

And another one (I can't find it but it's something like):

Finding entry, hacking root
Crashing systems, force reboot!

The dub is actually pretty good as far as early 90s dubs go. That's not to say it's great, or even good by today's standards, but I find it listenable.

The soundtrack is pretty cool. Keeping with the sword and sorcery told from a Scifi context, there's baroque style music with electric guitars in addition to piano. Oh, and the song that's used in the middle of the first episode and as the ending to the first and 3rd episodes wins the gold medal for being one of the most catchy songs in existence. Seriously, I first watched this a year ago, and again a few months ago, and that song still pops into my head all the time. Justin, since I know you can be partial to old Jrock, (like the Justy ending song), let me say that this one will haunt you forever Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6