• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nickelodeon to Co-Produce Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbkir

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:52 am Reply with quote
I guess Avatar, an anime-style series, was so successful for Nick that they decided to try out the real thing. The Akihabara one is the more interesting because it indicates Nick is going after an older audience, recognizing how many older teens (and even adults) are following Avatar.

As to Domo, well, fart jokes are universal humor for all ages. Anime rules, again! (^_*)
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote
Old news; but YAY!

I think in anime there's a lack of fart jokes. I'd have figured that GTO would've have plenty; but from what I saw there's been only one (episode 2). Yeah it sounds silly to want fart jokes in anime; but who cares? Farts are funny (especially if it's done by monkeys. OOH! Maybe the show will have monkeys in it!).

If you can't tell by now I'm just talking out of my @$$. The show will hopefully be great; but anime needs no spinkter trumpet to grab an audience.
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is Nickelodeon's first venture into broadcasting anime...

Not really. Anime shows have been broadcast before on Nickelodeon. "Belle and Sebastian" (the TV show, not the band), was broadcast back in the 1980s. Also "The Mysterious Cities of Gold," although whether or not that one counts as "anime" could be up for debate.
stagedive_25

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote
If you're gonna mention "City of Gold" don't forget to include "The Little Kowalla" and "Noozles".

Those were my favorite shows as a kid. Brings me back to those peaceful summer days Laughing Laughing Laughing
aluria

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
This does sound promising indeed. I've only caught glimses of Avatar but it did sound interesting and the visuals were nice. I hope this works out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryusui

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
stagedive_25 wrote:
If you're gonna mention "City of Gold" don't forget to include "The Little Kowalla" and "Noozles".

Those were my favorite shows as a kid. Brings me back to those peaceful summer days Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sheesh, that spelling makes my eyes bleed. It's "The Adventures of the Little Koala".

And why does no one remember "The Li'l Bits", "Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics" (got the entire series through a torrent; I highly recommend their somewhat Rod Serling-esque take on "The Marriage of Mrs. Fox") or "Maple Town" (got all 10 Japanese VHS tapes now)?

On a side note, the late 80's/early 90's was not the last time Nickelodeon aired anime, either. Speed Racer X was aired on Nickelodeon a few years back.

CHECK YOUR FACTS, ANN!
Examinee 623

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, the odds are that these anime will both be unmitigated disasters. If recent years have proven anything, it's that Nickelodeon has come under the influence of angry soccer moms and doesn't have the balls it used to back in the early days of its original animated programming? Remember Rocco's Modern Life or Ren & Stimpy? Those shows pushed the envelope frequently. These new programs will likely be about as engaging or funny as Spongebob Squarepants.
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Examinee 623 wrote:
These new programs will likely be about as engaging or funny as Spongebob Squarepants.
I take it you've obviously never seen Nickelodeon's Avatar: The Last Air Bender. Although I loved Rocko's Modern Life, I personally always hated Ren And Stimpy. Why does a cartoon or an anime have to have mature humor in it before it can be good? My all-time favorite Nicktoon is still The Rugrats and one of my favorite anime series is A Little Snow Fairy: Sugar and those are two of the most innocent animated series around.

I say give these shows a chance before you start bashing them. How do you know they're going to be bad if you've never even seen them yet? With anime slowly disappearing from Saturday mornings, I think it's refreshing to see Nickelodeon starting to get into airing more "pseudo" anime shows even if they don't air actual anime. I've only seen the first six episodes of Avatar but I've loved what I've seen of it so far, so I'm definetly interested in seeing what these new shows Nickelodeon will be airing will be like and I'm glad that they're getting interested in anime.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sain the Green Lance

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I really like Avatar: The Last Airbender, so if Nick can just keep that level of quality then it would be worth checking them out.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sheesh, that spelling makes my eyes bleed. It's "The Adventures of the Little Koala".

And why does no one remember "The Li'l Bits", "Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics" (got the entire series through a torrent; I highly recommend their somewhat Rod Serling-esque take on "The Marriage of Mrs. Fox") or "Maple Town" (got all 10 Japanese VHS tapes now)?

On a side note, the late 80's/early 90's was not the last time Nickelodeon aired anime, either. Speed Racer X was aired on Nickelodeon a few years back.

CHECK YOUR FACTS, ANN!

HOLY CRAP! I REMEMBER MOST OF THOSE!!!!!!!. i was like around 2 years old. those things got me started on anime. my mind was easily impressionable and it stuck. THANK GOD. if it wasnt for those, i probably never wouldve gotten into anime, now that i think about it. those days OWNED. i also got into video games at an early age, cause my neighbors had a bunch of arcade games in their basement, which included Pacman and Centipede, and some shooting ship game. whoever was in charge of the anime on nick back then, they've earned my eternal thanks. hopefully this will help a new generation of anime fans get started. now only if we can get rid of pokemon, yugioh, and all of the anime rip-offs on CN......

hey, we can dream!
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
think in anime there's a lack of fart jokes. I'd have figured that GTO would've have plenty; but from what I saw there's been only one (episode 2). Yeah it sounds silly to want fart jokes in anime; but who cares? Farts are funny (especially if it's done by monkeys. OOH! Maybe the show will have monkeys in it!).

Try watching Bokusattsu Tenshi Dokuro-Chan ("Club-to-Death Angel Dokuro-chan). There's lots of potty humor in that one.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
now only if we can get rid of pokemon, yugioh, and all of the anime rip-offs on CN......

hey, we can dream!

Woahwoahwoah, Pokemon and Yugioh ARE real anime. What on Earth would make you think they aren't? Just because you don't think they're quality programs doesn't mean they were made in "evil America," as opposed this "perfect Japan that can do no wrong" stereotype that a lot of seriously confused fans seem to have.
RezSav

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:04 am Reply with quote
"ANN Apologises for this error and would like to thank David Perez/irate message board users for their help with this article."

lol, sorry. People, when commenting on an error just say "hey, this should be changed"
K.o.R

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote
Perhaps Seventh was referring to shows that emulate anime such as Teen Titans, Totally Spies and Code Lyoko (all pretty good IMO), as well as Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh into one big marked-for-deletion block?
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote
I remember Littl' Bits... Anime cry I wish I knew where I could see that now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3